GDT: R2G6 - Canucks @ Chicago - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: R2G6 - Canucks @ Chicago - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Sid Dithers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Luongo was outplayed tonight.

Odd calls.

We weren't the better team for most of the series.

We should have beat this team.
1. Yes.

2. It was a helluva game to officiate, I'll say that much.

3. Correct.

4. No. The Hawks are a better team, folks here better realize that.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Seriously, I wonder why I fucking bother.

Luongo can fucking suck it.

I'm going camping.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

who would have thought that Luongo would give up 7... disgusting.... But.. this series was lost by giving up leads in 3 games not on Luongo's bad game... Dammmmmm I am pisssed... No , I am tired of saying " wait till next year"... been saying it toooo many times.. for toooo many years.. Next year the Hawks will be even better and the Canucks won't..

Shhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

We had every chance to beat this team Sid.

We led in every game, had a chance to go up 3-1 with a better effort in game 4. The Hawks were by no means invincible, we just couldn't stop their runs once or hold any momentum, and I would say that's more on us than on them...

Tough loss. Should be an interesting offseason. If anything this series proved:

1. Our D is too slow.

2. Not enough gritt in our top 6. Burrows and Kesler are fine and chippy, but they don't nail anyone and we were getting flattened all over the ice.

3. Bottom 6 is too slow. We were outhit because we couldn't get to the hit in time.

4. Sundin was a miserable check-collecting failure. I don't care that he scored a couple goals. There was no intensity to his game, he was a pylon.

The positives:

1. Wellwood. The guy played himself into a contract this post season. He's proved, to me anyways, that he's capable of a 3rd line role.

I don't really know what else. I'd like to say Daniel for this one game, but those guys (and burrows) disappeared for a majority of this series.

I'm not so sure we won't be better next year, either. There's no reason to think we might have at least one impact rookie in our lineup...
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Chicago just has a better team right now. They outskated us. I just hope the fans don't rip Luongo to shreds. We need him to sign an extension this summer. He didn't have a great game but they way this game was played he was never going to just allow one or two. He's not the reason why we lost.

We are getting closer but we still need to get faster and more skilled all the way around. Overall, this was a great season. I suppose now the biggest question is whether or not we bring the Sedins back and if we don't, who do we replace them with.

I suppose now we know why Mike Gillis tried to acquire Jay Bouwmeester at the trade deadline. Speed kills.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:We had every chance to beat this team Sid.
The Canucks had a TON of leads in this series and frittered virtually all of them away (including 3 in a must-win game). 'Chances' to beat teams is fine, but when you blow them all, who's to blame? The Hawks kept coming and coming and the Canucks couldn't manage. Full credit to Chicago, the better team, and the team that deserves to be moving on.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
HereComeTheHawks

Post by HereComeTheHawks »

Congrats on Vancouver's season, everybody!! That was a fun game and a fun series to watch!! The Canucks are a great team and they didn't go down without a fight tonight. Y'all should be proud of your team.

In the meantime...

...BRING ON THE WINGS!!!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Indeed another heartbreaking season, i totally completely freaked out in here after the Sundin 4:3 and Dannyboy 5:4 but in the end the Canucks weren't good enough for a satanious Blackhawks team. I respect that. At least our team went out with a big fight and they tried all what was left. (A final season ending fuck you to CP. :devil: )

It was a drama as usual but nobody can say they didn't deserved it. This could have been our best chance since 2003, stay tuned 'til 2015.
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Mon May 11, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

7 f*cking goals....

Elimination game. Win or go home. Show the world you're a money player.

7 F*cking Goals....

Time to show some leadership Mr. Team Captain. Time to show some love to the fans who love you more. Time to just show up.

7 GODDAMN F*CKING GOALS!!!!!

How do you go soft against the post on the winning goal? How do you absolutely lose focus? How do you let in 7 F*CKING GOALS?????

Is this the kind of team captain we want? Who folds under pressure? Who just wants to go to whatever team gives him the best chance at a cup, instead of leading his team to a cup? Who supposedly likes getting pelted with shots instead of low shot totals, but lets in 7 F*CKING GOALS???

I don't care what the defence did or did not do in front of him. The goal off of Edler's skate, bad puck luck I'll admit. But 7 goals??? Kirk McLean never got half the press that Luongo gets, but he could play a 3-on-1 when his team's future was on the line. Are we sure this is the best investment of $6+ million dollars when it's obvious we could better spend it up ice and give the reins to Schneider and let the kid learn?

Everybody in the line up showed up and played a bit better tonight, except Luongo. Sedins? Danny scored two. Fat Mats? Scored again. Doughboy Wellwood? Better tonight. Hell, even O'Brien scored his first in a year. What about you, Louie? What? Chicago had such quality scoring chances on you? F*CK YOU! That's why you get $6+ mill a season! That's why you were made team captain. That's why you have Gillis doing everything short of fellatio for you to make you want to stay here! That's why until this time next year, you should never be compared to the likes of Roy or Brodeur. Hell, even Richard Brodeur has gone farther!

I don't care how much skill Chicago had, and I don't care if they were the better team in the series. Luongo was brought in to be the ace-in-the-hole, the "I don't care how many hall-of-famers you have on the ice" guy who will keep the game close if not steal one. Can anyone tell me if Luongo stole a single game this series? Game 3 comes close, but Chicago wasn't themselves.

If Luongo's heart isn't in Vancouver, get rid of him. With the likes of Hodgson and Schneider coming up and some good UFAs this summer, it might be worth it to trade him for a true star on the blueline or a stud up front.

F*ck me...... this one hurts....
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

HereComeTheHawks wrote:Congrats on Vancouver's season, everybody!! That was a fun game and a fun series to watch!! The Canucks are a great team and they didn't go down without a fight tonight. Y'all should be proud of your team.

In the meantime...

...BRING ON THE WINGS!!!
Congrats, amigo!

You've got a helluva fun team there. So much heart for a young group. Relentless! I'll be pulling for the Bruins as long as they're in it, but the Hawks will be my default team after that. Fun group to watch. Enjoy!
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Well that was terrible to watch. How can you blow two third period leads in an elimination game and still call yourself an NHL team? We didn't lose a game when leading after two in the regular season, but we opted to do it a few times this series. We didn't step up. Simple as that.

A few observations:

-We need to revamp our defence. Our vaulted 'depth' on the blueline has so far got us nowhere. They looked slow and panicky out there for the entire series. Noone stood up and took charge on the back end. Mitchell was god awful, O'Brien looked like an AHLer, Bieksa was a turnover/bad penalty machine, and Ohlund proved again why he is exclusively an old NHL defenceman. Edler and Salo were our only worthwhile defencemen, and neither looked particularly good. We need some defenceman who can actually skate if we want to succeed. Keith, Campbell and Seabrook took us apart by easily sidestepping our forecheck. The same cannot be said for us.

-Mats can stay. He stepped it up when he had to, and I guess that's a good thing. Hell, he was the only player that upped his game tonight (Daniel did too to a lesser extent, but he has too be good in a deciding game). He was our best player in the last two games and his experience showed. I wouldn't mind giving him another kick at the bucket.

-What happened to the Burrows we saw in the Blues series? We looked like a useless scrub out there and acted like an anchor on the Sedin line. So much for his game 7 promise.

-We need to resign the Sedins. They weren't flashy, but they were effective when necessary. Chicago's speed was the difference on offence, not Henrik or Daniel.

-That is the third year in a row Louie has sucked when needed most. Sure he was fantastic in the Anaheim series, but that last goal has set off a tradition of blowing it when it when it really counts. No more excuses, that must be corrected.

-Kesler was okay, but he's completely abandoned his defensive play apart from shotblocking. He looked like an opportunistic forechecking forward rather than a Selke candidate out there.

-Rypien and Hordichuk can't play in the NHL. We need players who can hit and fight but also contribute effectively. They were a joke compared to Chicago's fourth line.

-Wellwood needs a contract. He's been a lot better than advertised and at a small raise for a couple years he'd be a welcome member of the team.

-Pyatt looked effective in games 4 and 5, but not so much tonight. What the hell was he doing out there with 50 seconds to go?

All in all that was a shitty series. Chicago and Pittsburgh in the last two years have proven that talent and determination supercede experience any day. We need to get younger and faster. We have to start by drafting a puck moving defenceman, signing someone that can escape faster forechecker occasionally (Bouwmeester is a pipedream, but someone like him), and build the team around an effective transition game. Chicago dominated us on that this series, and it's been our achilles heel all year.

Oh well, I'll keep coming back to this team because I'm a sadist, but that sure sucked to watch. Time to hop on the Capitals bandwagon. Hopefully we'll improve in the offseason. Help us Cody-Wan Hodg-nobi, you're our only hope.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

randymeeks wrote:I just hope the fans don't rip Luongo to shreds. We need him to sign an extension this summer. He didn't have a great game but they way this game was played he was never going to just allow one or two. He's not the reason why we lost.
How was he not the reason why we lost? Yeah, our D had some bad luck and made some soft plays with the puck in our end but shouldn't an "elite" goalie stop a few of those?

Like I said, if his heart's not in Vancouver why should we want to keep him? Why should we go through another Bure drama? Trade him off while his stock is hot. Trade him off "to a team that gives him hte best chance at a Cup".
Island Nucklehead wrote:1. Our D is too slow.
Yup. I think Ohlund played himself into free agency. Edler is still learning. I love Mitchell's battle and smarts, but his slowness and brain farts were killer... to his teammates. Salo was game, but still too brittle. Bieksa's head needs to be adjusted only slightly. O'Brien... well... if the team gets someone like Bouwmeester then I can live with his concrete feet because his heart is in the right place and there were enough times when his head wasn't up his ass that it shows promise for the future.
Island Nucklehead wrote:2. Not enough gritt in our top 6. Burrows and Kesler are fine and chippy, but they don't nail anyone and we were getting flattened all over the ice.
Agreed. Bert can never come back to Vancouver, but tell me he wouldn't have made a whiff of difference even in the current diminished edition?
Island Nucklehead wrote:3. Bottom 6 is too slow. We were outhit because we couldn't get to the hit in time.
Disagree. I admit, the difference makers in this series were the Ben Eagers, Adam Burrishes and ButFuckUglies. That said, our size guys were too slow and our speedy guys were too small. If we had one or two more players with Pyatt's size and Rypien's guts for our top six it would make a difference.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

levelheaded wrote:We need to get younger and faster.
Boo-yah!!
And add 'more determined' to that list. I've been saying that for two years now. It's a young man's game. Look at the guys who are rocking in the playoffs...

Kane
Crosby
Ovechkin
Getzlaf
Perry
Franzen
Kessel
Lucic
Bolland
Staal
Seabrook
Keith

And the Canucks spent their money chasing down Moses Sundin? Wrong direction, MG.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Another night in Canuckland.

So close -but still so fucking far away.

How can a team show so much promise - only to collapse when it matters.

Mixed emotions tonight - Daniel was channeling Mike Bossy tonight, too bad Luongo channeled Dave Reese.

Willie Mitchell sucked so bad in this series, it's not funny.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Lancer wrote: Hell, even Richard Brodeur has gone farther!
F*ck me...... this one hurts....
Fuck me, even Dan Cloutier is statistically better, he took us to a game 7 in the second round what we blew epically.

So anyone who likes it so much to critizise the 2003 team, they had more heart than this edition even if they're labelled as chokers....i'm done before writing more bullshit. Good night.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'