GDT: Canucks host rags Nov 2 - 7pm - SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host rags Nov 2 - 7pm - SN1

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:41 am It is weird feeling comfort when Shenn and Hamonic are on the ice together.
I thought they played well together, Hamonic played better than I thought.

EP maybe should take a timeout and relax a little to get his head back into the game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 am
Topper wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:00 pm Podkolzin is coming along nicely. A pretty sound game in protected minutes. Play of his that really showed something was just before his rush, taking the puck to the net. Canucks were hemmed in their end chasing around, Podkolzin got the puck, made a quick deek one way and turned an took the puck behind his net and settled the play down. Glimpses of what this kid is capable of.

I get parking him late in a tied game where a rookie mistake could cost the game. He'll grow into it.

Have I mentioned that I think Pettersson is over rated? Of coarse I did, but nowhere near the dogshit he's playing now. Staple his ass to the bench for the first 30 minutes next game.
What I've noticed about Pettersson is he stops skating when he has the puck now. He used to be shifty and create alot of space/separation by dancing guys one on one, taking pucks to the net.

As far as Podkolzin goes, his deployment 5on5 is fine but 100% the kid deserves some fuckin powerplay time over Chiasson. AC had another terrible night again and the Pod can easily step into that slot for him and do better.
“Nobody goes net front like Chiasser, hard to do, it takes guts and smarts, like Beags getting skates on pucks, you win with Lunchbucket” - Greener
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 am What I've noticed about Pettersson is he stops skating when he has the puck now. He used to be shifty and create alot of space/separation by dancing guys one on one, taking pucks to the net.
This is a good observation. And the one period in the last 6 that Pettersson has looked good, he was making plays at speed.

I think this observation applies to the troubles the first unit power play is having. They are looking to gain entry for the purpose of setting up the umbrella. But getting into the umbrella formation isn't the goal -- it a strategy for scoring goals once the play is "half-court". What happens after controlled entry doesn't have to be "set up". It can be chaos until chaos doesn't produce a scoring chance -- chaos to take advantage of the defense transitioning from "prevent entry" to "minimize scoring chances" -- chaos until the *defense* is organized.

And the thing is, every opponent figures this out. Sometimes the Canucks have trouble gaining controlled entry the zone -- that's going to happen. But the Canucks also seem to lose possession on the PP an inordinate amount soon after controlled entry on plays where the puck carrier is not being heavily pressured and there is not a scoring chance or one step removed from a scoring chance. I think this is because they are approaching the set up as the goal and not a strategy.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

2Fingers wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:04 am EP maybe should take a timeout and relax a little to get his head back into the game.
Maybe but I can't help considering other possible factors. Not even close to being in game shape for one. By this time, that's a worry.
Something still hurting that can't get worse from playing but still hinders. The possibility that would concern me the most, though I doubt it's true, is he really would rather be playing somewhere else.
Doesn't like the coach? A team-mate or two? Whatever, it's probably exactly what you say about getting his head back in the game. If so though, I'm shocked as creativity and finding ways to compensate for just about anything has been his forte.
He aint the only one. He does have company, Boeser being the one that comes to mind the quickest.
"evolution"
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Micky wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:03 am Doesn't like the coach? A team-mate or two? ........ He does have company, Boeser being the one that comes to mind the quickest.
Clearly Green, EP and Boeser are hating each other to the bone. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'