GDT: Canucks vs Leaves>02/08/21>4pm>SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Leaves>02/08/21>4pm>SNETP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Micky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:18 pm Jake is a basket case. Too fat now to even do cross-overs. Take a mid second for the goof.
At this point I'd rather have beer chi.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:19 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:12 pm Lol the Leaves toy with Vancouver for two periods, then pour it on. Lmfao
:scowl:
Yeah, he's laughing at our team. :scowl: A true fan :roll:
I want the grubby pricks that own the team to pull their head out of their anuses. Maybe if the losses pile up they’ll get their shit together and make some fucking changes.

The Canucks effort and execution this year has been hilarious to watch.

Is it still pre season in your eyes?

What are the excuses?
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

OMG what an embarrassment. this is what happens when you put yourself in the ultimate CAP HELL and pay 35 million to complete garbage.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

BigTuna wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:27 pm OMG what an embarrassment. this is what happens when you put yourself in the ultimate CAP HELL and pay 35 million to complete garbage.
At least we didn't lose to the Senators.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:22 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:12 pm Lol the Leaves toy with Vancouver for two periods, then pour it on. Lmfao
I want the grubby pricks that own the team to pull their head out of their anuses. Maybe if the losses pile up they’ll get their shit together and make some fucking changes.

What are the excuses?
Preseason ended after the 2nd game against OTT, in my eyes. Since then there's no excuses.

Never liked Travis. This is still the team that pulled a series win out of the hat against the Blues. Coach has to go.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Some may think the better effort from the Canucks in the first two periods represents an improvement, but I suspect the Leaves were doing a modern riff on the 80s Oilers tonight. If that's true, it's actually far, far worse.

Well, the Oilers and Flames will have to play the Leaves and Habs, too, so that may even out. The next four games are actually more important to the Canucks' playoff chances.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

What are the excuses?
It was a better effort tonight Doyle. And it still looks like they need practice. I maintain coaching is fucked. Not necessarily only Green.
The way the defense collapses right in to the crease is nuts. They stand right in front of the goalie.
The offense likes to pass it around for the perfect shot. You would swear they were still trying to mimic the Sedin days.
"evolution"
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm Some may think the better effort from the Canucks in the first two periods represents an improvement, but I suspect the Leaves were doing a modern riff on the 80s Oilers tonight. If that's true, it's actually far, far worse.

Well, the Oilers and Flames will have to play the Leaves and Habs, too, so that may even out. The next four games are actually more important to the Canucks' playoff chances.
It was an improvement in effort, but they couldn’t keep up when the Leaves hit the gas in the 3rd. This team is riddled with holes and has poor coaching and a management/ownership group that is asleep at the wheel. Looks like they may have punted the season already.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Much improved effort tonight. A building block performance.

We're beginning to turn the corner, you can sense it...
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:38 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm Some may think the better effort from the Canucks in the first two periods represents an improvement, but I suspect the Leaves were doing a modern riff on the 80s Oilers tonight. If that's true, it's actually far, far worse.

It was an improvement in effort, but they couldn’t keep up when the Leaves hit the gas in the 3rd. This team is riddled with holes and has poor coaching and a management/ownership group that is asleep at the wheel. Looks like they may have punted the season already.
Maybe Management and Ownership simply don't give a shit and are happy to burn this season to the ground while Petey and Hughes have subpar performances. Makes bridge contracts cheaper, lands a lottery pick, dumps a contract in the expansion draft, and resets things for next year perhaps?

They can then use Green as their fall guy, and claim that they waited as long as they did because of Covid restrictions making it difficult to make an in-season coaching change. Blah blah blah.

Either way, there were passengers again in the 3rd period.

I also have to say that I have NEVER seen a team pass the puck around as much as Vancouver did in the final 2 minutes while trailing by 2 goals and the goalie out. Insane. Not only did there seem to be a lack of urgency, but there also seemed to be a lack of awareness as to the seconds remaining on the clock.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:42 pm Much improved effort tonight. A building block performance.

If they had come with the same effort in the 3rd as we saw in the 1st and 2nd periods, sure, I'd say building blocks.

They came out unprepared for the Leaves to push harder for a win. Mistakes piled up. It was a complete regression to the mean in terms of their play this season.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Meds wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:42 pm Much improved effort tonight. A building block performance.

If they had come with the same effort in the 3rd as we saw in the 1st and 2nd periods, sure, I'd say building blocks.

They came out unprepared for the Leaves to push harder for a win. Mistakes piled up. It was a complete regression to the mean in terms of their play this season.
Geez Meds. I'm trying to talk myself down from going into full riot mode and you're not helping matters any ;)
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm

What are the excuses?
Preseason ended after the 2nd game against OTT, in my eyes. Since then there's no excuses.

Never liked Travis. This is still the team that pulled a series win out of the hat against the Blues. Coach has to go.
Mostly. There are two key pieces missing.

But coaching simply has to be changed.

Not sure if anyone saw the way Travis looked when he walked off the bench at the horn. There was an air of "I have no more ideas" about him (insomuch as one can read that over the airwaves), and I'd wager he's simply waiting for the axe to fall at this point.

The only thing Benning can really come up with outside of firing the coaching staff is a bottom-6 trade to swap Virtanen for Bennett and hope it sparks something. Although I very much suspect that right now any player coming to Vancouver via trade is going to be wishing they were going anywhere else.
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

Yeah the passing the puck around for the perfect look that never comes.

Dumb it down, get some traffic to the net and hammer the fucking puck.

Virtanen is as dumb as stick out there. Hughes is getting abused in his own end. Try him with Schmidt for an extended period. Edler can play with Benn while Myers holds Olaf’s hand.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Meds wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:38 pm

Maybe Management and Ownership simply don't give a shit and are happy to burn this season to the ground while Petey and Hughes have subpar performances. Makes bridge contracts cheaper, lands a lottery pick, dumps a contract in the expansion draft, and resets things for next year perhaps?

They can then use Green as their fall guy, and claim that they waited as long as they did because of Covid restrictions making it difficult to make an in-season coaching change. Blah blah blah.

Either way, there were passengers again in the 3rd period.

I also have to say that I have NEVER seen a team pass the puck around as much as Vancouver did in the final 2 minutes while trailing by 2 goals and the goalie out. Insane. Not only did there seem to be a lack of urgency, but there also seemed to be a lack of awareness as to the seconds remaining on the clock.
They obviously haven't pulled out all the stops this season for many of the reasons you've mentioned. No fans in the building, Mr Aquilini miserable, cost saving measures everywhere.

I look at it like just I'm lucky to have some Canucks hockey games to watch for a few months this year.
el rey del mambo