GDT: Canucks host bjs - Dec 14 - 7pm - SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host bjs - Dec 14 - 7pm - SNP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff
Tyler Myers had a night. Played 29:26
Post Game, Bo Horvat 9:16 min.
"A lot happened today," says Bo Horvat. Truer words.
"It feels like deja vu... Hopefully the vaccine is working and no one is feeling too sick. The safety of the players has to come first,"
"There's a new life, a new energy in the room. It's showing on the ice." - Bo Horvat
"We talked quickly as a group and told guys what had happened last year. We felt it was unnecessary to go on the ice until our test results came back... It didn't seem like the right thing to do." - Bo Horvat on the player's advising against morning skate on Tuesday.
“Obviously he knows the way we can play, he reiterated a lot of things we do when we’re successful and obviously we didn’t do that in the first period.”-Horvat on what Bruce Boudreau said to the group in the first intermission
Game winner: Bo Horvat!!! Rather excellent videotography..
Tonight marks 10th time in his career Quinn Hughes collects 3-or-more points in a game for Canucks. It’s also 3rd time this season Hughes has 3-or-more assists in a game for the Canucks. After tonight’s action, Hughes ranks 6th overall in NHL helpers.
Tyler Myers
29min
2 assists
6 shots
3 hits
3 blocks
That is a night.
Post Game, Bruce Boudreau. 8:21 min.
Boudreau on potential of cancellation: "I hadn't heard anything about that. That hadn't come up. We had initially one guy, then two guys... If it had been like Carolina with four guys all at once, maybe they'd have made a decision. But I'm sorta glad they didn't call the game."
Boudreau on Hughes: "His passing is elite, his skating is elite, he does it effortlessly. And for a guy his size to play 27, 28 minutes a night. It's awe inspiring. I haven't had a guy like that since maybe Mike Green in his early years. But that's a special player right there."
Boudreau, on Garland dropping the gloves: "We finally had somebody showing some emotion, and it happened to be the smallest guy on the ice. Once he did that I thought the bench perked up for the 4-on-4, we scored 4-on-4, and it was a different ball game from there."
Boudreau, on Halak: "I had extensive talks with Ian Clark. We have a back-to-back coming up and we didn't think it would be fair to throw him into that without him having played. Listen, Halak's played very well in the past. He kicked my butt ten years ago, I'll never forget it."
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:55 pm Wow! I’d given up after the first. Halak looked like shit early, but he held on in the end.
Last minute, killing a penalty, 6 on 4, who does Bruce put out there?
Miller-good, Horvat - reasonable for face-offs if Miller gets tossed, Myers - yah okay, and…..
Juulsen like WTF??? are you kidding me? Last man standing? They survived, amazing comeback.

Schenn, Poolman, Hunt all out with Covid, Hamonic LTIR. Not sure how they’ll win games going forward with the patchwork defense they’ll have to use, but they sure are entertaining…..if you skip the first periods.
Juulsen was actually not bad tonight. He’s a good passer and probably a decent 3rd pairing option. Certainly better than all of our 6-8 guys not named Schenn.

And this is why Boudreau works for this team. He plays to our score the other guys. If your D is weak then score more goals. Green was of the mindset to play it safe and try to eliminate goals against by not taking chances on offence or over committing the pressure….but when your D sucks you can’t do that.

Bruce there it is.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's a lot of little things.

Good forecheck
Agressive PK
Support along the boards
Pressing the puck carrier
Go north not south
Shoot more on the PP
Different looks on the PP
Out work the other guy for the puck
Better passing, quicker passing
Dont hang onto the puck too long
Shoot more
cut down shots against
Dont sit back and let the game come to you, take the game to them
Go to the net

You know, a few simple things really.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ESQ wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 pm One of the most mind blowing improvements on the team is Tyler Myers play. Dude is blossoming
This is driving Vincenzo Tannero insane!!
I was at the game tonight and Sunday.

I have no stunning insight to offer, other than BRUCE THERE IT IS

Seriously Green was awful thigh
What were you doing tasting Greens thigh?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

COVID hits and bitch bonny had them play a socially distanced first period. They finally ignore her, get on with their jobs and produce for the win.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

This win is "5th-approved".
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 pm One of the most mind blowing improvements on the team is Tyler Myers play. Dude is blossoming
This is driving Vincenzo Tannero insane!!
I was at the game tonight and Sunday.

I have no stunning insight to offer, other than BRUCE THERE IT IS

Seriously Green was awful thigh
Green can’t have any worse thighs than the Chef. The Chef has razor thin legs with zero muscle tone. Just a bit of cottage cheese sloshing around and the propensity to hop when he walks to carry his massive shitbag around.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

donlever wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:23 pm Clearly me watching doesn't work.

Later.

(For the team and me brethren..
And Wids).
You're welcome.
DeLevering since 1999.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:29 pm Good systems and complete team buy in can hide a lot of warts.
The game they are trying to play now isn't to hide warts, its to expose the other team's warts. I think the idea is that this team has been playing like a team always playing against a better team, and that's not the case. The personnel is pretty good (Benning made and all), with several dangerous players. A poster observed (correctly) that Green employed the total collapse during the Vegas series when that team was clearly doing everything better than the Canucks. At that point, reduce high quality chances against and look for opportunistic counters made some sense -- the other answers were failing. The problem is that the success of that strategy (which was really due to Demko....) carried over as a default approach.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:16 am It's a lot of little things.

Good forecheck
Agressive PK
Support along the boards
Pressing the puck carrier
Go north not south
Shoot more on the PP
Different looks on the PP
Out work the other guy for the puck
Better passing, quicker passing
Dont hang onto the puck too long
Shoot more
cut down shots against
Dont sit back and let the game come to you, take the game to them
Go to the net

You know, a few simple things really.
Personnel changes (lines and PK) have also made a difference. Outstanding Demko goaltending has helped the apparent new approach (and I think you've provided a great list) also a successful one in terms of wins and losses. 14 goals (regulation and overtime) in 5 games isn't an eye-popping transformation, but certainly the Canucks seem more dangerous and harder to play against.

But the biggest difference is that the players the Canucks have counted on to score are scoring. Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser -- stick squeezers of one stripe or another -- have half of those goals. Miller, Pod, Garland, and Hoglander -- arguably the guys on this team that have been playing to their individual "level" all year -- have 6 of the remaining 7.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Three things that I see are they're going to the net hard instead of trying to play cute on the outside, they're making many more passes on the backhand (which I suspect was taboo under Green) and they're having the opposite side winger available much higher in their own end as a passing/breakout option.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:13 am they're having the opposite side winger available much higher in their own end as a passing/breakout option.
They aren't skating three abreast leaving only one passing option, they are having a trailer on the play.. Again, basics.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:30 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:13 am they're having the opposite side winger available much higher in their own end as a passing/breakout option.
They aren't skating three abreast leaving only one passing option, they are having a trailer on the play.. Again, basics.
Like the flying wedge!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 am
Topper wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:30 am
Like the flying wedge!
3am, stumbling home drunk

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Shite I got it wrong it's flying V fuck.

Flying wedge was the 3am hammered pizza