GDT: DET @ VAN March 17, 7 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: DET @ VAN March 17, 7 pm SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd rather lose a squeeker to shitroit then come out angry and smoke the Lames than beat shitroit only to rock up on Calgary brimming with overconfidence only to get smoked by those cro-mags.

Sometimes a loss is a win in the #BenningBuilt universe

:mex: :mex:

(I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints....then I smoke 2 more...)
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:30 am
We know!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:46 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:30 am
We know!
It's his continual stating the obvious shit (like dat dere) that gives it away. :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:06 pm BenningBuilt shut out by a lotto team.

Gotta score on these guys, that was 2 huge points against a lesser team.
This franchise has long lacked that killer instinct needed to consistently come out and play their best game. Even the Sedin led core under Chef's favorite GM's regime was missing that spark too often when it counted.

I don't see much of that missing component in the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Perimettersson, or Hughes.

Miller is the only guy in the top-4 forward group who really shows that sort of fire game in and out (despite the mental errors at times).
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:55 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:06 pm BenningBuilt shut out by a lotto team.

This franchise has long lacked that killer instinct needed to consistently come out and play their best game. Even the Sedin led core under Chef's favorite GM's regime was missing that spark too often when it counted.

I don't see much of that missing component in the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Perimettersson, or Hughes.

Miller is the only guy in the top-4 forward group who really shows that sort of fire game in and out (despite the mental errors at times).
Garland used to light a fire in the first batch of games he played here - was he told to tone it down? Getting his teammates involved is against the Canuck Code?

But yes, consistency has been a BIG problem on this franchise for longer than I care to remember.

Horvat is good for some timely goals.
Petey isn't at the point of taking over a game - until he bulks up a bit, he won't be a force - just a shot.
Boeser... sigh... I had high hopes for this kid, but he's not looking like a top line guy any more, and has no control over a game.
Hughes is likely the only player who will be able to control a game - but that's a year or two off.

As a group, they can be very effective - but they never seem to all be 'on' the same night.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:08 am
Mëds wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:55 am

Garland used to light a fire in the first batch of games he played here - was he told to tone it down? Getting his teammates involved is against the Canuck Code?

But yes, consistency has been a BIG problem on this franchise for longer than I care to remember.

Horvat is good for some timely goals.
Petey isn't at the point of taking over a game - until he bulks up a bit, he won't be a force - just a shot.
Boeser... sigh... I had high hopes for this kid, but he's not looking like a top line guy any more, and has no control over a game.
Hughes is likely the only player who will be able to control a game - but that's a year or two off.

As a group, they can be very effective - but they never seem to all be 'on' the same night.
I didn't mention the angry elf because he's not consistently on the top 2 lines, but I agree he has fire to spare.....or at least he did.

Horvat is just too PC. He's like Ferdinand the bull.....loads of power and potential but doesn't want to offend. This team desperately needs a captain who plays "angry". Linden didn't. Messier did (but we won't discuss him for the sake of your sanity Corn). Naslund didn't. Hank didn't. Horvat doesn't.

Petey is unlikely to add much more in terms of bulk. He will be 24 later this year, and I just don't see him being anything more than he is right now. I do, however, see him being a better point producer if he is transitioned to a winger and plays with a legit top-line center.

I'm in the same boat as your regarding Boeser, he's the guy you hate to trade because he's just genuinely likeable, but ultimately he's the guy who most loudly screams that he's not going to be a core piece in a cup winning team. He's like an upgraded Nick Bonino, underwhelming in a top role, but shelter him behind a couple of guys much more threatening in the same position and he flies under the radar producing top-6 numbers in a middle-6 role.....but you have to pay him Garland's money for that, not $7.5M.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah if Bo could just find some JT Miller piss n vinegar he’d be a load better. As long as Bo keeps moving his feet he’s OK. He does need to develop his playmaking abilities more using his teammates more like a true centre, the blinders tend to go on Bo and can play like a winger sometimes

Garland creates more than Boeser offensively right now. Not sure why we are piling on Garland, he has the ability to make something out of nothing, we need more of that on the team creative offensive players, we are a bit bland in that department, Boeser is playing bland right now, not sure why.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:05 am Yeah if Bo could just find some JT Miller piss n vinegar he’d be a load better. As long as Bo keeps moving his feet he’s OK. He does need to develop his playmaking abilities more using his teammates more like a true centre, the blinders tend to go on Bo and can play like a winger sometimes

Garland creates more than Boeser offensively right now. Not sure why we are piling on Garland, he has the ability to make something out of nothing, we need more of that on the team creative offensive players, we are a bit bland in that department, Boeser is playing bland right now, not sure why.
I initially thought Garland would have been a good fit beside Horvat simply because of Garland's ability to wheel around and make things happen. Let Bo be the wrecking ball that finishes things in close or from the high slot if Garland can find him skating through there. Bo actually has a pretty good one-timer snap that we've seen on the PP from that 20 foot range. I can't recall if we've even seen those two tried together on a line.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:31 am One loss under the BenningBuilt Boudreaus and it’s the end of the world

“Charlie don’t surf” - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore
“Men are jerks. Women are psychotic.” - Kilgore Trout
____
Try to focus on someday.