GDT: OCT 23 Canucks @ Kraken 7 PST CBC/SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: OCT 23 Canucks @ Kraken 7 PST CBC/SNET

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:31 am I mean fair enough...I wouldn't know (as you know) but did we not bring in new (associate) coaching to address these things for which and whom we also have to provide some time?

Put it this way....

...if a team is changing/altering/amending their system and have not gelled or become comfortable the human reaction is to err to what you are used to.

Or if you are a completely new group to end up in disarray at times.

Home game and plenty of practice ice will enhance and improve said refinements.

So are you telling me nothing has changed?

Or is it possible the cohesiveness and chemistry I mentioned has not taken full effect?
I figure this must be it but was curious about other folks opinions on it
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am Having slept on last night's game, the main concern for me is still puck control. They always are either this close to being caught by the forecheck or require a razzle dazzle move to beat someone one on one. Other teams always seem to have someone in position to receive and move a puck under pressure.

I know this always goes back to coaching but surely they have a plan in place for this and the players just aren't executing no? I mean it's every other team except Vancouver....even the bottom feeders.

What's the deal? Thoughts? (Other than flogging the old replace the coach horse)
It is coaching but lets be honest. Miller is off and on. Brock doesn't look right at all. He's trying but looks like he's one awkward play away from going down again. Pettersson's rust, confidence, mobility, on ice awareness are horrid. Maybe being back in Vancouver will help, hopefully.
No problem with the effort on Defense, for the most part, but the coaching of said defense could be a lot better. Maybe they get more meaningful
practicing in now, we'll see.
I'd love to see a Vancouver club play a solid 60 minute game. Like the bubble team vs the Blues.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The bright side is they're sailing home with a winning record, have done that without their top line producing AND haven't looked anywhere near as good as they're clearly capable of looking
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Miller is off and on but he has 7 assists(8 points total), that’s just strange.

The Lotto line didn’t play 1 preseason game together this year and it shows. I’m hoping some solid practice time together and favourable match ups at home will get them going.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:41 am The bright side is they're sailing home with a winning record, have done that without their top line producing AND haven't looked anywhere near as good as they're clearly capable of looking
Yup, luckily 2nd line & Demko have been playing well. Too much talent on the 1st line to not gel eventually, they will figure it out.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Micky wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 am I'd love to see a Vancouver club play a solid 60 minute game. Like the bubble team vs the Blues.
...man it's 6 games into the season....every sport, be it individual or team oriented, has its ebbs and flows.

The 9 - 7 New York Giants peak at seasons end (when you obviously want to) and beat the undefeated and heavily favored Patriots in the Super Bowl.

The top tennis players and golfers in liasion with their coaches fuck around with shit in their games (looking half as good as they are capable of and losing to inferior competion) constantly in an effort to peak during majors.

LeBron James isn't worried the Lakers are 0 - 2 and playing inconsistently over 48 minutes...he's working towards a new group of players gelling come Spring when the post season arrives.

This isn't the mid 70's Canadiens (fuck the Habs) who are going to waltz through the season losing only 8 games.

It's an 82 game season.

A marathon not a sprint.

We have 7 out of 12 points off a 6 game roadie to start a season.

As I said above, ebbs and flows bro.

Let them get there.

I love the passion of Canuck fans but man are we fickle from game to game, period to period and even shift to shift.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

donlever wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:53 am
...man it's 6 games into the season....every sport, be it individual or team oriented, has its ebbs and flows.
Couldn't agree more.

There are kinks being worked out, sure. The team's best player is playing his first games since February.

But while the team is not yet at 100%, they're racking up wins and banking points - thanks to the team's depth.

The two major issues for me are PK and Petey. Miller's performance is pretty consistent - he's a PPG player, gets the toughest match ups, and seems to be a bit of a slow starter.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

If we get 20 games in and EP is not trending upward then we can debate concern for the player.

His slow start to the season is easily explainable all things considered.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 am If we get 20 games in and EP is not trending upward then we can debate concern for the player.

His slow start to the season is easily explainable all things considered.
Maybe it's because he's an exceptional player on a big contract, but I would have like to seen a little more than what he's shown so far. I realize he's young, and this is likely the longest he's gone without playing in many years, but just by raw talent, he could be doing more IMO. With that said, I'm not writing him off, or suggesting a trade - just wondering what the hell is up with the kid. Nagging injury? Mental state? Motivation?

At 20 games, I think we'll be well past 'debating concern' ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Sure....I can see the picture the ARTIST is painting.

But...

...from what I'm told/have researched the kid has quicks, slick hands and a wicked shot.

The latter two he has to build confidence in coming off an injury that would (seemingly clearly) have a detrimental effect on both.

We can say he's 100% healthy but that doesn't mean he's 100% back to normal skill level/deftness wise due to lack of play/practice/confidence for whatever period of time was missed or he was unable to go full tilt.

I think he gets/deserves a pass early for just those reasons...
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

GDTs have ebbs and flows too :wink:

But it's ALWAYS been like that. Especially when knives started coming out for this group as far back as the Torts days when it was obvious to everyone (except the owners) that this team was done. It was bad and needed to be rebuilt. GDTs were way worse and not in an entertaining way.

Otherwise, we could all just watch without posting and this place would be dead.

I don't think the posters here are any more schizophrenic than other boards (ahem, Bountiful) or comments sections of Canucks-related sites. In fact, I think people here are pretty positive.

Should we only post with a Bo Knows! or a Great EN goal by the Elf!?

That would be boring.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Is the statement/query rhetorical?

Are you asking me if not?
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Statement, rhetorical, hypothetical... not asking you.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Good point Carly, especially looking at leaves land :lol:

I could be wrong, but Habs fans seem fairly sanguine about this season given their terrible off-season
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Good buddy of mine is a HUGE Habs fan living in the Smoke.

He's about ready to commit Hari Kari....

His only current saving grace are the Leaves who's ineptitude is keeping him sane....and with his bowels intact....
DeLevering since 1999.