GDT: Senators @ Canucks>4/24/2021>7pm>SNEP/CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Senators @ Canucks>4/24/2021>7pm>SNEP/CBC

Post by Mickey107 »

Tkachuk hits Hamonic and pops out the pane of glass / more like saran wrap.--- https://streamable.com/hbsmrg

JT Miller pestering the goalie --- https://streamable.com/rlvuh6

Hawryluk and Brannstrom drop the gloves --- https://streamable.com/zepc08

Nice job with the little extra for the Ref there, Jake ---https://streamable.com/bknjio

Easy save for Holtby on the Formenton penalty shot --- https://streamable.com/yh8os6

Collin White gets nailed by a shot --- https://streamable.com/xocnuz

Formenton with a dangerous hit on Travis Boyd --- https://streamable.com/0nhlp2

Horvat salutes the camera knowing he's saluting You! ---https://streamable.com/nf24y3
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm I'm liking this HighMore guy for making smart little plays. It looks like the coaches like his d-zone work as well. Doesnt have much of a touch on offense but we desperately needed a defensively sound guy who can kill penalities instead of whatever the fuck Gaudette was
What I love about the new guys Hawryluk and Highmore is their energy. They constantly have their legs pumping and really filling that bottom 6 role properly.

Along with Motte (and even 4th line Jake), you have guys who aren't mismatched in their roles.

What I don't like is, none of them asides from a very brittle Birdbones, can deliver any kind of offence. And if you're getting 3rd line minutes, that is a lot of pressure on the top 6 to consistently score.

MacEwan has been really disappointing. He's been displaced in the bottom role and offers nothing up the lineup. Not using his size, not doing much of anything.

Jake, in his usual fashion, has actually been very good on the 4th line (asides from regular brain cramps). He's the prototypical 4th liner... too bad he's paid like a top 6 and was drafted 6th overall.
I agree with a lot of this post. That said as someone who subscribes to a top 9, I can’t see Highmore, Hawrlyuk and Motte all here unless they are forwards 11,12 and 13 at best. But you’re right they play with more pace than a lot of the other slugs down there.

Next year

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Piglander
Podkolzin X Y
Motte Z Hawrlyuk
Highalways

Need two top nine forwards and potentially a fourth line centre. Not to mention another top 4 D. Elms has his work cut out if playoffs next year are in his sights.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Very interesting Vinny...

As much as I like them doing their jobs for now, having Highmore, Hawryluk and Motte in the lineup at the same time or even the same team, isn't making progress.

You need very strong 3rd and 4th centers to have a deep team. Birdbones brings some really good elements (smart, dependable when not injured, great on draws, PK) but we can't have both him and Beagle. Sutter looks ready to have a wheel fall off every shift. I think you have to let him walk because who's going to take Beags?

Not sure I see a 3rd line center in our prospect pool. What does Elmer do? Trade or sign for a better one? That's going to cost more than re-signing Sutter. A conundrum for sure.

However, I think Pods is going to take care of one of the questions. I feel certain he's going to come in and make an impact right away like Hoglander did. Personally, I would have Nils on the 3rd line, but our top 6 is not that great TBH and we kind of need him there.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

“Every game is a must-win. You want to give yourself the best chance possible and now we have games in hand, which could be key for us. We have to keep pushing and stay in the win column.” - Pearson
Post-game Holtby..6:17 min.
“It was a pretty gutsy effort. Timely goals for us. Our guys did a good job hanging in there and making plays when they had to.” - Holtby
Post- game Green..6:27
“Our PK did a great job tonight and we got a big power play goal. It was a good response and we needed it from our team.” - Coach Green
--Travis Green on the upcoming schedule: We have to go play the games. If guys are banged up or not ready to go, we’ll put new bodies in. I’m not too worried about it. It is what it is.
-Travis Green on Tyler Motte: He’s a guy you can really rely on in hard places. -
Post game Highmore and Hughes..5:22 min.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Haven’t done this in a while, but the gap is shrinking so here are the standings above and below 500 after tonight.

Leaves +17
Oilers +11
Jets +10
Habs +3
Canucks 0
Flames -2
Senators -10

Now I might have slightly insinuated the Canucks’ season was over. I may have been a few percentile off the mark with that description, but who would guess the Habs were going to implode over the last month. If the Habs keep their current pace, the Canucks might actually make it in. Playing anything over 500 for the rest of the season should put them in contention to make the playoffs. That will be no mean feat considering they will have had literally the worst schedule in the history of the NHL. If the Habs keep sinking, Calgary will be a bigger threat with their relatively normal schedule and recent better play. I’m not saying I like the Canucks chances, but yes Jim Carey, there is a chance.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:45 pm
Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm Bo Borvat
:hmmm:

EDIT:
Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm Last edited by Micky on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
:lol:

Say 'thank you' motherfucker!!
Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 pmJT 1000
Yup:
Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm JT Mille

Also:
Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm Olli Juolev
Micky the butcher.

Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm ü
:scowl:
Micky wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:37 pm Last edited by Micky on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But where's my "thank you"!
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Even an ugly win...... is a win :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:39 pm Even an ugly win...... is a win :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:44 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:39 pm Even an ugly win...... is a win :thumbs:
Was that from last night?
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm Was that from last night?
No, but I just found it and felt compelled to use it. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm I'm liking this HighMore guy for making smart little plays. It looks like the coaches like his d-zone work as well. Doesnt have much of a touch on offense but we desperately needed a defensively sound guy who can kill penalities instead of whatever the fuck Gaudette was
What I love about the new guys Hawryluk and Highmore is their energy. They constantly have their legs pumping and really filling that bottom 6 role properly.

Along with Motte (and even 4th line Jake), you have guys who aren't mismatched in their roles.

What I don't like is, none of them asides from a very brittle Birdbones, can deliver any kind of offence. And if you're getting 3rd line minutes, that is a lot of pressure on the top 6 to consistently score.

MacEwan has been really disappointing. He's been displaced in the bottom role and offers nothing up the lineup. Not using his size, not doing much of anything.

Jake, in his usual fashion, has actually been very good on the 4th line (asides from regular brain cramps). He's the prototypical 4th liner... too bad he's paid like a top 6 and was drafted 6th overall.
$2.55M is top-6 money? :eh:

Jake is paid like an average 3rd liner. He plays like a 4th liner with flashes of 1st line ability.

Is Canuck fans just need to get over his draft position. Lol.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Why?

When I was defending Jake earlier in his career, calling for patience, peeps were all up in arms about his draft position and how he didn't deserve his measly salary because it was too much for a bottom 6 type player.

Man, you can't win.

Defend the guy and you're wrong. Call him out and you're wrong. Jeez.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!