GDT: Canucks host rags Nov 2 - 7pm - SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host rags Nov 2 - 7pm - SN1

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Podkolzin 2 goals in the NHL this season
Turcotte 1 goal in the AHL this season
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Donnie, is that the first game you've watched this year?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Much better period and a win, thought they were a little unlucky in parts of the game.

Still don’t like Green but Myers is becoming ok.

So why did Green bench Garland again? Oh yeah because he is a dumbass.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Podkolzin 7:04 of ice time tonight. Greeners Boi Chiasser with over 14 minutes of ice time. Podkolzin don’t care
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

VAN- 2-1- EVEN:- J.T. Miller (2) Deflected, -assists: Conor Garland (6),- Elias Pettersson (4)- 01:29- 3rd--- https://streamable.com/u8so8k

VAN- 2-2 -EVEN: -Vasily Podkolzin (2) Snap Shot,- assists: Conor Garland (7),- Tyler Myers (4) -05:19- 3rd--- https://streamable.com/0oc3tn

VAN- 2-3 -EVEN: J.T. Miller (0) Backhand, -assists: Quinn Hughes (5) 02:22- OT--- https://streamable.com/iioopg --- Bedlam ensues !

Team- Shots- Hits- Power Play- Face offs
NYR---- 22---- 24----- 2/5-------- 47.7%
VAN---- 36---- 24----- 0/6-------- 52.3%

Second effort from Larsson, Kind of. ---- https://streamable.com/387qih

Shesterkin's stick luck has Cheech laughing ---- https://streamable.com/m0gky1

Pettersson rings one off the crossbar ---- https://streamable.com/oo8so5

Hanging in there. It's chaos ---- https://streamable.com/cqs4h1
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Demko with the scorpion save is quite something.

He's a bonerfried superstar man
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:01 pm Podkolzin 7:04 of ice time tonight. Greeners Boi Chiasser with over 14 minutes of ice time. Podkolzin don’t care
Fucking Green, and too think this win saved his ass.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post Game; Travis Green 6;49 min.
“Just like we drew it up,” quips Travis Green of the comeback win.
Green on the 5-on-3 sequence: "It showed the desire of our group to sell out and get the job done. That's what you want to see out of your team - a desire and a will to win."
Green on Hamonic: "I liked his game. I thought he looked sharp. Same with Schenn on his off-side."
Green on his reaction to the 5-on-3 sequence: "I turned my head and started smiling. I haven't seen anything like that. There's certain times in a game that you have to take it in and be happy for your guys. Especially with how loud the building was, it was incredible."
Posst Game; Thatcher Demko 4;59 min.
“That was maybe the loudest I’ve heard Rogers.” - Thatcher Demko
“I’ve been playing a longtime and the net hasn’t moved,” says Thatcher Demko of keeping his bearings during a scramble sequence like he faced in the third period.
Post Game Miller and Garland 5;25 min.
J.T. Miller says on his OT winner he tried “a really sour move” and “got lucky that it came back to me”.
J.T. Miller says of they reaction to the Demko 5on3 sequence at Rogers Arena was “probably the loudest I’ve ever heard this place.”
“I’m just glad that those picks didn’t hit me, and hit him.” - J.T. Miller on Demko during the 5-on-3 sequence
Conor Garland on the conversations in the dressing room after 2 periods: We weren’t panicking or anything. It was a calm room. There’s a bunch of leaders in that room.
“It was bumping,” says Conor Garland of the atmosphere in the third period. “That was the loudest I’ve heard a home arena in a while.”
The epic highlight package / Crank it up!

Miller in 2016; Look familiar?
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Podkolzin is coming along nicely. A pretty sound game in protected minutes. Play of his that really showed something was just before his rush, taking the puck to the net. Canucks were hemmed in their end chasing around, Podkolzin got the puck, made a quick deek one way and turned an took the puck behind his net and settled the play down. Glimpses of what this kid is capable of.

I get parking him late in a tied game where a rookie mistake could cost the game. He'll grow into it.

Have I mentioned that I think Pettersson is over rated? Of coarse I did, but nowhere near the dogshit he's playing now. Staple his ass to the bench for the first 30 minutes next game.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:00 pm Podkolzin is coming along nicely. A pretty sound game in protected minutes. Play of his that really showed something was just before his rush, taking the puck to the net. Canucks were hemmed in their end chasing around, Podkolzin got the puck, made a quick deek one way and turned an took the puck behind his net and settled the play down. Glimpses of what this kid is capable of.

I get parking him late in a tied game where a rookie mistake could cost the game. He'll grow into it.

Have I mentioned that I think Pettersson is over rated? Of coarse I did, but nowhere near the dogshit he's playing now. Staple his ass to the bench for the first 30 minutes next game.
What I've noticed about Pettersson is he stops skating when he has the puck now. He used to be shifty and create alot of space/separation by dancing guys one on one, taking pucks to the net.

As far as Podkolzin goes, his deployment 5on5 is fine but 100% the kid deserves some fuckin powerplay time over Chiasson. AC had another terrible night again and the Pod can easily step into that slot for him and do better.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 am
As far as Podkolzin goes, his deployment 5on5 is fine but 100% the kid deserves some fuckin powerplay time over Chiasson. AC had another terrible night again and the Pod can easily step into that slot for him and do better.
His TOI was a smidge over 7:00 min. I think he can be trusted to handle a little more. There was a few notable Canucks that didn't have their A games going. Let's give Miller a break from Petey and Brock. Line him up with Garland and the Pod on the first unit for a spell. Chiasson shouldn't be in the PP conversation whatsoever. Just an opinion.
"evolution"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:54 pm Donnie, is that the first game you've watched this year?
..a while back I intimated that I had not watched 1 minute of Canuck hockey yet this year.

Thinking about it post post :look: that was actually a misnomer. I had previously watched a few minutes of a pre-season game where I believe I commented that the only player I even recognized was Tyler Myers and only because he looked like a lost Lurch aimlessly searching for Gomez and Morticia as he was stumbling and bumbling around out there.

I watched a portion of one of the games but tbh I can not even recall which one, maybe the Oilers to see what the McDavid hype was all about?? Maybe it was the Kraken, I honestly can not recall. Whichever one it was there was clearly minimal associative impact made on my psyche.

I tuned in (and out) last night. Watched most of the first, was bored to tears and then caught the 3rd which was the portion of the game worth watching apparently.

Hand to God, as Doc puts it, I am having trouble generating much interest in the team.

I suppose part of it is I have no skin in the game, no attachment, emotional or otherwise, to anyone involved with the club either from upper management down to the shrubs.

They have my money but not my soul....
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:00 pm Have I mentioned that I think Pettersson is over rated? Of coarse I did, but nowhere near the dogshit he's playing now. Staple his ass to the bench for the first 30 minutes next game.
For whatever reason, he seemed a lot more motivated his first season. If he lost the puck, he would do what he could to get it back. These days he looks lost. I don't know that he's 'over rated' - but somewhere in that head is the kid that took over the SHL and then came here and won a Calder. #needsashrink

The last couple of games I've watched him with the vision that "number 40" is an AHL call up - and he still didn't live up to those low expectations. When Josh Bailey is more interesting to watch than your highest paid player, there's a problem. I wouldn't have guessed that he led all forwards in ice time last night - and logged more minutes than Hughes. #invisible

Miller, despite his heroics last night is still 'off'. Boeser is showing the odd flash of inspiration, but still isn't 'there' just yet. Combine that with EP40 and our top line is a mess. #captainobvious

If it wasn't for Garland, you think that there aren't any vets on this team who are inspired. Hog and Pod are coming along, but I would like to see a little more out Hoglander (I hope he doesn't know what a sophomore slump is), but I think he's turning the corner. Hoglander led the team in shots last night (4) and Podkolzin let the team in hits (6) - very good signs as they try to fill the power vacuum. #youngguns

And what can you say about Demko? Is he going to be our MVP this year? #histolose
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

I didn't watch the last two periods until this morning, but after the 2nd I thought they deserved a better fate. They're even as far as 5v5 goals for the season, it's the special teams and the production from Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander, and even Horvat, since 2 of his 4 goals came in the one game, that's killing them.

Demko was unreal, both goalies were great, and the defense held in there. The Hamonic/Schenn pairing looked awkward but I like both players and what they bring so hopefully they can get comfortable, Hughes was off on the PP a bit but otherwise quite good, OEL and Poolman were good, and Myers did the Myers thing a few times but was fine otherwise. The crowd cheering Poolman for blocking shots near the end while on the PK was great to see.

Garland really sparked on the Pettersson line, very happy with this player and him and OEL have been great additions, and that was Miller's best game of the season by far IMO, and Pettersson was a little better as a result. First time I noticed Horvat split from Pearson this season, Green has put every other combo through the blender but not that pair and Pearson isn't a top 6 player at this point and is holding Horvat back. A line of Horvat/Boeser/Hoglander should be given an extended look. Podkolzin in 7:04 of ice time got a goal and tied Schenn with 6 hits, the goal was a goalscorer's goal and there's no reason why he shouldn't be given a shot at some of Chiasson's PP time. I don't think Dickinson has much if any offensive upside, and needs to improve on face-offs as 33% like last night just doesn't cut it, and a line of him with Pearson and Pod should get an extended look. Lammikko is who he is, works hard but doesn't skate so well and is suspect on face-offs, Bailey's looking pretty good on the PK, and both as larger body 4th liners for the PK fit ok. Chiasson is a complete waste out there, he has no redeeming value.

They deserved the win against a quality Rangers team. And what is it, the last 5 goals allowed have been while shorthanded? That bodes well if they get their own PP going and some production out of the four top 6 guys.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It is weird feeling comfort when Shenn and Hamonic are on the ice together.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.