GDT: Canucks @ Kraken - 6pm - Sept 26, Spokane - PRESEASON

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Kraken - 6pm - Sept 26, Spokane - PRESEASON

Post by Cherry Picker »

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm Rathbones solidifying his spot in the top 6 D.

Yeah send career vet 33yr old, 5’9’’, 177 lbs Brad Hunt to Abby, close to his home town Maple Ridge.

Keep Juolevi whose play improved throughout the game.
Offensively Boner looked good, but in today’s game he was the worst of those three defensively.
He’s safe as long as Hughes doesn’t sign. They won’t need Rathbone’s offence if both Hughes and OEL are playing, so he better start showing more defensively.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 pm Rathbones solidifying his spot in the top 6 D.

Yeah send career vet 33yr old, 5’9’’, 177 lbs Brad Hunt to Abby, close to his home town Maple Ridge.

Keep Juolevi whose play improved throughout the game.
Boner is definitely way ahead of any LHD not named OEL or Hughes. He's got it locked up IMO.

Everyone piling on Juolevi, but I see his overall game was solid. His skillset is never going to stand out. His third period was decent, good on the PK and a couple of good shifts in the offensive zone.

Nope. I just don't see how Hunt is ahead of Juolevi. This guy will get eaten alive by real NHL lineups. I didn't see anything offensively from him that would cover his defensive play. If we see him in the lineup, we're in deep shit.
The schedule alone will eat a guy like Brad Hunt up. Especially ours, out in the far reaches of the continent. Go with the young guys.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 pm Offensively Boner looked good, but in today’s game he was the worst of those three defensively.
He’s safe as long as Hughes doesn’t sign. They won’t need Rathbone’s offence if both Hughes and OEL are playing, so he better start showing more defensively.
That's a very astute observation, CP.

I hope fans don't go blowing their wads early. The coaches and management should assess his overall performance during this preseason accordingly to see if he can actually handle the defensive side of the game for an entire regular season.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Game
Shoot out
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

The 4th line competition did not heat up. Highmore and Lockwood did not impress.
I don’t get why Highmore would make the team over MacEwen?
Dickinson played a tough defensive game, but there was no sign of the hidden offensive ability Benning spoke of.
I thought Di Giuseppe was the most effective in the checking role, still not as quick as Motte, but not bad.
Based on today’s game, I’d go with the raw Klimovich on the 4th line over any of the above players even if he has no clue what he’s doing. :D
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vancouver #Canucks@Canucks
"It's not every day you get a scoring chance like that, so I was happy to put that one home. The crowd and atmosphere helped me settle into my game." - Jack Rathbone
Post Game, Jack Rathbone at Kraken 09.26.21
9:21 PM · Sep 26, 2021·
Travis Green post game interview
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Anyone else think Spokane already has a better NHL fan base than Florida and Arizona?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 am Anyone else think Spokane already has a better NHL fan base than Florida and Arizona?
Well lookie here, a gdt.

1 - a good deal of hockey history down there, over a hundred years plus or minus. Fans were chanting Sea - Hawks - long before the NFL came to town.

..so your query it makes sense no?

2 - this Canuck thing is going to be harder on me than I thought.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

donlever wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am
Well lookie here, a gdt.

1 - a good deal of hockey history down there, over a hundred years plus or minus. Fans were chanting Sea - Hawks - long before the NFL came to town.

..so your query it makes sense no?
I don't know much about the minor/major-junior history of the PNW, but I'm not surprised to hear that given what we saw last night.

I see the capacity is 10,366. The Panthers and Coyotes typically "report" attendance around 13,000 - with real attendance likely below 9000.

Kraken tickets for the preseason in these little arenas (also playing in Kent and Everett) are going for $95-150. I can get a ticket on Seatgeek for a reg season game for under $10 right now :lol:

I agree none of this is shocking stuff, but how nice to see the league finally stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole, and putting a team in a place to succeed.

With these kinds of ticket prices, and what I presume will be year-long sellouts, I think that bodes very well for league revenues rebounding and the cap going up sooner than later.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 am I don't know much about the minor/major-junior history of the PNW, but I'm not surprised to hear that given what we saw last night.
...the junior team was the Breakers for a bit then became the Thunderbirds (but the original etymology was from Vancouver, the Nats and then Kamloops, the Chiefs..)

We used to go down to the Seattle Centre Coliseum in '89 - '90 and watch Nedved play.

Seattle was a great team that year and Petr was electric along with some slick kid named Goodall (I believe) who never ended up in the show, I don't think.

In the small world train of life I believe Bill Laforges kid has something to do with the team in its current incarnation if my memory banks are working correctly.

Anyway, yeah, lots of hockey history in Washington State....
DeLevering since 1999.