GDT - 01/08/2008 Canucks vs Islanders 7PM SN TEAM 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT - 01/08/2008 Canucks vs Islanders 7PM SN TEAM 1040

Post by mattola »

Will the Canucks sweep New York?
Will the Canucks go three games against NEw York teams and not allow a goal? (dont say that S word)
Will The Canucks retake the Division Lead?

Canucks take on yet another East Coast team on the back to back side of a game against an Albertan team. Dipetro started in Edmonton last night so it maybe we get the backup again. Cmon boys take advantage of it and get those 2 points.

Go Canucks Go
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

(20-17-4)

@

(23-14-4)

Tuesday, January 8, 2008
7:00 p.m. PST, 10:00 p.m. EST

Local TV: Sportsnet Pacific

Storylines

- a tale of two Italian goaltenders. Roberto Luongo takes on the team who traded him in order to make Rick DiPietro the team's new top goalie prospect, well before either of their development curves could be ascertained.

- in addition to the 1982 Cup finals, the Canucks also have a bit more of brief playoff history with the Isles, losing 2-0 in a best-of-three series in the first round of the 1976 playoffs.

- the Canucks have recalled defenseman Nathan McIver from Manitoba, which is bad news as it coincides with Alexander Edler leaving practice with back spasms yesterday.

- the Canucks' blueline is already depleted, missing Mattias Öhlund with Mysterious Head Area Syndrome (MHAS), as well as the long-term injuries to Brendan Morrison and Kevin Bieksa. Brad Isbister is also experiencing back spasms, but may play. Jeff Cowan remains out for at least another game, while Aaron Miller, despite a minor injury, is expected to go. Unless the McIver callup was for his benefit, which we can all hope for with all due respect.

- the Islanders are missing Radek Martinek (leg), Shawn Bates (hip), Aaron Johnson (knee), and preseason king Jon Sim (knee).

- the Isles are playing their second game in 2 nights, being blanked 4-0 last night by the Oilers.

- despite the excitement of Miroslav Satan recording his 666th career point not long ago, as the above may indicate, the Isles are not big-time scorers. Their 98 goals-for are the lowest in the Eastern Conference. Bill Guerin is the biggest goal-scorer with 14, while fellow free-agent signing Mike Comrie is the team scoring leader with 33 points.

- the Isles do have the league's 6th-best penalty-killing, however. And they are marginally better than the Canucks at coming from behind (.286 to .154 when trailing after one, and .105 to .000 when trailing after two). Both teams are undefeated when leading after two.

- the Canucks have gotten at least a point in 13 consecutive home games, although the Islanders have a weird history of ending good Canuck streaks despite not playing very often. The Canucks' last game was all the way last Thursday when they blanked the Isles' crosstown rivals 3-0.

- the Isles' last game in Vancouver was March 11, 2003, when they fell 4-3 to Peter Skudra and the Canucks. The last time the teams played at all was an 8-1 Canuck romp on Long Island in the 2005-06 season.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

For some reason, ever since 1993, I've always hated the Isles. I'm hoping for the same result as last time the Canucks played them.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

This will be the first game I will watch on my slingbox over the internet. I am watching the Hawks/Habs game right now and while the quality isn't great, it more than does its job. Let's hope this home streak stays alive.

GO CANUCKS GO
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I just tuned in a few moments ago to hear them say that Burrows is or might be their best player tonight. It doesn't surprise me as his work ethic is second to none but damn why can't our most talented forwards be our best?

I'm getting a bad radio feed.. how do we look?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

That is the sort of game that could easily have led to a prolonged losing streak. The boys did well to nab the two points tonight. Luongo wasn't good, but for once he didn't have to be (until the shootout where our inability to bury more than one every 3 shooters reared its ugly head once again). DiPietro was good, and he made some fantastic saves, but we took a lot more shots that we usually do, a lot of low percentage ones too. For shots that had any chance of entering the net I'd say the number would have to be 7-10 less.

Edler was brilliant, I think his best game as a Canuck. He had two Lidstrom-esque breakaway passes, and led the team in icetime. What more can you say about him? He's going to be a star if he isn't one already. Sometimes having the most defensive depth in the league is awesome.

Naslund had a promising game, he drove to the net and appeared to play with a bit more jump than he has in the last dozen games or so. It was definitely encouraging. His goalie wasn't of the pretty variety, but every one counts right?

Raymond looked out of place on the top line. Hughson thought he played well with the Sedins, but I felt it was the Sedins just making him look good as they had one of their incredible puck possession games. He was flying all over the place, but accomplishing little. He was never really in place to score and goals and while he did try going to the net he doesn't have the size or strength in finish off the cycle. He's great at it on the rush, but when the play gets bogged down in the corners he is totally useless and became a cross-checking practice dummy for most of the Isle's defence.

Other than that it was a fun game to watch. Lots of scoring chances at one end, and an exciting shootout ended in dramatic fashion. Plus Colorado and Calgary lost tonight. On top of all that we're ahead of the Flames by 1 point for first in the NW with 2 games in hand.

Best of all my slingbox looks like it was an excellent investment. The quality of the feed wasn't terrific, but it was nice to watch hockey again. Compared to paying $200 a year for Centre Ice online it's an easy choice for me.

Now I really must go to sleep as it's 2am here and I need to get up tomorrow.

Undefeated in 9 weeks at home. Rolls of the tongue nicely eh? :twisted:
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

We looked almost awesome !

Luongo was having a bad night...finally. Both goals against were undeserved.

The team though, with the exception of Naslund, is playing lights out.
It's like the Rangers game in reverse.

Even Nazzy was good in the first period, and scored a good goal, but he stopped rushing to the puck after the first and just waved at a great scoring chance later in the game instead of moving his feet..
God knows why he was in the shootout. He looked almost as disinterested as he did last year when he left the puck behind.
Maybe he got injured ?

But it was great to see this team finally carry Bobby Lou for a change... :shock:

...and they let it go to a shootout win so he wouldn't be embarrassed. :mrgreen:

Raymond adds a new dynamic with the twins.
It's still too early to see if it will turn into an offensive force but I agree with AV that three Sedins on a line might be one too many.
Just the two of them, with Raymond, were more than the Isles could handle.
They were conducting a clinic out there.

Edler was brilliant.

Pyatt had a great game and was looking like a power forward on a lot of rushes.

Cookie missed a wide open net but laid a great hit on Satan.

I'm a huge Burrows fan but I didn't think he was our best forward tonight.
Lots of hustle, as always, but his puck control wasn't great.
He did get involved in a number of good scoring chances though.

Linden !!!!!!! Captain Clutch.
Four for Five on the shootout now !

Fun game to watch. :D
Once again...it was great to see the team carry Bobby Lou for a change.

And give the devil his due...DiPietro was incredible tonight.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

levelheaded wrote:Best of all my slingbox looks like it was an excellent investment. The quality of the feed wasn't terrific, but it was nice to watch hockey again. Compared to paying $200 a year for Centre Ice online it's an easy choice for me.
What exactly is this slingbox (I know it transmits a TV signal to a computer) and how does it allow you to see Sportsnet Pacific in Toronto?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Jyrki21 wrote:
levelheaded wrote:Best of all my slingbox looks like it was an excellent investment. The quality of the feed wasn't terrific, but it was nice to watch hockey again. Compared to paying $200 a year for Centre Ice online it's an easy choice for me.
What exactly is this slingbox (I know it transmits a TV signal to a computer) and how does it allow you to see Sportsnet Pacific in Toronto?
My sister sent me one for Christmas... I'm sending it back... :lol: My understanding is that it allows you to watch your own TV from your laptop, whether you are on the road or anywhere that you can get on the Internet. I can't really use it since I can't install any kind of software on my work. See: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox.html
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
My sister sent me one for Christmas... I'm sending it back... :lol: My understanding is that it allows you to watch your own TV from your laptop, whether you are on the road or anywhere that you can get on the Internet. I can't really use it since I can't install any kind of software on my work. See: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox.html
What he said.

Essentially it's a little box that you connect to a cable jack and internet outlet somewhere, and it lets you watch that local cable feed on another computer anywhere on earth. To get around legal issues regarding blackouts/restrictions on programming, only one computer can be connected to that particular slingbox's feed at any given time.

The quality is terrible a lot of the time. Make no mistakes, this is not a substitute for a television. Even with a good high-speed connection on either end (ie where the slingbox is set up and where you are viewing it from) you can't expect more than 400kbps, and a screen resolution of 340x240. Don't expect to be able to read the pop-up graphics on sportsnet, but you can make out the player's numbers, score and the puck with a relative degree of simplicity. It's a lot better than just listening to the radio if you're stuck out east, that's for sure.

It's a one time payment thing too, so you don't have to pay monthly fees for it or anything and you can use it as much as you want. I'd recommend it if you're a poor student like I am, but if you have a bit more money it's probably worth it to shell out for the Centre Ice online feed because in general the quality was a bit better (from the online preview I saw during the preseason) and you get all the games centre ice offers. But then again if you want to use the slingbox for more than just hockey games then it's definitely worthwhile.

Whatever it is it's a great piece of technology, and now that I have it I've begun to wonder how I ever lived without it.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Well, now that Luongo has let in his two bad goals for 2008, we can all breathe a little easier. ;)

Impressive that Luongo could have a Marc-Andre Fleury-style meltdown - probably the two worst goals I've seen him give up as a 'Nuck - and yet the team still got two points. Tenacity and skill beat luck (and the hot goalie in Di Pietro) for once.

Pyatt was the 'Nuck who impressed me most last night. He was having a whale of a Game and it clearly sparked Nazzy.

But, holy crap did Di Pietro put on a clinic there in the First Period. Just stunning. It almost makes Millbury's decision to drop Luongo make sense. Almost . . . ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

levelheaded wrote:It's a one time payment thing too, so you don't have to pay monthly fees for it or anything and you can use it as much as you want. I'd recommend it if you're a poor student like I am, but if you have a bit more money it's probably worth it to shell out for the Centre Ice online feed because in general the quality was a bit better (from the online preview I saw during the preseason) and you get all the games centre ice offers. But then again if you want to use the slingbox for more than just hockey games then it's definitely worthwhile.
But as to my original question about circumventing the SNET blackout -- you've hooked it up to a TV set in BC, then?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Jyrki21 wrote:
levelheaded wrote:It's a one time payment thing too, so you don't have to pay monthly fees for it or anything and you can use it as much as you want. I'd recommend it if you're a poor student like I am, but if you have a bit more money it's probably worth it to shell out for the Centre Ice online feed because in general the quality was a bit better (from the online preview I saw during the preseason) and you get all the games centre ice offers. But then again if you want to use the slingbox for more than just hockey games then it's definitely worthwhile.
But as to my original question about circumventing the SNET blackout -- you've hooked it up to a TV set in BC, then?
Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

levelheaded wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Jyrki, if you had one, in theory you could hook it up to your parent's TV in BC, then watch anything that they are able to from anywthere you are... The one "problem", is that while you are watching from Armpit-du-monde, ON, no one can watch anything that you aren't on that TV in BC; you basically take over the remote (from wherever you are).
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Meerschaum wrote: - probably the two worst goals I've seen him give up as a 'Nuck - and yet the team still got two points.
Indeed, on the 2nd goal he was tripping around like a drunken russian dancing bear. :lol:

He can only get better again...no choice left.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'