W-GDT Canucks @ Oilers Apr 13 7 pm PDT SN CBC CITY

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: W-GDT Canucks @ Oilers Apr 13 7 pm PDT SN CBC CITY

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cuz also ignored my commentary about Giraffe flipping Foegle's switch to the OFF position.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Canucks @ Oilers Apr 13 7 pm PDT SN CBC CITY

Post by Meds »

We got the better goaltending tonight. Oilers definitely controlled the play more though.

DeSmith with DeWin.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I thought most of the Oiler shots were from the perimeter and we cleared the rebounds well. DeSmith had some good saves but he didn't need to come up with anything spectacular. Some stretches of the game we would just dump and chase over and over again. Complete domination. But it will be completely different with McJesus, so I wouldn't take anything from this game.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:36 pm I thought most of the Oiler shots were from the perimeter and we cleared the rebounds well. DeSmith had some good saves but he didn't need to come up with anything spectacular. Some stretches of the game we would just dump and chase over and over again. Complete domination. But it will be completely different with McJesus, so I wouldn't take anything from this game.
Could easily have been 3-0 Oilers in the first 5 minutes.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:36 pm I thought most of the Oiler shots were from the perimeter and we cleared the rebounds well. DeSmith had some good saves but he didn't need to come up with anything spectacular.
I agree. The defense cleared the traffic from the slot and gave the goalie clear looks at the shots from the outside and off angles.

The Canucks played a great road game there
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Probably the most reassuring takeaway from last night is Lindholm is a legit Selke caliber center who can absolutely shut down the oppositions top lines. His work on zee German was eye opening to say the least. Our best C by a landslide last night

Oh and Mëds....Skinner made just as many 5 bell saves as DeSmith in that opening period
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Carl:

Tyler Minors...maybe his best game as a Canuck. I can't recall a single gaff...which is a first lol
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The kind of game I enjoy. very close checking chess match.

It really shows how much the Oilers rely on McJesus to focus the opposition and open the ice for everyone else. Their powerplay was especially lacking with zee german looking lost having to drive the play instead of just finding his spot at the bottom of the circle.

Vancouver's top forwards, other than Boeser, were MIA and held in check. OK, Miller had a moment or two, but for the most part the Oiler D held them all in check. The 11.6 million dollar man wasn't worth three fiddy seven.

This is the second team I have seen send two forecheckers in immediately on Hughes and it is very effective at creating turnovers. Defensively, Huges and Hronek struggled. Vancouver began countering the Oiler aggressive forecheck with stretch passes.

Vancouver made the best of limited chances, blown Oil d coverage's for the most part. Wish they'd have shown just how close the Suter goal was to being offside.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:44 am seven.

This is the second team I have seen send two forecheckers in immediately on Hughes and it is very effective at creating turnovers. Defensively, Huges and Hronek struggled. Vancouver began countering the Oiler aggressive forecheck with stretch passes.
Good point and moving forward we will need him to move that thing a little quicker when the forecheck tries that shit. It probably comes down to holding someone back a little lower during changes. I figure if anyone can overcome that strategy it's QH43
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cuz:

I think Sauce had some tough moments, but the 4 big doods made it up by bringing the physicality. He especially got under the skin of the Evader and frustrated him the rest of the night with that legal hit.

After a decade of backend futility, it's been fun to see what having 6 legitimate NHL dmen with solid depth actually looks like. Having coaching, a system and health has really calmed the ones with chaotic reputations and given minor league depth a chance to step up and improve their games. This development is very reassuring going into the playoffs.

That's why some of us looked at the economics of the upcoming seasons. You don't want to be going back to a shambolic defensive group if you plan on competing.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:26 am Carl:

Tyler Minors...maybe his best game as a Canuck. I can't recall a single gaff...which is a first lol
Turned the wrong way and got muscled off the puck by Kane which led to a dangerous chance…..however he recovered nicely and angled Kane wide and around the back of the net forcing a suboptimal pass to the slot. But he was good otherwise.

Our blueline was actually key last night. Physical and clean play…..as noted Edmonton rarely gained the front of the net, and I don’t recall many second shot opportunities.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am Cuz:

I think Sauce had some tough moments, but the 4 big doods made it up by bringing the physicality. He especially got under the skin of the Evader and frustrated him the rest of the night with that legal hit.
That hit was a beauty. Teams who can do exactly what Soucy did in the playoffs, where emotions run hotter, will frustrate Kane into being a regular resident of the penalty box.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am Cuz:

After a decade of backend futility, it's been fun to see what having 6 legitimate NHL dmen with solid depth actually looks like. Having coaching, a system and health has really calmed the ones with chaotic reputations and given minor league depth a chance to step up and improve their games. This development is very reassuring going into the playoffs.

That's why some of us looked at the economics of the upcoming seasons. You don't want to be going back to a shambolic defensive group if you plan on competing.

It's been quite a turnaround for sure:
Quinn, comes into camp improved play at both ends
Hronek, was unknown how he would be after his injury, turns out to be perfect partner for QH
Soucy, projected to be 3rd maybe 2nd pairing, done in Spades!
Myers, huge improvement under the new coaches
Zadorov, a nice surprise pickup, brings some much needed physicality
Cole, steady veteran presence
Juulsen, finally settling in to be the player he was projected to be when drafted 28th overall
The coaching can take alot of credit for where things are too.
I doubt the blueline looks as good next season as I don't see how Alvvin will be able to resign all the ufa's.
But it sure is nice going into the playoffs with this D group healthy.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Gone, hopefully permanently, are the expectations that the Rathbones and lil Trojans are meaningful contributors.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm Gone, hopefully permanently, are the expectations that the Rathbones and lil Trojans are meaningful contributors.
Remember the hype surrounding one eyed Brogan Rafferty then he rocks back for his first dump in recovery and promptly ends his own career before it even began