GDT: Canucks @ Jets – Jan 30,2021 – 7:00 – SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Jets – Jan 30,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dangler wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:48 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 pm Sam Bennett requests a trade. Virtanen for Bennett?
Why not? Both guys make about the same. Neither is living up to expectations.
Not Calgary, if Jake gets traded make it somewhere far away.
Canuck-luck will have Jake lighting it up in Calgary as he finally figures it out.
Hes another Leivo. Good comparable actually.

Neither will do fuck all more than the odd surprising corner picking shot followed by long periods of disengagement. Id risk it
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Per wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:50 am Demko is getting there, which is great!
He had me worried the first few games, but the last three he has been solid.
If he can keep this up, letting Markström go was probably the right thing to do.

Höglander is a pleasant surprise! He has always had a lot of guts and attitude and doesn’t mind going into traffic, plus he always does unexpected things, but I thought it eas too early for him to make this leap. Apparantly not.

But Micky, he’s not from the Swedish 2nd tier league. He has played two full seasons, plus the beginningof this one in the SHL, nut in 114 games he has only amounted to a total of 44 points (21G 23A), and usually ppg production drops like 50% the first season in the NHL. That being said he won the Goal of the Year award twice! :lol:
He has always been a highlight reels kind of guy. 8-)

This is the one from last season:
Per, you lost me at Rodin but it’s nice to see you finally coming around to the Hoagie
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Per is adjusting to life after TDS. Its a long process and with our help he'll get there eventually
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 pm Sam Bennett requests a trade. Virtanen for Bennett?
Canuck-luck will have Jake lighting it up in Calgary as he finally figures it out.
Had the exact same thought last night when I saw that deal suggested.

Bennett might be worth the gamble tho. There’s more to give there, just like Jake, and Bennett shows up in the playoffs.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

So does Demko get the start in MTL? Has he managed to win the starters job?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:56 am

Bennett might be worth the gamble tho. There’s more to give there, just like Jake, and Bennett shows up in the playoffs.
It would have to be a hell of a lot better player then Bennet for me to take the risk, makes me think of the failed Gagner experiment
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dangler wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:46 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:56 am

It would have to be a hell of a lot better player then Bennet for me to take the risk, makes me think of the failed Gagner experiment
I dunno. If I recall Gagner signed as a free agent, so he came in for nothing but was a waste of free cap.

Jake and Bennett are the same age and have the same AAV. Jake has one more year though. If the deal were made asap then it's not such a big risk in terms of failed experiments. I mean at what point do we have to finally consider Jake a failed experiment?

The team might actually get a boost from the trade too, I mean you get someone who actually goes to the dirty areas, and does everything that people wish Jake would do. Bennett just doesn't have the same speed or shot. But in terms of being an addition to the bottom-6, I'd say he fits the part better.

What about Virtanen and Roussel for Bennett and Ryan? Salaries are a wash. We get out from under Roussel's contract a year sooner. Bennett replaces Roussel, in the bottom-6. Hoglander has already supplanted Virtanen in the top-6. I don't think Jake would be missed unless the trade lit a fire under him and he turned into a 55-60 point top-6 winger.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments:

Jets looked like early season Vancouver missing 1st line winger.

Vancouver changed up their offence (just as a top flight CC poster noticed the need to do so) and went to the wings moving the puck more and working the cycle for a possession game opposed to the static diamond that allowed the opposition to pressure the points and cherry pick the cross ice passes at the blueline for odd man rushes.

bauble's whine of Vancouver's fourth line hemmed in by Jets 1st line needs more cheese.

The Chatfield experiment is getting stale, Ju is better at moving the puck up ice with a long pass.

The thing with Meyers "public skate" looping around the offensive zone, is it is the same as the WCE and Mason Raymond were infamous for. They are on their backhand the entire way and no real threat so their is little point for defenders pressuring them. Let them skate circles and take away their passing lanes.

Having Green means not depleting the o-zone time.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:12 am
Vancouver changed up their offence (just as a top flight CC poster noticed the need to do so) and went to the wings moving the puck more and working the cycle for a possession game opposed to the static diamond that allowed the opposition to pressure the points and cherry pick the cross ice passes at the blueline for odd man rushes.
Thank gawd for adjustments. It was like a different team out there. It also gave QH much more space to do his thing once the full time pressure was removed from the points.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

bauble's whine of Vancouver's fourth line hemmed in by Jets 1st line needs more cheese.

The Chatfield experiment is getting stale, Juolevi is better at moving the puck up ice with a long pass.

Poor takes.

The reason Winnipeg outshot Vancouver in the first was because Beagle and his cronies got hemmed in again like they do most nights playing against even a decent line. Green wisely (for once) tried to get away from matching them up against Scheifele the last two periods and Bo’s line neutered them. Bo’s line IS the matchup line and eats most of the tough minutes. Bit of a waste of talent considering both Beagle and Sutter were brought in to play hard minutes but just aren’t up for it.

Chatfield can skate. He handles the puck like a grenade and I’ll agree Olli is better at that and probably moving it up ice. But Chatlfield doesn’t get turnstiled and keeps his man to the outside because he has quick feet. Olli moves like a glacier out there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:11 pm

The Chatfield experiment is getting stale, Juolevi is better at moving the puck up ice with a long pass.

Poor takes.

The reason Winnipeg outshot Vancouver in the first was because Beagle and his cronies got hemmed in again like they do most nights playing against even a decent line. Green wisely (for once) tried to get away from matching them up against Scheifele the last two periods and Bo’s line neutered them. Bo’s line IS the matchup line and eats most of the tough minutes. Bit of a waste of talent considering both Beagle and Sutter were brought in to play hard minutes but just aren’t up for it.

Chatfield can skate. He handles the puck like a grenade and I’ll agree Olli is better at that and probably moving it up ice. But Chatlfield doesn’t get turnstiled and keeps his man to the outside because he has quick feet. Olli moves like a glacier out there.
Furthermore, Green probably wants as many RH shots as he can get in the lineup, especially on D. All your training on the the ice with the fat anthem singer didn’t help you much. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Juolevi & Chatfield have both looked decent. Nice to see some D prospects finally taking the next step.
Weather they are everyday NHL'ers or not will have to be determined at a later date.
If Green doesn't manage Edlers minutes better they will be badly needed