GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ habs Mar 20 4 pm pst CBC SN

Post by Mickey107 »

Quinn Hughes; post-game..4;56 min.
Quinn Hughes: We probably didn't have our best game tonight, but we battled back, we defended, we competed.
Bo Horvat; post-game..6;00, min.
Bo Horvat: We were obviously a little tired, but I thought we battled hard, stuck with our game, didn't fold and Holts came up big for us tonight. -- I thought Holts played phenomenal. I don't know how many of those goals he couldn't see the puck. You don't blame your goalie on those ones. You can't stop what you can't see.
-We've been playing really well as of late. I like our group right now. We've got a solid four lines that can play against anybody and are playing well. We're going to try and win every single game no matter what, and we'll see what happens.
Braden Holtby; post-game..5;57 min. Very deep interview..
[Braden Holtby on his play: For the most part, prepared well. Obviously, four screen type goals. That kind of shows a trend, so that's something to work on.
--Braden Holtby on the screened goals tonight: I think a bit of it is just reading patterns. A couple of them I was airing to the side of where the shot would most likely go instead of holding the middle and hope it hits me that way.
--Braden Holtby: Thatch has obviously been playing as good hockey as I've seen a goalie play. We need to win games right now, and he's given our team as good a chance to win as you can get.
---Braden Holtby on the screened goals he gave up: It sounds like an excuse, and it isn't, but it is one of the things that's tough to replicate in practice, but at the same time, I've played a long time, so I should be ready for those no matter what.
Travis Green; post-game..4;37 min.
Travis Green: It was a hard fought game. I like that we battled back when we weren't playing well. I didn't like the second half of the second period. ---Travis Green: If you're going to be in front of the goalie, you've gotta get in front of the shot.
Brendan Batchelor quotes
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 pm I wont say Tryamkin because I don't know if that's anything.
Good for you for standing your ground Mick!

Just because he hates his KHL team now and the KHL has slashed salaries

... just because his KHL contract is coming to an end

... just because he + agent have said he wants to sign with the Canucks

... and Canucks have said that's mutual

... doesn't mean a damn thing!

For all we know he may quit hockey and become a Tibetan monk!

____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm Far too much reliance on the rope a dope by Green for my liking but I'll take the result. I was hoping to take three points out of Montreal this weekend and damned if we didn't accomplish that.

So, pleased with the outcome but not very happy with the process. If we could only hypnotize Greener and convince him to coach like we're down a goal at all times. That'd be much better watchin' if nothing else...
Sure. Hoping for 3 points.....but only giving them 2. Instead the team we are chasing we simply split with and gained nothing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Phil Daneault 6-1 200
Brendan Gallagher 5-9 185
Nick Suzuki 5-11 200
Tomas Tatar 5-10 180
Paul Byron 5-9 160

These 5 quick little smurfs came at Vans defense with constant speed coupled with controlled pressure which forced them to bobble and turnover pucks.

All. Season. Long.

If they miss the playoffs it is due to the canucks coaching staff inability to recognize and counter this pressure from the hab runts...not from Toffoli
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 pm We need up-grades on the third and fourth lines and two new defense men. Can't accomplish it in one year, it's going to take two. Some guys were brought in on very generous contracts that haven't had the desired effect. Beagle is terrible, Roussel not much better. Sutter will be riding off in to the sunset and 21 remains another year to watch. There are good things on the horizon to be sure. Podkolzin should help.
I have no problem with Holtby as a back-up. Very glad we didn't re-sign Markstrom at that big 6er. The defense should be fine next year with Rathbone and Juolevi drawing in. I wont say Tryamkin because I don't know if that's anything. There will be plenty of moving parts around the league as early as the trade deadline. Aging vets are not desirable in this neck of the woods anymore.
Juolevi and Rathbone can't even crack this year's blueline. How is it that they will draw in next year and everything will be fine? If they are regulars it means that some of this year's regulars are gone.....and this year isn't looking all that strong.

The plan should be for Juolevi OR Rathbone to draw in. Not both.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:31 am Phil Daneault 6-1 200
Nick Suzuki 5-11 200
Tomas Tatar 5-10 180
Paul Byron 5-9 160

These 5 quick little smurfs came at Vans defense with constant speed coupled with controlled pressure which forced them to bobble and turnover pucks.

All. Season. Long.

If they miss the playoffs it is due to the canucks coaching staff inability to recognize and counter this pressure from the hab runts...not from Toffoli
Our coaching staff is a joke.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:27 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm Far too much reliance on the rope a dope by Green for my liking but I'll take the result. I was hoping to take three points out of Montreal this weekend and damned if we didn't accomplish that.

So, pleased with the outcome but not very happy with the process. If we could only hypnotize Greener and convince him to coach like we're down a goal at all times. That'd be much better watchin' if nothing else...
Sure. Hoping for 3 points.....but only giving them 2. Instead the team we are chasing we simply split with and gained nothing.
The Habs havent played anyone else anywhere near as well as they've played vancouver at least. The smurfs dont do well when the oppositie is rubbing them out on the back wall. Vans defensive gameplan includes allowing teams to cycle behind their net and protecting the slot...which happens to feed perfectly into their strategies apparently
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nick Suzuki 5-11 200
Tomas Tatar 5-10 180
Paul Byron 5-9 160

All. Season. Long.

I don’t disagree with some of this. We are too fucking slow. But do you think if we had more than five or six top 9 forwards we might be able to sustain an attack for more than a shift or two consecutively. We haven’t had a third line all season. We have a top line, 2/3 of a second line and a pile of 4th line scrubs.

Yes the D is too slow and lacks skill. The forward lines are in worse shape imho.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:32 am
Micky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 pm
The defense should be fine next year with Rathbone and Juolevi drawing in.
Juolevi and Rathbone can't even crack this year's blueline. How is it that they will draw in next year and everything will be fine? If they are regulars it means that some of this year's regulars are gone.....and this year isn't looking all that strong.

The plan should be for Juolevi OR Rathbone to draw in. Not both.
I think Juolevi could have worked out this year I wish they had of stuck with him. The blue line has been pretty healthy for the most part which is a new wrinkle, but he looked good against Calgary. Rathbone may be their best newcomer next year. Both these guys can out skate most of the current D-squad save Hughes and Schmidt. Benn's a good guy but do we need to give him another deal? Then there's Edler and his and the team's decision.
Hamonic is auditioning himself right now.
I just really do not think we need to buy anything new outside the organization.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:39 am
Nick Suzuki 5-11 200
Tomas Tatar 5-10 180
Paul Byron 5-9 160

All. Season. Long.

I don’t disagree with some of this. We are too fucking slow. But do you think if we had more than five or six top 9 forwards we might be able to sustain an attack for more than a shift or two consecutively. We haven’t had a third line all season. We have a top line, 2/3 of a second line and a pile of 4th line scrubs.

Yes the D is too slow and lacks skill. The forward lines are in worse shape imho.
The defense are waaaaay too slow processing pucks. Its fucking garbage that these defenseman take longer to receive then forward a pass than it takes for a french smurf to get there and cause a fumble. "The puck always moves faster than a forechecker" doesnt really apply to the Vancouver defense.

An NHL defense can be quick or physical. Our defense is neither. Vancouver cant seal the wall behind their net in time which is the heart of all this angst. They allow both pucks and puck carriers to constantly pass through this ice while they maintain constant pressure on the forecheck.

This is the fatal flaw in the bumgarter/Green d-zone coverage
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The forward group has holes but IMO it isnt a fatal flaw like the defense is(except Sutter :scowl: ). They need a makeover back there
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So you think MacEwen, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette, Virtanen etc are all quality forwards?

I agree the D is slow and timid. That isn’t on the coaches. They can’t make chicken salad out of chickenshit.

This is a Frankenstein collection of players. That’s on the GM.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 am So you think MacEwen, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette, Virtanen etc are all quality forwards?

I agree the D is slow and timid. That isn’t on the coaches. They can’t make chicken salad out of chickenshit.

Theres a place for Mac and maybe Beagle but thats about it for that group. Mac can line up against the bigger teams but when the micro-gorfs come along they need speed.

Hawryluk and Motte are good, the rest need to be upgraded
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 am So you think MacEwen, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette, Virtanen etc are all quality forwards?

Theres a place for Mac and maybe Beagle but thats about it for that group. Mac can line up against the bigger teams but when the micro-gorfs come along they need speed.

1 Pettersson
2 Horvat
3 Miller
4 Boeser
6 Hoglander
10 Motte
11 Hawrlyuk
12 Beagle
13 MacEwen

I’m hoping Podkolzin can fill one of those empty spots.

The D is also a clusterfuck
1 Hughes- by default should become a legit 1 one day
2 Schmidt
4 Myers -by default but is better as an overpaid 5
They can’t bring back all of Edler, Benn and Hamonic. Bring back the two cheapest ones. They are all support players at this point. I’m really getting tired of Edler trying to play goal.

They need to do what the Avs did and target a guy like Devon Toews. They had lots of talent in the pipeline coming up but they still went out and acquired a good young D man who was due a big raise. This is why cap space is important and the dumb dumb contracts needed to stop a few years ago. I think the roster should be turned over 6 or 7 players next year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:59 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 am

1 Pettersson
2 Horvat
3 Miller
4 Boeser
6 Hoglander
10 Motte
11 Hawrlyuk
12 Beagle
13 MacEwen

I’m hoping Podkolzin can fill one of those empty spots.

The D is also a clusterfuck
1 Hughes- by default should become a legit 1 one day
2 Schmidt
4 Myers -by default but is better as an overpaid 5
They can’t bring back all of Edler, Benn and Hamonic. Bring back the two cheapest ones. They are all support players at this point. I’m really getting tired of Edler trying to play goal.

They need to do what the Avs did and target a guy like Devon Toews. They had lots of talent in the pipeline coming up but they still went out and acquired a good young D man who was due a big raise. This is why cap space is important and the dumb dumb contracts needed to stop a few years ago. I think the roster should be turned over 6 or 7 players next year.
I can agree with this. Its sad to say but if Eddy wants bank ya have to let him walk. I could imagine Hamonic coming back for under 2 before AE and I'm ok with that. You add big Napkin to compete with juolevi on that bottom pairing and see what Rathboner can bring otherwise you go outside of the organization for an upgrade to the right side.

Pod should slide into that top 6 and if not would be a helluva 3rd liner. That Phil Daneault is Ufa this summer although he turned down a 6 year 30 mill extention, hes not worth north of 5