GDT: Canucks host bruins - Dec 8 - 6pm - SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks host bruins - Dec 8 - 6pm - SN

Post by Cherry Picker »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 pm I worry about Marchand low-bridges and slue-foots.
They guy is disturbingly dangerous in the rattiest way,
Right
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 pm and the 1986/87 Canucks won't do a damn thing about it.
Wrong, they scored
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 pm Just win!
Right

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 pm ...and if not, go against your nature and just kill.
Wrong, not necessary….yet

50% not bad when they win :D
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:31 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:16 pm So basically Green got Benning fired.
^fact^

It's refreshing to see that these guys can go toe to toe with good teams and win games. They can battle, push the pace, move pucks and defend without having to collapse like the Alamo.

They don't look slow, small or weak at all.

Jimmy went down with the SS Travis Green
It's just too obvious at this point.

Benning made an overhaul of the roster, fixing a bunch of his mistakes, but for whatever reason could not see coaching the last few seasons as a problem. Green didn't grow with the young core. Him and Baumgartner used up their bag of tricks years ago and didn't learn and adapt.

I saw how badly they were in over their heads in the bubble. They had a red-hot Demko and Bo almost single-handedly won the St. Louis series... and he had no answers in the final 3 games against VGK. None at all.

I was absolutely against re-signing the guy. I'm still shaking my head at how telling it is that the coaching was a huge problem and yet the players kept ramming their heads against the wall for these guys and getting nowhere.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post-game: Quinn Hughes 4:43 Min.
Quinn Hughes on wanting to kill penalties: For Bruce to put me on the PK, it means a lot. I’m trying to round out my game, and I’m tired of hearing that I’m just an offensive defenseman.
Quinn Hughes: I think everyone feels confident that we can go to the next one and win another one. We’re taking it one game at a time and one week at a time. The amazing thing is I think we can play better.
Post-game: Brock Boeser 3:10 min.
Brock Boeser: I talked about how I want to produce for this team and help us win hockey games. To get a couple in the last two games, it means a lot.
Brock Boeser quips, “I don’t remember too much from college” when asked about playing in the bumper on the PP — the same role be played at North Dakota.
Post-game: Bruce Boudreau 9:31 min.
“I’m hoping it’s day-to-day,” says Bruce Boudreau of OEL’s status.
Boudreau on Boeser scoring twice in as many games: "Goal scorers do that. They can go ten games without a goal and then score ten in seven games. He's starting to gain his confidence, I'd still like him to shoot more. Hopefully Petey can do the same thing."
Bruce Boudreau says Horvat’s line did a tremendous job shutting down the Bergeron line.
Bruce Boudreau didn’t have an update on Travis Hamonic and said he “hopes” that OEL is just day-to-day.
Boudreau on Hughes: "He's so quick and has a good stick. His size hasn't affected him. He told me last year he was -24, this year he's +4 and is really proud of that. That's why he wanted to start penalty killing and we told him he's going to be killing penalties now."
Take that! Mr :mrgreen:
:lol:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 pm

They aren’t slow, never were. Their puck movement was slow AF.

They started trying to do everything individually.

Use your teammates and move the puck quickly and the opposition can’t keep up. Instantly they are playing like a team!

What, 2 practices?

And wait until Petey gets his swagger back. It’s coming, you can see it, he’s working way harder!

Man the team from last week was hard to watch.
It blows my mind how dramatically different the exact same players look what...72 hours after the purge?

72 hours Aaron!

That's wild
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

If they do wind up going on a tear Jimmy could be a hot commodity for teams looking to shake up the front office. That would be by far the coolest scenario. I do hope it's not another Canadian market though, Jimmy has experienced the fishbowl now. Time for something different. Maybe join his nephew down in Nashville?
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm If they do wind up going on a tear Jimmy could be a hot commodity for teams looking to shake up the front office. That would be by far the coolest scenario. I do hope it's not another Canadian market though, Jimmy has experienced the fishbowl now. Time for something different. Maybe join his nephew down in Nashville?
Hockey people aren't stupid. They can see what JB has done with his drafting. As much as Canucks fans nitpick at this pick and that pick, other teams know how good of a job he's done, better than many others. The only problem is in other areas like asset management, trades, etc.

Could be wrong, but I doubt if he gets a GM role for awhile. Probably comes back in some other lower capacity focused on scouting, maybe assistant GM before he gets another shot.

The better Boudreau does with the "leftovers", I think the worse odds that Green gets another NHL job soon.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:39 pm

They aren’t slow, never were. Their puck movement was slow AF.

They started trying to do everything individually.

Use your teammates and move the puck quickly and the opposition can’t keep up. Instantly they are playing like a team!

What, 2 practices?

And wait until Petey gets his swagger back. It’s coming, you can see it, he’s working way harder!

Man the team from last week was hard to watch.
It blows my mind how dramatically different the exact same players look what...72 hours after the purge?

72 hours Aaron!

That's wild
Yup! And we’ve seen it before with teams in the NHL.

It’s just so obvious because it’s the team we do closely follow and witnessed the shit show the previous 20 games.

Cautiously optimistic of course because, well this is the Canucks!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I watched BB presser, I haven’t watched a Green presser in years, that says a lot about my interest in this team with a new coach.

Even the after game fist pump by BB, you can see why he is a player coach.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm If they do wind up going on a tear Jimmy could be a hot commodity for teams looking to shake up the front office.
:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:16 pm So basically Green got Benning fired.
^fact^

It's refreshing to see that these guys can go toe to toe with good teams and win games. They can battle, push the pace, move pucks and defend without having to collapse like the Alamo.

He might not have if he hadn't stayed so inconversable. A little more cheer. Upper beat chats to the fans. Should have saved his job and got permission to punt the Green.
"evolution"
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Tonight's effort was consistent with what we saw against LA, but with the loss of 2 of the Canucks top 4 D. The Canucks stuck together through some adversity without crumbling. :thumbs:

Miller continues to be an adventure. High risk, high reward. :?
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:50 pm
The Bruce is 2 for 2.
If we can keep this trend going, we’ll not only make the playoffs, but win the Stanley Cup! :D
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm If they do wind up going on a tear Jimmy could be a hot commodity for teams looking to shake up the front office. That would be by far the coolest scenario. I do hope it's not another Canadian market though, Jimmy has experienced the fishbowl now. Time for something different. Maybe join his nephew down in Nashville?
Hockey people aren't stupid. They can see what JB has done with his drafting. As much as Canucks fans nitpick at this pick and that pick, other teams know how good of a job he's done, better than many others. The only problem is in other areas like asset management, trades, etc.

Could be wrong, but I doubt if he gets a GM role for awhile. Probably comes back in some other lower capacity focused on scouting, maybe assistant GM before he gets another shot.

The better Boudreau does with the "leftovers", I think the worse odds that Green gets another NHL job soon.
I’d laugh if he ended up in anahiem, he started out there as a scout.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Frustrating to see the exact same players playing well instead of dogging it and flailing about. Did Green harp on every mistake and kill the collective confidence of the roster? Nice to see checks finished instead of a push off and retreat to the diamond.

I get the feeling Green treated the players like Jr's and AHL'rs and was more instructor than game manager.

Still too many chances from the slot on the forehand not being taken advantage of. Hoglander was the most noticeable but many others were guilty.

Hopefully it will be a long time before we see Podkolzin pyloning the PK again.

Is this the best we've seen Meyers play?

Puked listening to steamer lobbying for the permanent GM job. A HARD NO!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am Did Green harp on every mistake and kill the collective confidence of the roster?
I don't know if he killed the confidence of the roster, but I think he did focus too much attention on error and not enough on the benefits have come from risk. Its why Green couldn't stomach players like Goldobin but was pleased with little thing players. Not saying Goldy would've blossomed into a good NHL player; just saying that doing things one does well twice as well helps a hockey club win as much as fixing the things a player does wrong. But to do things twice as well, you have to encourage risk taking and simply try to help developing players exercise discretion until their skill improves. When players play not to make mistakes, they don't play to exploit the other team. Having said that, Green appeared to give considerably more leash to EP and Miller. Something different is going on there. And I think that doesn't have to do with much that BB has said, and more to do with the fact that the players know that BB is taking stock of what he has and so they are all playing for jobs/ice time/roles.
Topper wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am Hopefully it will be a long time before we see Podkolzin pyloning the PK again.
The kid won't learn how to do it unless he plays it. Having said that, BB is not playing anyone for development purposes yet. He's taking stock. And as for the PK, I think the problem was personnel first. I am pretty sure I commented to that effect. If you want new personnel on the PK, you have to get new players or use the players that weren't being used. And guess what? The PK looks better when better players are playing. Last night they gave up a 5 on 3 goal and were getting blasted on another 5 on 4 (Demko was brilliant), but they also had no less than 4 high quality shorthanded opportunities.

System *can* matter for the PK, but the fact is that take-away-time v. clog-passing-and-shooting-lanes approaches can be equally effective when executed well. Not every system is executable with the personnel being used.

Bottom line, though, I love that BB is trying out more skilled players. Last time we saw that was Torts, but Torts used skill players without all that much emphasis on the time-space & counter attack (he was into blocking shooting lanes as the priority). And so the Sedins blocked shots. Not exactly an optimal approach.
Topper wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am Is this the best we've seen Meyers play?
Watching him last night I remembered that he was once the rookie of the year. He's had a few stinkers this year, but he's had as many outstanding games (like last night) as stinkers, and I think overall he's played a solid game. He's played like a top 4 NHL defenseman.

As limited as the Canucks D personnel is, they are playing in line with their talent level. Not exceeding it, but there is no player that is playing well below their capabilities (as was the case with Schmidt the first half of last year, for example). At least that's the case 5 on 5.
Hono_rary Canadian