Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Per »

mathonwy wrote:GG Per.

Team Canada's checking and ability to capitalize on turnovers was ridiculous. As was
- their machine-like commitment to short shifting regardless of where the puck was
- and their ability to beat Sweden to the puck. The Canadian skater (whoever it was) was always faster than the Swedish skater.

No offense to Sweden whatsoever but the lopsided puck possession made me feel like I was watching an NHL team against a WHL team.

Dank's give away at his blue line made me feel kinda sad. After he gave it away, he kinda floated away. :(
I can agree on the third period looking like NHL vs WHL, but I think Sweden put in a decent effort in the first two periods. I'd even say that Sweden looked at least as good as Canada for the first half of the first period and maybe the first five of the second period. There was even an incident in the first period when Crosby was on a breakaway, but Erik Karlsson caught up with him and stole the puck from him. Other than that Canada dominated. But shots were just 12-11 and 11-9 in Canada's favour in the first two periods, or a total of 23-20. Then in the third period when Sweden fell apart and just seemed to give up, Canada won the shots 13-4.

Amazing discipline by the Canadians. They didn't give Sweden an inch, and only two power plays.
Officiating was great, btw. No questionable calls.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Per wrote:In the end the best team won. I'm just sorry we couldn't put up a better fight.
Good game Per. I honestly didn't really care if Canada won this one or not cuz we won 2002 and 2010 on home soil. I wouldn't have minded seeing a different team win, but I'm glad u guys got a couple at least in 2006 with Mats and company and also the Forsberg move on Hirsch year (Albertville?). U guys were pretty beat up this time around too without Zetterberg, Hank and losing Backstrom last minute just made things worst with no depth who can step in for those guys.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice to see someone else win??? What is that?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I honestly didn't really care if Canada won this one or not
Weren't you just criticizing Torts in another thread for saying, more or less, this exact thing?
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Hockey Widow wrote: Speaking of emotion, there really was very little in the crowd either. Nothing like 2010.
Keep in mind the Bolshoy ice dome seats only 12,000 (and was not quite full to capacity on most nights).

I'd also say the hockey was more entertaining in 2010 on the smaller sheet.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Speaking of emotion, there really was very little in the crowd either. Nothing like 2010.
Keep in mind the Bolshoy ice dome seats only 12,000 (and was not quite full to capacity on most nights).

I'd also say the hockey was more entertaining in 2010 on the smaller sheet.
I'd also assume a large part of the crowd were Russians, who were royally pissed off their team didn't make it to the final, whereas in the 2010 final the majority of spectators would have been either Canadian or American, and they all had a team to cheer for.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'm happy Canada won, but that was a boring tournament. For all the talk about this being the best talent in the world, I've seen much more exciting junior games.

The games were by and large pretty lame (not much visible passion on the ice, little drama, no lead changes, no really tournament defining moments or goals), and as noted the crowds were awful.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:I'm happy Canada won, but that was a boring tournament. For all the talk about this being the best talent in the world, I've seen much more exciting junior games.

The games were by and large pretty lame (not much visible passion on the ice, little drama, no lead changes, no really tournament defining moments or goals), and as noted the crowds were awful.
Big ice hockey.

I was speaking with a colleague in North Carolina this morning who watched the gold metal game but missed the bronze metal game. He said he's never been a fan, but the gold metal game has made him one. He was mystified when I told him that was a boring game.

But the NHL may have one more fan.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:I'm happy Canada won, but that was a boring tournament. For all the talk about this being the best talent in the world, I've seen much more exciting junior games.

My thoughts exactly. The gold game had no drama & paled in comparison to 2010.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A 4am start our time certainly effected the noise level downtown :mrgreen: a few of the hardy tried some horn honking after each goal but it was nothing really. About 15 minutes after the game people left the dry bars and tried making some noise, sing a little bit, but I guess being sober they felt silly and it got quiet real soon. Actually pretty funny, the most noise was out side of MCDonalds as the line ups began for people needing breakfast.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:My thoughts exactly. The gold game had no drama & paled in comparison to 2010.
Overall, I have a hard time getting up for a tournament that five or six teams have a shot at winning with two or three favourites. I'd like international hockey a lot better if there were 10 or 15 solid hockey nations instead of five or six.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:My thoughts exactly. The gold game had no drama & paled in comparison to 2010.
Overall, I have a hard time getting up for a tournament that five or six teams have a shot at winning with two or three favourites. I'd like international hockey a lot better if there were 10 or 15 solid hockey nations instead of five or six.
...or perhaps cut the number of teams in half and have a true round robin. Canada should have had a shot at Russia.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:...or perhaps cut the number of teams in half and have a true round robin. Canada should have had a shot at Russia.
Maybe, but with the current format Canada still played three of the "powerhouse" teams (USA, Sweden and Finland).

The reality is that not enough countries have enough great players to make a truly awesome tournament. Even now, some countries like Switzerland may be taking steps forward while others like Russia, Slovakia and the Czechs are seemingly regressing. It's a fun break every few years, but I don't think the Olympic men's hockey tournament will ever be all that great (unlike the world cup of soccer, for instance).
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:...or perhaps cut the number of teams in half and have a true round robin. Canada should have had a shot at Russia.
Maybe, but with the current format Canada still played three of the "powerhouse" teams (USA, Sweden and Finland).

The reality is that not enough countries have enough great players to make a truly awesome tournament. Even now, some countries like Switzerland may be taking steps forward while others like Russia, Slovakia and the Czechs are seemingly regressing. It's a fun break every few years, but I don't think the Olympic men's hockey tournament will ever be all that great (unlike the world cup of soccer, for instance).
The hockey world is growing though, albeit slowly, and that's the reason they've increased the number of teams in both the world championship and the olympic tournament. The best way these developing hockey nations can learn from the established ones is by letting them play us every now and then, and then some day, in the future, we may be able to have these truly exciting hockey championships. Mind you, I get pretty worked up by them already..... :oops:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
Per wrote:So, can any of you imagine a FIFA World Cup or Champions League final where they'd have a referee who's from the same country as one of the teams? :|

Pathetic. I have no doubt the refs will do their best to be impartal and professional, but still.
It's a joke.

And Devorski is one of the linesmen.... Maybe we had better bench Daniel and Edler...?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444453
This Olympics I'm really beginning to wonder if the NHL should be there at all. in the past I was all for it, but the more I think about it the more it seems that a 5/6 game tournament played under international rules controlled by European political hacks... the more it seems to be an injustice to the sport.

Shootouts and single game knockouts are fine for sedate games like soccer but there are too many variables to leave to chance in a single game, 5 minute overtime and penalty shots.

Seven games series are the test of which team is better and that's what the world champion team should have to do to be crowned the very best. Beat the second best team four games out of seven. Stanley Cup style

I know it would be difficult to do but there should be qualifying series that take place over four years to eliminate the weak countries and leave the best half dozen teams in the world to have a proper tournament every fourth year which can be held in alternating countries played under the defending champion's rules and rink size.

The Olympics are too short, too political, and too much out of the hands of the people that actually know what they are doing when it comes to ice hockey...

my rant..