2022 Winter Olympics - Beijing

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: 2022 Winter Olympics - Beijing

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:mad: Young Street. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Boycott China.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lehner has announced he's not going. After discussions with his doctor, they think the isolation of the bubble tournament could be detrimental for his mental health. He thinks his bipolar disorder could get worse.

Bad news for Sweden. Everyone has expected us to run with a tandem of Markström and Lehner. We'll see who gets the nod instead. Markström is of course now a shoo in for starter. Guess Ullmark or Forsberg could be brought in as backup. Another possibility is 39 year old Viktor Fasth. He has experience from both the NHL (Ducks/Oilers) and the KHL (CSKA Moscow), has represented Sweden at five world championships (was named best goalie and tournament MVP at the 2010/11 worlds) plus the 2018 Olympics, and has been named best goalie of the SHL (Honken Trophy) four times, most recently last season, when his team (Växjö) also won the championship. SHL champion twice (2018 and 2021) and world champion once (2017). Pretty good resume, but not as good as Markström and Lehner. Oh, and yeah, he played with Petey in Växjö on the championship winning team in 2018.

It is unlikely that Raymond can make the team, as Sweden did not have him on the preliminary shortlist presented about a year ago. They are checking if that can be rectified. I assume that Pettersson will still make the team, but I'm not sure. They have done that before though, picked Swedish players that have been in a slump in the NHL but bounced back on Team Sweden. Guess it depends on what they deem to be the cause of his slump. If it is an injury they surely skip him, but if they think it has something with coaching to do, that can be addressed.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, the Swedish team became very different from my initial predictions as - once again - no NHL players were made available. :(

Anyway, a couple of Canuck acquaintances on the roster that actually got to go to the Olympics:

Goalies:
Lars Johanssoon (SKA St. Petersburg)
Magnus Hellberg (Sotji)
Adam Reideborn (CSKA Moskva)

Defence:
Christian Folin (Frölunda)
Emil Djuse (Rapperswill)
Oscar Fantenberg (SKA St. Petersburg) = former Canuck
Erik Gustafsson (Luleå)
Henrik Tömmernes (Genéve) =former Canuck prospects
Lukas Bengtsson (Dynamo Minsk)
Linus Hultström (Metallurg)
Jonathan Pudas (Skellefteå)

Forwards:
Fredrik Olofsson (Oskarshamn)
Max Friberg (Frölunda)
Gustav Rydahl (Färjestad)
Marcus Krüger (Zürich)
Dennis Everberg (Rögle)
Pontus Holmberg (Växjö)
Lucas Wallmark (CKSA Moskva)
Joakim Nordström (CSKA Moskva)
Daniel Brodin (Freiburg)
Carl Klingberg (ZUG)
Anton Lander (ZUG)
Linus Johansson (Färjestad)
Mathias Bromé (Davos)
Jacob de la Rose (Färjestad)

Not sure if this motley crew can get it done, but I guess it’s the same for all and at least they beat Latvia. :towel:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:08 pm Not sure if this motley crew can get it done, but I guess it’s the same for all and at least they beat Latvia. :towel:
They should have no problems vs Slovakia tonight right?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:36 pm
Per wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:08 pm Not sure if this motley crew can get it done, but I guess it’s the same for all and at least they beat Latvia. :towel:
They should have no problems vs Slovakia tonight right?
Really can’t tell. Slovakia has most of their good players in the KHL, only a handful in the NHL, so relatively speaking they hurt less from the absence of NHL players. Sweden has more than 100mplayers in the NHL these days, so what we have on the ice in this tournament is basically our E team… Sure, a few like Wallmark and Fantenberg have NHL experience, but they are hardly star players.

We have 8 players from the KHL, 7 from the Swiss league and 10 from the SHL. I don’t follow the Swiss league nor the KHL, so I don’t really know much about this team. I mean, I recognise most of the players, but I have no idea where they stand today.

But sure, we should be on par with the Finns and they beat Slovakia 6-2. But you see some weird results in a tournament like this, where the normally best teams are the ones that hurt the most from the lack of star quality. The Danes beat the Czechs and Russia only beat Switzerland by 1-0.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

^ It went well. Sweden beat Slovakia 4-1.
3-0 until they pulled their goalie, then one extra goal each way.
The real test will be Finland on Sunday.

Swedish women face Canada in the QF later today.
Will probably be a blowout. Our women's hockey has deteriorated over the last few years and we're several steps behind North America.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Per wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:00 am Swedish women face Canada in the QF later today.
Will probably be a blowout. Our women's hockey has deteriorated over the last few years and we're several steps behind North America.
As expected. Canada ahead 9-0 after two periods....

I don't get it. We have female world class athletes in pretty much any sport, but for some reason not in hockey.
The Swedish Hockey Federation has messed up real bad. They need to start funding this in a way that creates results.
We lost to Japan for crying out loud... :oops:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:45 am
Per wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:00 am Swedish women face Canada in the QF later today.
As expected. Canada ahead 9-0 after two periods....

I don't get it. We have female world class athletes in pretty much any sport, but for some reason not in hockey.
The Swedish Hockey Federation has messed up real bad. They need to start funding this in a way that creates results.
We lost to Japan for crying out loud... :oops:
Your women are mostly hotties. Ours are cock tucking, Adams apple sporting Carl Yagro types
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I think Canada vs USA is on at around 8 pm our time this evening. I'm thinking I might watch that.

What's the deal with the black uniforms anyway? They not only look bad, but there's absolutely nothing canadian about them.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Baby shorthander. Much fun to watch.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Pretty good quality, like all playin' their hearts out, very special. Didn't expected this before the games.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The Strauss Mann is holding the fort. 4:2 mericans.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

A number of upsets today. Not only did the US beat Canada, but the Czechs beat Russia 6-5 in overtime and The Danes beat the Swiss 5-3. Looking forward to Sweden vs Finland tomorrow. Should be a good game! 8-)

Really weird format in this tournament. Three groups of four teams. Noone is eliminated at the end of the roundrobin. Instead all teams will be ranked according to a) place in group, b) total points, c) goal differential d) IIHF rank. The four top ranks will get a bye while teams ranked 5 through 12 will play a qualification game (#5 vs #12, #6 vs #11, etc) with the winners each facing one of the top four in the quarter finals. Semi finals will then be highest rank vs lowest rank, so you won’t know who faces whom until all quarter finals have been played.

My impression so far is that the usual suspects are the strongest, but that the difference in strength compared to weaker nations is less pronounced, as weaker nations don’t have a lot of NHL players to begin with, so they can still pretty much bring their A teams, whereas Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland present teams completely consisting of players that’d never have made the cut had NHLers been available and Russia and the Czechs miss at least half of their preferred roster. The latter two have 48 and 30 skaters respectively in the NHL, but a lot of Russian and Czech players choose to play in the KHL even though they could have made it in the NHL, so their national teams usually include a fair amount of KHL players even when NHL players are available.