GDT: Canucks @ Habs – Feb 1,2021 – 4:00 – SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Habs – Feb 1,2021 – 4:00 – SN

Post by Vin Tanner »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:18 pm Habs fans were laughing at Beagle still being in the league last game...
Theyre still laughing
You fell off your Beagle Wagon?
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:18 pm Habs fans were laughing at Beagle still being in the league last game...
Theyre still laughing
No. The Beag is fine as a 4C. Its all about the bench
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m really starting to think that Travis Green isn’t a very good coach. The team can loom extremely lost, disorganized, sloppy as a group. To me this is coaching. That and we are not a very fast team. Pearson and Sutter slow the forward group down, Horvat burns out half way through his shift, Boeser isn’t exactly nimble. Roussel skates hard but isn’t very effective. Edler and Benn are painfully slow. We need to get a whole lot faster
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm
Theyre still laughing
No. The Beag is fine as a 4C. Its all about the bench
I actually have no complaints about Beags. He’s a good skater, plays with some bite, he’s a perfect 4th line centre. Just makes too much money.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Theyre still laughing
No. The Beag is fine as a 4C.
Hell, our fourth line was probably our best line this game!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:45 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:35 pm TALK TO EM CARL! :thumbs:
Damn rights I will, Skyo!

There is an obvious weak link here. You just hold off on your trade proposals and rumours for a bit and let Carl fix this conundrum for y'all.

I'mma file a formal complaint to Orca Bay... this whale has washed up on shore and it stinks!
Oh my trades won't stop.

And sweet, be interesting to see what a new coach would implement - I know Gerard Gallant got the most of Nate Schmidt in Vegas avg 0.5pts per game, he's half that rn on the Canucks. 0.25

For a young growing team, having a players coach who has years of experience & getting the most out his squads (Panthers, Knights), would be primo for the young nucleus and the supporting cast. :thumbs:
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:57 pm
Theyre still laughing
No. The Beag is fine as a 4C.
Hell, our fourth line was probably our best line this game!
Absolutely. He wins draws, kills penalties and plays well against bigger centers. If it wasnt for his contract we wouldnt even discuss his merits.
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Plan the parade
Lowered expectations
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Well this team depends so much on Pettersson, Miller and Hughes and they didn't have their best to-nite. Boeser was so so. Horvat was so so.
Travis Green was completely out coached in every aspect of this game. Montreal was waiting for every breakout pass. Believe that's scouting your opponent. The defense had their worst collective effort to date.
Green runs plenty of drills and probably, more practices then most HNL coaches but not seeing that he alters much for the particular opponent we're playing. Yah, you can have a style unique to your team that's fine. But ya have to alter some of the tactics sometimes.
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

VAN -1-2 -EVEN: -Adam Gaudette (2) Wrist Shot-, assists: none- 08:36- 1st --- https://streamable.com/r6b4gx

VAN- 2-6 -EVEN: -Jay Beagle (1) Wrist Shot,- assists: Tyler Motte (1), -Alexander Edler (4) -11:49- 3rd ---https://streamable.com/zr54j4

Team-- Shots-- Hits-- Power Play-- Face offs
VAN----- 29---- 30--- ----0/3------------49.1%
MTL -----40 ----26-- -----1/3------------50.9%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake taking a hit then giving one back --- https://streamable.com/egc6zf I don't think he won. very small fist pump for the effort.

Doesn't look like the coach has their attention. Not for the lack of yelling though --- https://streamable.com/wl4w82 --- deaf ears? I wonder..

"evolution"
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

PAC B can’t help himself. Beagle is a good strong skater but Horvat tires out halfway through his shift.

Worst take ever. Beagle is a fucking slug. :lol:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pm I’m really starting to think that Travis Green isn’t a very good coach. The team can loom extremely lost, disorganized, sloppy as a group. To me this is coaching. That and we are not a very fast team. Pearson and Sutter slow the forward group down, Horvat burns out half way through his shift, Boeser isn’t exactly nimble. Roussel skates hard but isn’t very effective. Edler and Benn are painfully slow. We need to get a whole lot faster
I agree with you Chef. It's not a fast team. This team's skating isn't fast... and they sure don't have the overall team skill to the move the puck fast, accurately and consistently tape to tape. Traditional breakouts are hit and miss.

So, I can understand why Green has his long-bomb approach. When it works, you are out of your zone and into the other's in a hurry. It looks "fast", but they don't enter with possession that way. They also don't recover enough to play in the other end more often.

When it doesn't work, every line becomes a shitshow. They burn themselves out chasing. Success is being able to get off the ice without getting scored on. It's not that they deliberately sit back, it's that they can't handle the pressure and are just trying to hang on.
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:20 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pm I’m really starting to think that Travis Green isn’t a very good coach. The team can loom extremely lost, disorganized, sloppy as a group. To me this is coaching. That and we are not a very fast team. Pearson and Sutter slow the forward group down, Horvat burns out half way through his shift, Boeser isn’t exactly nimble. Roussel skates hard but isn’t very effective. Edler and Benn are painfully slow. We need to get a whole lot faster
I agree with you Chef. It's not a fast team. This team's skating isn't fast... and they sure don't have the overall team skill to the move the puck fast, accurately and consistently tape to tape. Traditional breakouts are hit and miss.

So, I can understand why Green has his long-bomb approach. When it works, you are out of your zone and into the other's in a hurry. It looks "fast", but they don't enter with possession that way. They also don't recover enough to play in the other end more often.

When it doesn't work, every line becomes a shitshow. They burn themselves out chasing. Success is being able to get off the ice without getting scored on. It's not that they deliberately sit back, it's that they can't handle the pressure and are just trying to hang on.
Shoulders always smells what the Chef is cooking. Meanwhile, Doyle is cooking up some rock in the attic above his garage
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP

Post by Vin Tanner »

The team is slow to be sure. Something I’ve said for years. Bout time you caught up.

But to bag on Horvat about his skating/fitness when he eats the toughest minutes out of any forward on the team and plays well in these minutes is just a bored, fat, balding troll with too much time on his hands. To single out Jay Beagle as some great skater in his next post is proof his eyes are damaged or he doesn’t watch the team play.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Yes, I am sure that Travis Green teaches things like, “JT, flood a not dangerous part of the ice so that your man can walk into the low slot unobstructed” or “JT and Quinn, makes sure when the puck trickles behind your net you stand as close to one another as possible, eyes on the puck and don’t bother with picking up a man” or “Jalen, it’s imperative that you skate right towards your defense partner when looking to exit the zone,” or “JT, if there’s a turnover, why don’t you coast back even when it’s clear that if you don’t get on your horse there will be an odd man rush — I mean they could shoot wide and then you know I love the bomb pass, so you’ll be closer to Price” or “Adam, it’s totally cool to be pretty close to the d man on the drop pass and make sure to keep one hand on the stick” or “Braden, please, make sure to not only lose your net when the puck goes across the ice on the P.K., but please also be totally off balance” etc....

This game was marred by individual mistakes. It isn’t systems, it is fundamentals — which sure a coach can modestly influence by making sure he doesn’t waste too much time in practice on systems..... the only system that looked off was the PP. It was not terrible at generating chances, but it wasn’t good. Canucks players must counter the overly aggressive penalty killers by remembering they don’t need to stand still. Change the lanes, they will open.

Holtby was so very clearly off tonight, Green’s in game performance tonight will be judged by Demko’s sharpness. Not yanking Holtby was a decision influenced by the back to back—which is reasonable. Otherwise, Demko should have started the second.

Green’s lineup response should be to sit Chatfield and possibly start Miller down the lineup for a bit. I don’t think benching the vet is smart, but I think something like “we need you to be responsible for this line” might help.
Hono_rary Canadian