GDT: Rangers visit Canucks, 7:00 PM, TSN, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Rangers visit Canucks, 7:00 PM, TSN, 1040

Post by dr.dork »

Preview here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/preview?gid ... 22&prov=ap

It will be another tough one mainly because of the injury situation. Rangers haven't been good on the road and the Canucks have been good at home, but what does that have to do with anything ?

GO CANUCKS GO
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Rangers visit Canucks, 7:00 PM, TSN, 1040

Post by Cornuck »

Injuries or not - I still have a deep hatred of the Rangers - so they better win.

I think teams are going to come in here and expect a win after reading the injury report. The Canucks just have to keep working, and play AV's system.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Cornuck said:
The Canucks just have to keep working, and play AV's system.
Amen brother.. This looks like a tough one.... Shutting down the Rags with Gaborik and playing a physically tough team against Brashear, Avery etc.. I doubt Hordi can do much against Donald.. and Avery is the superpest of the NHL.. Key will be to stay focussed on a strong defensive game and hoping for good goaltending from Raycroft . Think Bernier is due for a goal... Rangers always have a tough time in the garage so here is a very optimistic ( against all odds ) prediction....

Canucks 2... Kesler and Bernier. Rangers 1 .... Gaborik.. ( yeah I am a dreamer )

Goooooooooooooooooooo Canucks/moose
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Bieksa as a forward?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Is Shane O'Brien REALLY this fucking stupid? I mean, can we have even two games in a row without a stupid-assed, momentum-killing penalty? :evil:
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Why the hell doesn't SOB just wait till he's on the ice with Avery and beat the piss out of him?
Poking the stick from bench to bench is plain stupid and just asking for a penalty.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Intermission TSN talk, more leaves talk then Canucks talk on a Canucks broadcast, thank god for Ohlund giving the whole leaves Nation a heart attack. One day, I'll buy CTV, and ban leaves talk, just you watch, one day.

SOB stupid penalty, x2. I need to keep this copy and pasted or something. Bad luck maybe, but he must be doing something wrong to get bad luck. Thank god it didn't cost us.
How stupid is he to jab the other team's bench with his stick when the refs are STANDING right there. He just cost us another 2 minutes, Ray Ferraro mentioned that the refs was going to even it up but SOB just gave them a reason not to.

SOB stupid antics cost us a goal, and he needs to wake up, or benched, or send to the Moose, or a bullet to the head.
Indirectly, Henrik got hurt from blocking a shot, Mitchell gets hurt on the PK. All because of him being selfish wanting to get at Avery.

Raycroft was solid, and did everything you want a back up to do for you. 3 good games in 4 starts, I'd say he's forgiven for the Anaheim mess, especially he wasn't totally at fault.
Kesler is Kesler, If the C wasn't on Luongo, you bet it would be on Kesler.

And looks like a fire is lit on Bieksa, let's hope he uses this for our future games, this is the KB that all love.
The rest of the crew did their jobs, Pettinger didn't cost us and that's all you can really ask from a 4th liner new signing.
Hordichuk just isn't doing what he's paid to do, where's the fights? Where's the big checks?

Kesler's on pace for 82 point season, Samuelsson is on pace for 41 goal season, Raymond is on pace for 25 goal season.
Can we really ask for more? Henrik's on pace for 35g, shocking.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Hell of a game.. Kesler was superb.. and AV deserves full credit for getting great mileage out of a patched together team.. Great to see the whole team playing a good defensive game. yeah SOB's penalty was dumb... but his play and ballz inspire fear in the opponents - and he is cheap :). Tanner Glass answered the bell nicely in the 3rd, Pettinger makes the 4th line look a bit better.. Bieksa maybe a better forward than defence?? ( thats a wild thought ).. Even Edler played a decent game.. I have hated the rags since 94.. good to see them well beaten..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Glass, Rypien, can all play the annoying role better then SOB can. That's why I think SOB doesn't deserve a spot on the roster. A physical vet like Lukowich can do us much better IMO.

This whole D playing wing spot is turning out very well. Having a defensive responsible forward rotating when we are in the defensive zone really helps IMO. And with the way it's going, we could have some success using that to our advantage, as we have 8, 9 including Lukowich down in AHL, NHL defensemen.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Jelly, I know you hate SOB but he hasn't been playing that poorly for a 6th defenseman. I would rather see Bieksa on the wing and O'Brien on defense vs Rome on the wing and Bieksa on D (with O'Brien sitting).

Yes, SOB took a 4 minute penalty but I didn't think it was blatantly stupid, and he is expected to play tough so that is going to happen. The whole incident between the benches..., well Avery was in the middle of that too and could have got a penalty from what I saw. I was at the game so I may have missed something, but that whole altercation involved Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler and O'Brien (at the end) so it is tough to pin anything on O'Brien when the three rats were in it up to the top of their wonderful pointy ears.

NY goal was scored after the penalty was over, and I'm not sure what Bieksa did to get ANOTHER penalty, but he apparently lost his marbles. Not that there is anything wrong with him losing his marbles, he plays better when they're rolling around on the ice. But he needs to play on the edge, as does Burrows and SOB. And after the kerfuffle, we dominated.

Kesler's line was dynamite tonight, and Raymond was very good even though he managed to get no points for playing significant parts of 2 goals. I thought Henrik's line played well tonight as well.
trouble

Post by trouble »

SOB bashing contiunes..

SOB is one of the most popular players on the team.. His teammates love him..
There is so much that we don't see that is so important to winning hockey..

One thing we do see is how SOB sticks up for his teammates
Another thing we do see is SOB making The Canucks D a tough Defence to play against.
If you're in front of the net your gonna get wacked. If you're in the corner, You can hear SOB footsteps. These type of player take penelties but his teammates don't mind working hard to Kill them.

We see in so many games he is there talking to the other teams players saying.. Ya wanna go.. Shaking his gloves to show he wants to drop them.. and 99% of the time the other player backs off..

The Canucks are a very tough team, SOB is a very important part of it.. Now give the guy a break
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

dr.dork wrote:Jelly, I know you hate SOB but he hasn't been playing that poorly for a 6th defenseman. I would rather see Bieksa on the wing and O'Brien on defense vs Rome on the wing and Bieksa on D (with O'Brien sitting).

Yes, SOB took a 4 minute penalty but I didn't think it was blatantly stupid, and he is expected to play tough so that is going to happen. The whole incident between the benches..., well Avery was in the middle of that too and could have got a penalty from what I saw. I was at the game so I may have missed something, but that whole altercation involved Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler and O'Brien (at the end) so it is tough to pin anything on O'Brien when the three rats were in it up to the top of their wonderful pointy ears.
SOB was checking, and he wasn't careful with his stick, take a look at the replay, it was just not careful. Stupid penalties that are far from your net. The Refs were discussing penalties in front of the benches, and AV was trying to get them to even it up as Gaborik was the one that started it. SOB was trash talking with Avery and decided to start poking him with his stick, which is just plain stupid.
NY goal was scored after the penalty was over, and I'm not sure what Bieksa did to get ANOTHER penalty, but he apparently lost his marbles. Not that there is anything wrong with him losing his marbles, he plays better when they're rolling around on the ice. But he needs to play on the edge, as does Burrows and SOB. And after the kerfuffle, we dominated.
Bieksa got the penalty for trash talking basically. SOB doesn't muck it up like the others, he takes stupid penalties on the other end of the ice. SOB hasn't fought once this season, he doesn't play hard minutes and he doesn't answer the bell. SOB tries to dangle and stuff, why can't he play a simpler game?

trouble,
If toughness is the only thing that SOB can bring, then we could easily find someone else to do that job.
Fact : He hasn't gotten into one fight, he plays third pairing minutes, he causes us more trouble then he helps.

No one on the team is going to come out and say, this SOB causes trouble for our team and we hate him.
Wait for a few games and let's see how many AV sits him?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Jelly wrote:Intermission TSN talk, more leaves talk then Canucks talk on a Canucks broadcast, thank god for Ohlund giving the whole leaves Nation a heart attack. One day, I'll buy CTV, and ban leaves talk, just you watch, one day.

SOB stupid penalty, x2. I need to keep this copy and pasted or something. Bad luck maybe, but he must be doing something wrong to get bad luck. Thank god it didn't cost us.
How stupid is he to jab the other team's bench with his stick when the refs are STANDING right there. He just cost us another 2 minutes, Ray Ferraro mentioned that the refs was going to even it up but SOB just gave them a reason not to.

SOB stupid antics cost us a goal, and he needs to wake up, or benched, or send to the Moose, or a bullet to the head.
Indirectly, Henrik got hurt from blocking a shot, Mitchell gets hurt on the PK. All because of him being selfish wanting to get at Avery.

Raycroft was solid, and did everything you want a back up to do for you. 3 good games in 4 starts, I'd say he's forgiven for the Anaheim mess, especially he wasn't totally at fault.
Kesler is Kesler, If the C wasn't on Luongo, you bet it would be on Kesler.

And looks like a fire is lit on Bieksa, let's hope he uses this for our future games, this is the KB that all love.
The rest of the crew did their jobs, Pettinger didn't cost us and that's all you can really ask from a 4th liner new signing.
Hordichuk just isn't doing what he's paid to do, where's the fights? Where's the big checks?

Kesler's on pace for 82 point season, Samuelsson is on pace for 41 goal season, Raymond is on pace for 25 goal season.
Can we really ask for more? Henrik's on pace for 35g, shocking.
Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'm with Dork on the SOB thing... everyone needs their whipping boy, and it seems like around here it's O'Brien. That penalty happens to anyone else and it's "well that'll happen with a composite stick in a contact sport". When it's SOB, all of a sudden its a blatant, bone-headed purposeful crosscheck to the teeth. Settle down folks, that play happens every game.

Jelly, are you SERIOUSLY blaming Henrik taking that shot on SOB? Really? LOL to that one. Why don't you blame AV for having one of our three or four talented guys left killing penalties (ie where's Pettinger, Rypien, Hordichuck, Glass, Burrows, Bernier etc) Maybe try blaming cancer on the guy, or H1N1... people would really get after him then! BTW, O'Brien didn't put us shorthanded poking Avery. He got a 10 minute misconduct. You should be thrilled, he only took himself off the ice for a dime.

The refs realllly bunked that mini-brawl up. How one team can go 10-7, with two guys taking on Bieksa, and come out on the PP is beyond me. Watching the replay pissed me off even more... what did Keslerl do, exactly? Riiiight. And giving Bieksa two for trash talking? Really? Wonder what Avery was saying on the bench. It doesn't really matter because won, but what a crock of shit.

I guess if people are having meltdowns over SOB's incidental high-stick that has to be considered a good thing, if that's the worst thing there is to bitch about...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

interesting random stat - Kesler is currently 20th in league scoring.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."