World Juniors 2015

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2015

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:Aside from the game against the USA, this has been an incredibly boring tournament for Canada. I couldn't even be bothered to tune into the game against Slovakia, but I see Canada had no problem torching them as well.

Hopefully the gold medal game is a bit more exciting, but of course we have to beat the communist bastards. Fuck you Putin.
This team is probably the best team we've iced since 2004-05.

They play as a unit, attack with speed, get solid goaltending, and are defensively responsible. The only hotshot out there is Domi, but even he plays the team game, he just likes to dangle and spin more than he'll be able to do in the NHL.

Russia is weaker, I think. But the USA was supposed to be THE team this year.....

Sweden sounds about par for the course from that tournament too.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why does Virtanen put such distance between him and his linemates while his linemates try to cyçle, maintain puck control down low along the boards? I don't get it, he's practically up at the point with his D. He does it all the time, it's not working, Jake.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Why does Virtanen put such distance between him and his linemates while his linemates try to cyçle, maintain puck control down low along the boards? I don't get it, he's practically up at the point with his D. He does it all the time, it's not working, Jake.
His physicality sure is though. Simply dominant.

And he's also trying to be somewhat responsible by staying high. When the cycle is moving it's fine, several times his linemates were just tossing it back and forth in the corner with little movement. If you want to cycle the puck, that's fine, but when it's two guys staying low, grinding along the boards with their backs to the play, someone needs to stay high.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Virtanen just flattened the russian.. penalty but I liked it :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Tiger wrote:Virtanen just flattened the russian.. penalty but I liked it :)
OK not so good.. Russians score on the PP.. but with Virtanen Doc has got his Asshole for the nucks
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Tiger wrote:
OK not so good.. Russians score on the PP.. but with Virtanen Doc has got his Asshole for the nucks
Pucker your assholes folks, we're in for a ride.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Tiger wrote:
And another PP goal fro the Russians. :o

A 5-1 lead has melted away, it's now 5-4
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Tiger wrote:

That penalty on Virtanen was horseshit. Hands were tucked, Russian didn't even go into the boards but landed alongside them. Terrible call.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Well that's going to make for an interesting start to the 3rd....
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BurningBeard wrote: Pucker your assholes folks, we're in for a ride.
If it was any more puckered...you'd see it down my throat when I shout obscenities at the refs
If you need air...call it in
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Tiger wrote:

That penalty on Virtanen was horseshit. Hands were tucked, Russian didn't even go into the boards but landed alongside them. Terrible call.
Yep a couple of real questionable penalties and the russians are going into the 3rd 5-4 with another PP .. Am puckered and screaming at the computer..
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Tiger wrote: Yep a couple of real questionable penalties and the russians are going into the 3rd 5-4 with another PP .. Am puckered and screaming at the computer..
The two charging calls really stick out. I can understand the hook and the trip, they were quite obvious. But the entire first period was the Russians running around, leaping into hits, causing all kinds of shit. Now all of a sudden its the ticky tack penalty parade to Canada.

Canada's really not helping themselves. Their defence, almost to a man, has been horrific. Nurse, in particular, has made awful pinches and rushes. In a 5-1 game, why the fuck do you feel the need to pinch when your partner is already in deep. No reason Reinhart should be the last man back, ever.

Don't think we'll see much of Virtanen the rest of the way. I think it was a bad call, but he had a pretty terrible back check that lead to the goal 37 seconds after they scored while he was in the box.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

OK.. I exhaled.. and Herb wasn't bored :)

Canada Canada Canada.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Tiger wrote:OK.. I exhaled.. and Herb wasn't bored :)

Canada Canada Canada.
For a few moments there I had scary thoughts that us icing it towards an empty net would be Russia's "Eberle" moment.

Thank fuck we pulled it out.

Once the "D" stuck to playing defence they managed the Russian attack quite well. It was the "I'm the next Paul Coffee" rushing up the ice, when really they should be making the safe play that nearly sunk us. No excuse to give up multiple odd man rushes in a 5-1 game. They came out in the third period and really turned around. Complete 180 from the fire-drill that nearly resulted in an epic choke job.

The streak is broken, and I must say that I love Russian tears more than any other.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Canada's really not helping themselves. Their defence, almost to a man, has been horrific. Nurse, in particular, has made awful pinches and rushes.

Ferraro's sure gushing over him LOL!!