GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 4 4:00PM Prrrrecisely! (SNeT)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Van vs TOR Feb 4 4:00PM Prrrrecisely! (SNeT)

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Per wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:03 am
By making that decision they were basically saying that they don't think they have the pieces for a run this year or next year, and instead they are aiming at building a younger core
I think that's a great strategy in principle, but I question the timing. "We're building for the future right now" isn't really consistent with trading away a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd round pick) for established players. Clearly in the not-too-distant past, the ownership-management group thought that they were building to a near-term peak. So, they either had to have been wrong at least one of those times, or their strategy is incoherent.

Benning is now the 11th longest tenured GM in the league, so the Canucks should be starting to reap the benefits of his long-term strategy.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:41 pm.

Benning is now the 11th longest tenured GM in the league, so the Canucks should be starting to reap the benefits of his long-term strategy.
Take a look at the roster for your proof. The team is working on calder candidate #4 with # 5 coming next year. The young core assets are premium pieces assembled without any lottery luck or high ranked picks.

This losing blip is not indicative of a failed program. This is more to do with a chemistry issue, a systems issue or an issue we are unaware of...NOT losing 2 long serving vets or a deadline acquisition who chose to walk.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Per wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:03 am
By making that decision they were basically saying that they don't think they have the pieces for a run this year or next year, and instead they are aiming at building a younger core
I think that's a great strategy in principle, but I question the timing. "We're building for the future right now" isn't really consistent with trading away a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd round pick) for established players. Clearly in the not-too-distant past, the ownership-management group thought that they were building to a near-term peak. So, they either had to have been wrong at least one of those times, or their strategy is incoherent.

Come on Cliffy, you're smarter than this. :scowl:

Covid-19 and the flat cap changed the plans and strategies of most teams...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:51 pm The young core assets are premium pieces assembled without any lottery luck or high ranked picks.
I'll grant you a lack of lottery luck, but Benning has had two 5th overalls, as well as a 6th, a 7th, and a 10th overall. What counts as a high-ranked pick in your books?
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:51 pm
This losing blip is not indicative of a failed program. This is more to do with a chemistry issue, a systems issue or an issue we are unaware of...NOT losing 2 long serving vets or a deadline acquisition who chose to walk.
Maybe, but I think Occam's Razor favours the theory I propounded in the News N Notes thread.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 pm
I would grant that it could affect minor considerations, but nothing so fundamental as whether they are in the competitive phase of the cycle, or still rebuilding.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 pm
I would grant that it could affect minor considerations, but nothing so fundamental as whether they are in the competitive phase of the cycle, or still rebuilding.
For a team that was just beginning to transition out of a rebuild??

"Come on man!" - Joe Biden

BTW maybe you should wait until my Vancouver Canucks are officially eliminated from the playoffs before you start gloating.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:14 pm

I would submit that just beginning to transition out of a rebuild is too early to be trading away first and second round draft picks for established players, but I'm not a hockey management genius. As ever, the relevant test is the product on the ice. Maybe Radagast is right and this is just a blip. We'll see.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Experience tells us that Mr Aquilini's next managerial partner will have the same long/short term goals as everyone that preceded him. To spend to the cap and try to make the playoffs every year and, failing that, to shine it up as some kind of a rebuild plan and try to hit a home run at the draft. I think Jimmy got the hang of the second part rather well.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:20 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:14 pm

I would submit that just beginning to transition out of a rebuild is too early to be trading away first and second round draft picks for established players
In this particular case I disagree.

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:20 pm , but I'm not a hockey management genius.
Exactly. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So.... who's gonna step up and create a GDT for today's (Feb 6) game?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:50 am So.... who's gonna step up and create a GDT for today's (Feb 6) game?
The Chef or Doyle. I cant recall either doing one before
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 am
Cornuck wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:50 am So.... who's gonna step up and create a GDT for today's (Feb 6) game?
The Chef or Doyle. I cant recall either doing one before
Chef and Doyle are too angry right now to run a GDT.

They ain't thinkin right!
____
Try to focus on someday.