GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 4 4:00PM Prrrrecisely! (SNeT)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 4 4:00PM Prrrrecisely! (SNeT)

Post by Per »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Markstrom is too good to let walk, probably the best goalie in the NHL right now, you don’t let that walk.
Picking Demko over Markström is playing the long game.

Two or three years down the line, I expect Demko to be better than Marx.
This season and next season, I'd rather have Markström.

By making that decision they were basically saying that they don't think they have the pieces for a run this year or next year, and instead they are aiming at building a younger core
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Per wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:03 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:29 pm
Markstrom is too good to let walk, probably the best goalie in the NHL right now, you don’t let that walk.
Picking Demko over Markström is playing the long game.

Two or three years down the line, I expect Demko to be better than Marx.
This season and next season, I'd rather have Markström.

By making that decision they were basically saying that they don't think they have the pieces for a run this year or next year, and instead they are aiming at building a younger core
I guess

In today’s sporting world the long game is bunk, overrated. The Sabres have been playing the long game for over a decade, the Senators seemingly are using the Sabres model. It doesn’t work like it used to. You need a good mix of kids, middle aged players and vets, it’s that simple
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

theman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:14 pm On the bright side to us playing like shit, at least we gave up the JT Miller 1st rounder already, so I think we have most of our picks this year and we prob can hold off on paying Petey & Huggy the fat superstar contracts. :P

if we're going to stink up the joint, I'm glad we're doing it now. I don't feel as invested this season as last. I'm still glad that the NHL came back last summer in the bubble and we got our playoff run then. The only downside is we would have wasted Petey & Huggy's ELC years if we miss the playoffs this season.
We have all of our picks for the next 3 drafts, except the 3rd rounder in 2022.
When you got Benning I imagine that cache will shrink as we move along towards those drafts
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm If we sign Markstrom 6x6we not only have him on the books past his expiry date we probably lose Demko. I'd love Tanev back but the term was suspect. The only one I really wanted back was TT and I wanted us to dump Virtanen. But in two years I would be clamouring for TT to be gone.

The drop off was inevitable but I didn't think they would look this bad. I mean they look bad.Not even close to looking not bad. They look like they have tuned out coaching. I have always supported Green but I think he has lost the team.
Their teammates don’t give a shit about age, contracts, expiry dates. The bottom line is JT Miller was outspoken with his disappointment of losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffol in fact pissed off about it, and sure looks like in Miller’s play this season he isn’t overjoyed. They lost 4 key character guys who were much loved by their teammates. I honestly feel the team is affected by it, it shows. How else can you explain this misery of a season. They are getting destroyed in their games, it’s embarrassingly bad. Fuck the term and age of players I can’t stand what I’m watching this year, it’s like 80’s Tony Tanti era Canucks
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:47 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm If we sign Markstrom 6x6we not only have him on the books past his expiry date we probably lose Demko. I'd love Tanev back but the term was suspect. The only one I really wanted back was TT and I wanted us to dump Virtanen. But in two years I would be clamouring for TT to be gone.

The drop off was inevitable but I didn't think they would look this bad. I mean they look bad.Not even close to looking not bad. They look like they have tuned out coaching. I have always supported Green but I think he has lost the team.
Their teammates don’t give a shit about age, contracts, expiry dates. The bottom line is JT Miller was outspoken with his disappointment of losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffol in fact pissed off about it, and sure looks like in Miller’s play this season he isn’t overjoyed. They lost 4 key character guys who were much loved by their teammates. I honestly feel the team is affected by it, it shows. How else can you explain this misery of a season. They are getting destroyed in their games, it’s embarrassingly bad. Fuck the term and age of players I can’t stand what I’m watching this year, it’s like 80’s Tony Tanti era Canucks
It's a fair point here, hate to say Doyle was right but he was, all those bad contracts (some marginally bad, some very bad) have come home to roost. To top it off, Benning became fixated on OEL to the detriment of his own FAs. Losing 1, maybe 2 would have been okay but we lost all 3 prized ones. Petey spoke about how he wanted Taffoli re-signed. Hughes spoke about how he wanted Tanev re-signed. Don't tell that they are pissed off right now with the way the off season played out. Replacing Green is really their only option at this point but it is not all on him either.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:39 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:14 pm On the bright side to us playing like shit, at least we gave up the JT Miller 1st rounder already, so I think we have most of our picks this year and we prob can hold off on paying Petey & Huggy the fat superstar contracts. :P

if we're going to stink up the joint, I'm glad we're doing it now. I don't feel as invested this season as last. I'm still glad that the NHL came back last summer in the bubble and we got our playoff run then. The only downside is we would have wasted Petey & Huggy's ELC years if we miss the playoffs this season.
When you got Benning I imagine that cache will shrink as we move along towards those drafts
I do worry about him doing this but at the same time the draft will be a crap shoot minus the very top end. As long as any 1st round pick is lotto protected, I would not be against a trade but it better be a Miller type of D man (youngish with term) coming back.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:39 am

You're pretty choked eh. Understandable but
..if you look at the big picture, the ability to consistently draft elite talent is worth its weight in gold.

Gold Cheffy

If I'm aquaboy I look at a new approach as far as management goes without losing Benning. Maybe what Doyle said, bring in a president who can keep some separation between ownership as well as hang onto Jimmys chequebook
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Heres a question, if the covid hadnt have dramatically altered the landscape, would Benning have been able to do whatever it takes to retain or release the players he wanted to?

If that answer is yes then he deserves a break. How the fuck can you anticipate that shit? I mean wasnt the cap scheduled to go up a few mill even?
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

theman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 am

It's a fair point here, hate to say Doyle was right but he was, all those bad contracts (some marginally bad, some very bad) have come home to roost. To top it off, Benning became fixated on OEL to the detriment of his own FAs. Losing 1, maybe 2 would have been okay but we lost all 3 prized ones. Petey spoke about how he wanted Taffoli re-signed. Hughes spoke about how he wanted Tanev re-signed. Don't tell that they are pissed off right now with the way the off season played out. Replacing Green is really their only option at this point but it is not all on him either.
If EP and QH are that effected because of players not signing then trade them, get some players that don't cry over little things. They are soft and show no heart if this impacts them that much. I know this isnt what you are implying or even going there but hearing how someone who left the team could impact how a player plays on the ice is ridiculous (on the players part).

But it is not just those 2 players, the entire freaking team is in bad sort and Green just does his JV in JV out, bench the grunts but NEVER EVER hold the vets accountable. Mayne benching JT or someone else for a period would send a better message. Maybe pulling a goalie after 3 goals is warranted. Green is a stubborn asshat who is fucking up this team.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

So don't freakin watch it! Just don't be so quick to pass judgment on why it looks the way it does. Turns out you aren't Captain Kirk. You are a Klingon
infiltrator. Trades happen all the time. JT Miller knows that FFS. Players always give high marks to departed team-mates.
In reality, this season means sweet nothing. There's no fans in the seats. Barely enough revenue to keep the Zambonies scraping.

When did the league announce the flat cap ????????????????????????????? Look back!

Benning cannot be happy with the silly way his coaching staff is struggling to enhance the play of the team. All three should be re-evaluated.

But, Hey, sure! Let's bring the drafting genius Mike Gillis back.
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Micky wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 am
So don't freakin watch it! Just don't be so quick to pass judgment on why it looks the way it does. Turns out you aren't Captain Kirk. You are a Klingon
infiltrator. Trades happen all the time. JT Miller knows that FFS. Players always give high marks to departed team-mates.
In reality, this season means sweet nothing. There's no fans in the seats. Barely enough revenue to keep the Zambonies scraping.

When did the league announce the flat cap ????????????????????????????? Look back!

Benning cannot be happy with the silly way his coaching staff is struggling to enhance the play of the team. All three should be re-evaluated.

But, Hey, sure! Let's bring the drafting genius Mike Gillis back.
Dude, you okay?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

2Fingers wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:11 am
theman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 am

If EP and QH are that effected because of players not signing then trade them, get some players that don't cry over little things. They are soft and show no heart if this impacts them that much.
Well said Fingers, hopefully these guys are more professional than that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 pm I didn’t like the term on Tanev or Jacob. But signing Jacob doesn’t mean they lose Demko. After his show in the post season he would have returned a late first or a good prospect.

Maybe they sign Marky to a five year deal at 7 per. He’s got 4 or 5 good years left. He has low miles for a 30 year old.
LMAO, then we'd have to listen to you scream bloody murder about that contract for years, umm no thanks!

Some folks can't handle a rebuild. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cookie La Rue wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am The whole defensive system, not just defenders, forwards too is falling around like a political discussion by Per.
8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:58 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 pm I didn’t like the term on Tanev or Jacob. But signing Jacob doesn’t mean they lose Demko. After his show in the post season he would have returned a late first or a good prospect.

Maybe they sign Marky to a five year deal at 7 per. He’s got 4 or 5 good years left. He has low miles for a 30 year old.
LMAO, then we'd have to listen to you scream bloody murder about that contract for years, umm no thanks!

Some folks can't handle a rebuild. :mex:
Mostly Tards like yourself. Have you forgiven the Chef yet?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”