GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Vin Tanner »

rats19 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:51 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:37 pm The boys dug deep against these pricks. Snake that extra point and come home
They dug deep? They got their fucking heads caved in. 49 is s the only reason they got a point.
I wouldn’t go that far doyle they played varying degrees of bad and good to me...
They had an awful first period and played well for half of each of the last two periods. The Habs were far better.


In this game they were outshot 40-18. The shot attempts were at least 2-1 in favour of Montreal. They had the puck way more often. It’s rope a dope hockey. If they don’t get elite netminding they are a garbage team as we saw for the first 25 games. They are 8-2-1 in their last 11 purely because of goaltending that is stopping 94 .5 % of the shots. It isn’t sustainable.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by rats19 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:00 pm
rats19 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:51 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:37 pm The boys dug deep against these pricks. Snake that extra point and come home
They dug deep? They got their fucking heads caved in. 49 is s the only reason they got a point.
I wouldn’t go that far doyle they played varying degrees of bad and good to me...
They had an awful first period and played well for half of each of the last two periods. The Habs were far better.


In this game they were outshot 40-18. The shot attempts were at least 2-1 in favour of Montreal. They had the puck way more often. It’s rope a dope hockey. If they don’t get elite netminding they are a garbage team as we saw for the first 25 games. They are 8-2-1 in their last 11 purely because of goaltending that is stopping 94 .5 % of the shots. It isn’t sustainable.
Still not a heads caved in game....to me
To... Or not..
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Vin Tanner »

rats19 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:03 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:00 pm
rats19 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:51 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:37 pm The boys dug deep against these pricks. Snake that extra point and come home
They dug deep? They got their fucking heads caved in. 49 is s the only reason they got a point.
I wouldn’t go that far doyle they played varying degrees of bad and good to me...
They had an awful first period and played well for half of each of the last two periods. The Habs were far better.


In this game they were outshot 40-18. The shot attempts were at least 2-1 in favour of Montreal. They had the puck way more often. It’s rope a dope hockey. If they don’t get elite netminding they are a garbage team as we saw for the first 25 games. They are 8-2-1 in their last 11 purely because of goaltending that is stopping 94 .5 % of the shots. It isn’t sustainable.
Still not a heads caved in game....to me
Not in terms of score. But they were outplayed by a large margin as they are most nights. They don’t have enough talent.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Cherry Picker »

Sorry Holtby, you’re a Loui. Demko probably wins us that game.
Price was not as sharp as most games he plays against us.
Three points each in the two game set wasn’t enough.

Toronto +10
Winnipeg +8
Edmonton +7
Montreal +6
Calgary +1
Vancouver 0
Ottawa -10

Really not much reason not to be sellers now.
We are all Jim Benning.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15801
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Micky »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:06 pm
But they were outplayed by a large margin as they are most nights. They don’t have enough talent.
They could use two upgrades on players for sure but it's not just talent, it's structure and the dopey plays they try and run. Something's wrong with the chalk board draw-ups for sure.
"evolution"
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14828
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I blame Sutter
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 10180
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Cornuck »

I blame this team's complete inability to play for 60 fucking minutes like the millionaires they are.

Wheres the focus?
2021 - Playoff Bound
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15801
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Micky »

VAN -1-1- EVEN: -Jake Virtanen (4) Wrist Shot-, assists: J.T. Miller (20)- 00:22- 2nd --- https://streamable.com/0pv5iv

VAN- 2-1 -PPG:- Brock Boeser (16) Slap Shot,- assists: Quinn Hughes (25),- Bo Horvat (12)- 08:08- 2nd --- https://streamable.com/j637cb

VAN- 3-3- EVEN:- Bo Horvat (14) Tip-In,- assists: Quinn Hughes (26),- Nils Hoglander (9)- 00:22 -3rd --- https://streamable.com/dt8ack

VAN- 4-3 -EVEN:- Tyler Motte (6) Wrist Shot,- assists: Jayce Hawryluk (1),- Jordie Benn (8)- 00:55- 3rd --- https://streamable.com/xe8e09

Team-- Shots-- Hits-- Power Play-- Face offs
VAN----- 18----- 26------ 1/1--------- 47.2%
MTL----- 40----- 28------ 1/1--------- 52.8%



Price: Whoa, Fuck! --- https://streamable.com/ex8v4i

Round three including Boeser's goal --- https://streamable.com/p7rgnc

Gaudette attempt, ALMOST--just a wee bit higher ---https://streamable.com/r1sm3d
"evolution"
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 pm I blame this team's complete inability to play for 60 fucking minutes like the millionaires they are.

Wheres the focus?
Yeah. And clearly Ducharme and Co have the chops to adjust to Green’s adjustment. At which point Green can’t adjust.

Poor passing and bad puck support. The matter exacerbated the former.

Holtby.....at least it’s only a 2 year deal. But we’re now looking at $10M for goaltending next year.

So goaltending, Loui, Beagle, and Rousseau are going to cost us $22M. Ouch!!!
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Vin Tanner »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 pm I blame this team's complete inability to play for 60 fucking minutes like the millionaires they are.

Wheres the focus?
We all want them to win. But I can’t for a second say I enjoy the style they are playing. They are in a defensive shell because they don’t have the personnel to push the pace more than periodically. It’s just not a deep team and you need three lines that can play and play with speed. We have like five forwards that do that. Need at least five more. And the D gets no support from the winger at all. I’ll give the centres their due, they try to come back and help. The wingers are abysmal for the most part- they don’t win puck battles and they can’t seem to support the D down low when it calls for it. They blow the zone constantly. Gaudette and Virtanen are not kids anymore. Motte and Hawrlyuk try hard but these are 4th line guys on a decent team. Throw them with the anchor that is Beagle next year and I’m fine I with that as a 4th line. The problem is forwards 6-9 do not exist.

The D is as good as can be expected. They lack speed and skill. Hilarious how some want to run Schmidt out of town. He’s a damn good player and to me one of the few who can skate and can the put the puck on a teammates stick with speed and precision. All of Edler, Benn and Hamonic can’t be back next year. I think Hamonic has an inside track due to handedness. But what about Myers? He is good one night, awful the next and an adventure almost every night. It’s a Frankenstein collection and if Juolevi can’t crack this group I don’t have high hopes for him. Hughes has been a train wreck defensively for most of the season.

They need some major turnover. I’d look at shipping out a 2nd and a decent prospect to get rid of Louie. I’d buy out Virtanen if I couldn’t get a 7th for him. IE- no salary coming back in any deal. Maybe look at buying out Holtby but that might not be a good look. Slash and cut costs as fast as you can and hope to land a decent player or two before the expansion draft from a team with too much depth. No more “we ran out of time” bullshit either.
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
User avatar
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am
Location: North Shore

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Far too much reliance on the rope a dope by Green for my liking but I'll take the result. I was hoping to take three points out of Montreal this weekend and damned if we didn't accomplish that.

So, pleased with the outcome but not very happy with the process. If we could only hypnotize Greener and convince him to coach like we're down a goal at all times. That'd be much better watchin' if nothing else...
el rey del mambo
User avatar
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am
Location: North Shore

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Good observation about Schmidt there Doyle. We're seeing the real Schmidt now and he's a damned good all around defenseman.
el rey del mambo
User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Cherry Picker »

Horvat and Miller are the only two with enough skill and speed to drive play. Hoglander and Boeser have the skill, but not the straight ahead speed. They complement well but don’t drive play. Having them both on the same line is not great because it is too easy for the opposition defence to break out against them. They need Petey and Podkolzin to help drive play next season. Resigning average skaters like Sutter and Pearson would be a mistake.
We are all Jim Benning.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by rats19 »

We all knew we were hamstrung for another year or 2 with the cap.... so all our pluses have some minuses for a while.

Let’s try and enjoy the good we have ... 17 pts out of the last 22 possible I think... that’s fucking awesome for a bad team that can’t win 2 in a row :sly:
To... Or not..
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15801
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Micky »

We need up-grades on the third and fourth lines and two new defense men. Can't accomplish it in one year, it's going to take two. Some guys were brought in on very generous contracts that haven't had the desired effect. Beagle is terrible, Roussel not much better. Sutter will be riding off in to the sunset and 21 remains another year to watch. There are good things on the horizon to be sure. Podkolzin should help.
I have no problem with Holtby as a back-up. Very glad we didn't re-sign Markstrom at that big 6er. The defense should be fine next year with Rathbone and Juolevi drawing in. I wont say Tryamkin because I don't know if that's anything. There will be plenty of moving parts around the league as early as the trade deadline. Aging vets are not desirable in this neck of the woods anymore.
"evolution"
Post Reply