GDT: Canucks @ Habs – Feb 1,2021 – 4:00 – SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Habs – Feb 1,2021 – 4:00 – SN

Post by Micky »

Topper wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:32 pm Where was the 2nd period fight to show that at least someone on the bench had a pulse?
No one heard the bell ring.
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Hear from Gaudette, Schmidt and Holtby, followed by Coach Green...post game interviews. 25:27 minutes.
Nate Schmidt: The onus is mainly on us. We're skating ourselves into tough positions. You have to make better plays with the puck when you're in those high danger areas.
I've been blessed to play on a lot of pretty good teams in this league. Teams that won a lot of games. If you come into a game thinking you can wheel and deal and make plays everywhere, this league will humble you quickly.
Adam Gaudette on his turnover on the Lehkonen goal: I just fumbled it. I wasn't trying to toe drag anyone last guy back.
Braden Holtby: If you look at that trend, it's a little less about us figuring out our game and more about us playing the Canadiens. In order for us to get where we want to go, we have to believe we're the better team.
This game is about chances. It's about quality. So shot quantity is a pretty useless stat.
Travis Green: They're quick, they get on you fast. But as a player, you know it's coming. You have to be ready for it.
On the Lotto Line: When you're -3 and you turn the puck over a couple of times, I'm not going to sit here and try to defend their play.
Games like tonight probably frustrate me more than others, because I thought, as good of a team as they are, we shot ourselves in the foot again. That can drive you crazy.
Brendan Batchelor; Sportsnet 650am
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Micky wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:59 am .
Hear from Gaudette, Schmidt and Holtby, followed by Coach Green...post game interviews. 25:27 minutes.
Nate Schmidt: The onus is mainly on us. We're skating ourselves into tough positions. You have to make better plays with the puck when you're in those high danger areas.
I've been blessed to play on a lot of pretty good teams in this league. Teams that won a lot of games. If you come into a game thinking you can wheel and deal and make plays everywhere, this league will humble you quickly.
i.e., WTF, Jalen/Adam (skate into tough positions)/Lotto Line (love your creativity, but know the situation).
Adam Gaudette on his turnover on the Lehkonen goal: I just fumbled it. I wasn't trying to toe drag anyone last guy back.
You were casually off balance and too close to Schmidt to begin with.
Braden Holtby: If you look at that trend, it's a little less about us figuring out our game and more about us playing the Canadiens. In order for us to get where we want to go, we have to believe we're the better team.
This game is about chances. It's about quality. So shot quantity is a pretty useless stat.
Don't blame the goalie when every shot is from a dangerous place.

(What he should say when casting aspersions and playing quite a pedestrian game himself: "We aren't going to have our A game every night. I've got to find a way to stop pucks when we are fighting it, tonight I didn't do that.")
Travis Green: They're quick, they get on you fast. But as a player, you know it's coming. You have to be ready for it.
On the Lotto Line: When you're -3 and you turn the puck over a couple of times, I'm not going to sit here and try to defend their play.
Games like tonight probably frustrate me more than others, because I thought, as good of a team as they are, we shot ourselves in the foot again. That can drive you crazy.

Sure they are good. But we are good too, and we can beat them. But not if we make so many unforced errors. Then we are only beating ourselves.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:23 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:55 pm Mtl rides our D out of every play while our forwards are lost in space up ice praying for a head man pass. How the hell did they not spend a few minutes drawing up a game plan to counter a persistent forecheck? They pressure the blue line constantly and ride the opposition D out of every play opening up the 2nd wave. Every. Fucking. Play.

This team is primed for a coaching change
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The system is for the wingers to bolt for the long bomb pass as soon as it even looks like the D will get possession. This is what Green refers to as playing "fast".

Even if they do fire it up to them, it's only going to be tipped in for the other 2 forwards to chase with speed. But our forecheck sucks and there isn't the consistent pressure and O Zone time.

If they don't get it up to them... well the wingers are caught in the neutral zone and we get cycled to death. Rinse & repeat.

This is exactly like beer league. I play D and I fuckin' hate the lazy forwards who bust up ice screaming for a breakaway while we are under pressure from the other team. I can't make that pass from behind our own net through 5 guys while you're cherry-picking at the other blueline, you dipshits.
How do you counter a 2 man forecheck?

Stretch pass.

But agree, you do not need both wingers to bolt, but you do need one forward moving with speed and power. Hossa and the Blackhawks used it effectively against the Canucks in days of yore.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Everyone stays back except one designated Cherry Picker.
Last man back never handles the puck. Any pressure he ices the puck and the team resets.
Other two forwards loop back and pick up the puck with speed.
If they do all these things they increase their odds of winning to 30%
We are all Jim Benning.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm I wonder if Romanov has any royal blood in him? I do know he is half Tatar; his grandfather is ex Red Army player Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.

Could Tomas Tatar possibly be Tatar as well...
Yeah... in a comical fashion, Russians at some point came up with the idea of letting kids with a ”father unknown” status get the last name Romanov. The idea was that if the father could be just anyone, let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt and assume he is royal... :look:

Thus the name Romanov is more often a hint of a troubled background than a blue blooded one. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:51 am
Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:23 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:55 pm Mtl rides our D out of every play while our forwards are lost in space up ice praying for a head man pass. How the hell did they not spend a few minutes drawing up a game plan to counter a persistent forecheck? They pressure the blue line constantly and ride the opposition D out of every play opening up the 2nd wave. Every. Fucking. Play.

This team is primed for a coaching change
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The system is for the wingers to bolt for the long bomb pass as soon as it even looks like the D will get possession. This is what Green refers to as playing "fast".

Even if they do fire it up to them, it's only going to be tipped in for the other 2 forwards to chase with speed. But our forecheck sucks and there isn't the consistent pressure and O Zone time.

If they don't get it up to them... well the wingers are caught in the neutral zone and we get cycled to death. Rinse & repeat.

This is exactly like beer league. I play D and I fuckin' hate the lazy forwards who bust up ice screaming for a breakaway while we are under pressure from the other team. I can't make that pass from behind our own net through 5 guys while you're cherry-picking at the other blueline, you dipshits.
How do you counter a 2 man forecheck?

Stretch pass.

But agree, you do not need both wingers to bolt, but you do need one forward moving with speed and power. Hossa and the Blackhawks used it effectively against the Canucks in days of yore.
Very true. I did say elsewhere Green chooses this system likely due to the personnel.

It fails often because we don't have the D who can quickly recognize pressure, get away from it and make that stretch pass consistently.

Those Blackhawks of yore were incredibly deep and talented. Great rivalry when we were the same.
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Per wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:38 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm I wonder if Romanov has any royal blood in him? I do know he is half Tatar; his grandfather is ex Red Army player Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.

Yeah... in a comical fashion, Russians at some point came up with the idea of letting kids with a ”father unknown” status get the last name Romanov. The idea was that if the father could be just anyone, let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt and assume he is royal... :look:

Thus the name Romanov is more often a hint of a troubled background than a blue blooded one. :|
Well damn.

I guess probably not then eh :)
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:38 pm

So he's a royal bastard. :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

More middling frog scrubbery!
If you need air...call it in