GDT: Canucks @ Habs - Feb 2, 2021 - 4:00 - SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Habs - Feb 2, 2021 - 4:00 - SN

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 pm
Meds wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:24 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:22 pm Whoever decided there was no money for Toffoli...

Wonder what they think now?
Take away his games against Vancouver and he really regresses. LOL!
Would love to take away the games against Vancouver but that’s the point. Take away toffoli’s goals against the Canucks and what would the series against Montreal look like now?

How much is a playoff berth worth? What will toffoli’s 9 goals do to that playoff berth?
Did you post that before or after his backhander? HAHAHAAH!

All optics and hot hands against just us aside, Benning is looking like a moron for letting him walk thanks to these 5 games.

In all seriousness I'm not sure what you mean about his 9 goals? Based on just his goals alone, removing them from Montreal still sees the outcomes the same in every game except the first where Montreal wouldn't have gotten the loser point. The way we're playing he wouldn't have potted those goals for us. He's been highly opportunistic, taking advantage of our shitty coverage and unforced turnovers. Not taking anything away from him btw, that's good on him.
Last edited by Meds on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 pm
theman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:28 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:25 pm It would have been worth it to sign him, then Tonya Harding his leg and put him on LTIR.
That's what we need to do to Loui - cap problems are then a thing of the past.
Loui is only about 20 % of the problem. There’s four or five other losers draining the life out of this team.
Start with the one no one would miss.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Toffoli is amazing. Did not see this coming to the extent is has. Geesh.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Something will have to be done.... not sure what exactly but something does
To... Or not..
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Meds wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:31 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:22 pm Whoever decided there was no money for Toffoli...

Would love to take away the games against Vancouver but that’s the point. Take away toffoli’s goals against the Canucks and what would the series against Montreal look like now?

How much is a playoff berth worth? What will toffoli’s 9 goals do to that playoff berth?

All optics and hot hands against just us aside, Benning is looking like a moron for letting him walk thanks to these 5 games.
Precisely at the same time as I was typing, I had to change 8 to a 9 just before I pressed submit
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Too bad we don't have Tryamkin to crunch Toffoli.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

In all seriousness I'm not sure what you mean about his 9 goals? Based on just his goals alone, removing them from Montreal still sees the outcomes the same in every game except the first where Montreal wouldn't have gotten the loser point. The way we're playing he wouldn't have potted those goals for us. He's been highly opportunistic, taking advantage of our shitty coverage and unforced turnovers. Not taking anything away from him btw, that's good on him.
I like Toffoli, he’s paisan so he will enjoy Montreal if we are ever allowed to go to back to pre pandemic life.

But if I’m Benning, I would have signed toffoli and found the money elsewhere, end of story.

Hah maybe that’s why no one is willing to pay me to be a general manager!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:39 pm

I like Toffoli, he’s paisan so he will enjoy Montreal if we are ever allowed to go to back to pre pandemic life.

But if I’m Benning, I would have signed toffoli and found the money elsewhere, end of story.

Hah maybe that’s why no one is willing to pay me to be a general manager!
I think if Benning could have foreseen the season that Pettersson is having, and the way things are going for the team, maybe he gives TT that extra season or two, or whatever it was, to keep him here because right now there will be a bit more money to go around as Petey (and others) have taken a step back. Could still change, I know.

For the record I was in the camp that wanted Toffoli re-signed but also didn't think it was the end of the world to let him walk. How we lost all 3 of Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli, is mind boggling, and it definitely looks bad on Benning.

Obviously Covid was not something that could have been predicted, so every GM in the league gets a pass on its impact. But Benning is absolutely on the hook for the cap and term he gave to Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson. The latter being a decent signing, but absolutely should have been moved at almost any cost, even if that meant spending a draft pick or sullying Elmer's own reputation by waiving him long ago and parking him in Utica until he opened up his NTC to 30 teams.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Pretty sure that was the original plan. Picked him up before the world caved in. Then, he's unavailable for almost the whole playoffs.

It's become downright eerie now with his success against us.
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I understood the Canucks letting Markstrom go.

I understood the Canucks letting Tanev go, although I would have tried to keep him.

I could not understand letting Taffoli go, he Petey and Miller made a good line and allowed Boeser to play with Horvat. Just couldn't understand letting him walk.

If I have 1 real complaint about Benning, other than the horrible contracts from a few seasons ago, is that he seems unable to multitask, he seems to focus on 1 thing and neglects everything else until he is finished with that 1 thing. He seems focused so much on Eksom-Larsson letting up to Free Agency that he ignored his own top 3 FAs and let them all walk.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

:twisted: What's up with this knee-jerk response to Tiffoli? Lol

Ffs if our own players played the way they should play we won't be drooling over Tiffoli's 9 goal right now.

How many of those goals were literally given to him for free? Geez

Canucks' own failure against Montreal has to do with their own mistakes over and over again
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

ALIEN!!!!!!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Jeez, looks like Allen ducked on that shot.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:52 pm :twisted: What's up with this knee-jerk response to Tiffoli? Lol

Ffs if our own players played the way they should play we won't be drooling over Tiffoli's 9 goal right now.

How many of those goals were literally given to him for free? Geez

Canucks' own failure against Montreal has to do with their own mistakes over and over again
+1