GDT: Canucks vs Flames> Friday, Oct,1,21> 6:00 PM PST>SNET1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Flames> Friday, Oct,1,21> 6:00 PM PST>SNET1

Post by Mickey107 »

MacEwen goalie interference ---https://streamable.com/u8r9c2

Nice hit by Podkolzin ---https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1444 ... 8381320197

Gudbranson instigator--- https://streamable.com/gvzpdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VAN- 1-2- EVEN:- Jonah Gadjovich (1) Tip-In,- assists: Olli Juolevi (1),- Matthew Highmore (1)- 05:23- 2nd---https://streamable.com/8h6etr

Team- Shots- Hits- Power Play- Face offs
VAN---- 22---- 22----- 0/4-------- 55.9%
CGY---- 31---- 11----- 1/6-------- 44.1%

Post game Travis Green...Boeser will be out about a week or so..

Post Game JT Miller.

"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm Myers has been playing like this since he got here. It's not just tonight.

Juolevi looked alot better tonight and I would like to see them play him tons this preseason just to see if he continues to round out his game. There still may be a player in there after all.

I demote Mike Hunt. He's no more or less than the Stetcher du jour.

Based on what I've seen so far I let Rathbone and Juolevi share that final job.

Up front there were pretty well no stand outs. Di Giuseppe maybe?

Garland, Miller and Hog look rusty but that's to be expected.

Pod looks nervous and forces pucks too much causing panicky plays. That should settle down once he settles in. He's a good skater and looks like he uses his body well to defend the puck.
You're nitpicking too hard on Myers. He is what he is and he's not going to be playing 27 minutes a night in those prime situations in the regular season... of course we can't say until the Hamonic thing gets sorted out.

He's also going to have a lot higher caliber forwards to play with under an improved system. No more Green Baumber rope-a-dope. Hallelujah PTL!

No different than seeing Edler's nightly penalties and bone-headed plays for the last 5-6 years. Honestly. Myers is fine for now... then he's gone.

I'm actually being kind to Hunt because people love to rag on Juolevi. Olli brings a bigger overall game to the table than Hunt. With all his warts, he has value as a low-event defensive Dman who will be on one of your PK units. Hunt won't generate enough offence to hide his deficiencies. Just my opinion.

I think a Rathbone/Juolevi on the bottom pairing, with a 52/30 season split is not a bad way to have both develop.

I forgot about Di Giuseppe pizza. Lots of hustle, but is he really any better than a much cheaper Tim Schaller? Honest question. I'd put him in over MacEwan that's for sure.

I didn't expect Miller, Garland, Pods or Hogs to stand out too much once I saw both lineups. Not worried about the other three obviously, but I hope Pods doesn't get too much pressure to produce a lot of points this season.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Juolevi was the best Canuck tonight. No reason ever to get a hard-on for anything in a preseason game

On another note - ' Fuck you Strangelove'

cc oldtimer
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We iced a lineup that was expected to be out-classed by a more complete flames team - and it was.

Demko was the only player looking like he's ready to start the season. Myers had a busier night than usual and seemed ok in spots, and Ju had a couple of decent plays and some lapses, but that was a lot of ice time for the kid.

Pod looks lost, but I'm not going to worry about his 2nd game in a new land and new league. It will take some time. But then none of the forwards stood out.

I'm sure the coaches saw what they wanted to start working towards a final lineup, and that's about all that game was good for.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Now that Hughes is signed I am coming around to the idea to start Rathbone in the AHL. Let him play first pairing minutes and get ample time on the first unit PP there. That will also be a less stressed environment for him to improve his D game down there. I think OJ will be okay on the third pairing too, just ask him to be competent in his own zone, that’s all we need from him.

I think Rathbone being waiver except will see this scenario happen to start the season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Pod had the rookie nerves overpowering him last night. Must be a challenge for young russkies in a foreign land. The kid will still be a beauty once he acclimatizes to North America

Juolevi was pretty good last night

I like Gadjovich on the bottom 4

MacEwan is wearing out his welcome

Dickinson needs to show me more. I certainly hope he has more to give

Petan I’m pulling for, local kid (yeah Doyle I said that) but with what happened to his Dad I hope the guy gets a long look.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm Pod had the rookie nerves overpowering him last night. Must be a challenge for young russkies in a foreign land. The kid will still be a beauty once he acclimatizes to North America

Juolevi was pretty good last night

I like Gadjovich on the bottom 4

MacEwan is wearing out his welcome

Dickinson needs to show me more. I certainly hope he has more to give

Petan I’m pulling for, local kid (yeah Doyle I said that) but with what happened to his Dad I hope the guy gets a long look.
What happened?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

theman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:41 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm Petan I’m pulling for, local kid (yeah Doyle I said that) but with what happened to his Dad I hope the guy gets a long look.
What happened?
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leaf ... y-charity/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:43 pm
theman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:41 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm Petan I’m pulling for, local kid (yeah Doyle I said that) but with what happened to his Dad I hope the guy gets a long look.
What happened?
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leaf ... y-charity/
Link comes out as "page not found" I gather there was is a sad story here though.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Essentially, Franc Petan suffered from mental health issues and took his own life in 2019.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:18 am On another note - ' Fuck you Strangelove'
Months later and the ster is still hurting... excellent! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.