Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

dbr wrote:Weren't you just criticizing Torts in another thread for saying, more or less, this exact thing?
One big difference, I'm not a public figure like Torts. I do not speak for a Canadian City's hockey team. Also, it's one thing to say not minding to see another team win, but quite another to not give a "sh--" for team Canada and hoping Sweden to win.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:One big difference, I'm not a public figure like Torts. I do not speak for a Canadian City's hockey team. Also, it's one thing to say not minding to see another team win, but quite another to not give a "sh--" for team Canada and hoping Sweden to win.
Semantics
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Per wrote:The hockey world is growing though, albeit slowly, and that's the reason they've increased the number of teams in both the world championship and the olympic tournament. The best way these developing hockey nations can learn from the established ones is by letting them play us every now and then, and then some day, in the future, we may be able to have these truly exciting hockey championships. Mind you, I get pretty worked up by them already..... :oops:
Yup, it's growing. A country like Germany has light years to cover to be in the conversation with teams like Sweden and Canada.

They could have more teams at the Olympics as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame that countries like Germany, Denmark and Belarus got left out (didn't qualify) this time around. Having countries like Germany and Denmark in the Olympics, especially when they are being held in Europe, likely does lots to promote the sport in those countries.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
Per wrote:The hockey world is growing though, albeit slowly, and that's the reason they've increased the number of teams in both the world championship and the olympic tournament. The best way these developing hockey nations can learn from the established ones is by letting them play us every now and then, and then some day, in the future, we may be able to have these truly exciting hockey championships. Mind you, I get pretty worked up by them already..... :oops:
Yup, it's growing. A country like Germany has light years to cover to be in the conversation with teams like Sweden and Canada.

They could have more teams at the Olympics as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame that countries like Germany, Denmark and Belarus got left out (didn't qualify) this time around. Having countries like Germany and Denmark in the Olympics, especially when they are being held in Europe, likely does lots to promote the sport in those countries.
Not if they get clobbered every game. The last thing the Olympics need is more teams playing the trap, like Germany would, does nothing for the popularity of the sport imo. I'm all for a couple of developing wild card teams making the cut every time but I'd rather see a smaller pool and do a complete round robin. It would only be a couple extra games to tack on and make for a more exciting tournament.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:Not if they get clobbered every game. The last thing the Olympics need is more teams playing the trap, like Germany would, does nothing for the popularity of the sport imo. I'm all for a couple of developing wild card teams making the cut every time but I'd rather see a smaller pool and do a complete round robin. It would only be a couple extra games to tack on and make for a more exciting tournament.
They wouldn't get clobbered against the likes of Austria or Slovenia.

Maybe you have two pools. Pool A is the strong teams, and Pool B is the bad teams. Preliminary games are played within the pool, and decide the rankings within the pool. Pool A plays Pool B in the first round of the playoffs with the winners moving on. That way you don't have these lame, meaningless preliminary games against Norway.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Trap hockey is big ice hockey.

Canada won with stifling trap defence.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

OK I am in Thailand and there was no "official" feed.. not even radio.. A few enterprising bars got bootleg feeds via satellite so I ended up watching the medals games.. 10 PM at night in a bar full of Finns and other hockey nuts for the Bronze.. A far wilder and happier crowd than the next night watching Canada beat Sweden.. I am an admirer of Teemu Selannie so I was made an honorary Finn for the night :)..One hell of a celebration !!

I watched the Gold medal game with my friend Tom ( swedish hockey nut and bar owner ).. The bet was all the food and drinks for the night plus 500 baht.. plus Tom has to fly the Canadian flag in front of his bar.. over the top of his swedish flag.. An enjoyable evening out but without the huge enthusiasm of the Finn/USA game ll
Sorry no previous posts , my internet connection doesn't want to log me in to chat ..

Topper .. agree 87 was a much more entertaining team and maybe the best team we ever put on icel.. but my all time favorite has to be the Canada/Russia series and the "Henderson" goal.. Yeah it was more than 1 game but turned out to be a real war on ice.. Nothing settled until the last minute of the last game.

PS I really think that the US and Finland had better teams than Team Sweden.. :) sorry Pers
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
dbr wrote:Weren't you just criticizing Torts in another thread for saying, more or less, this exact thing?
One big difference, I'm not a public figure like Torts. I do not speak for a Canadian City's hockey team. Also, it's one thing to say not minding to see another team win, but quite another to not give a "sh--" for team Canada and hoping Sweden to win.
More like a village idiot
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

In the span of three days the narrative around Team Canada went from "OMG what's wrong with Team Canada?" to "best hockey team ever!".

What a bi-polar, insecure bunch us Canadians are!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Tiger wrote:
PS I really think that the US and Finland had better teams than Team Sweden.. :) sorry Pers
Nah, we played Finland and beat them. But then we still had one of our top three centres left... :|

And if you add up the scores of all games the final standings would be like this:

Team GP W OTW OTL L GF:GA GD PTS
1 CAN 6 - 5 - 1 - 0 - 0 17:3 +14 17
2 SWE 6 - 5 - 0 - 0 - 1 17:9 +8 15
3 FIN 6 - 4 - 0 - 1 - 1 24:10 +14 13
4 USA 6 - 3 - 1 - 0 - 2 20:12 +8 10
5 RUS 5 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 13:8 +5 9
6 SUI 4 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 3:4 -1 6
7 CZE 5 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 3 13:15 -2 6
8 SLO 5 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 3 10:16 -6 6
(Then Latvia, Austria, Slovakia and Norway)

Basically the same as the official standings, except that since the Swiss were a first round elimination, they fall to 9th place with Czechs, Slovenes and Latvians moving up a slot.

So, the "league standings" basically confirm the official standings.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Now you know who your friends are. :drunk:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Art Vandelay wrote:More like a village idiot
*Haha* Nice one donkey boy.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:[Nah, we played Finland and beat them. But then we still had one of our top three centres left... :|
Oh quit your fucking whining.

Canada had no Stamkos, no Tavares, no Giroux. All three of them are better than your three injured centers.

The better team won and they won easily.... like I told you they would in post #1.

Just be glad you made it to the gold medal game 'cause the Americans would have kicked the shit out of you as well.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society