GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Raging Fury
MVP
MVP
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Back in Van

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Raging Fury »

Good, the boys did what is needed, take all the points from the Sens.

Petey is getting back on track, the Hog has been a pleasant surprise, both goalies are getting into the grove. Good stuff.

Defensive coverage still needs work though. Good thing it's the Sens. We'll not be so lucky if we consistently play poor D against better teams.

This boost of confidence may just be the springboard to a decent season.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by rats19 »

theman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:33 pm
theman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 am I will say 4 - 1 for Canucks tonight with another big game from Lotto line.

I assume Holtby is starting tonight and we will see some more rotation on D.
Shite, I should but lotto tickets for tomorrow
+1

And also a shoutout to the doctor I was hoping that day before the game day thread didn’t voodoo anything but we okay
To... Or not..
User avatar
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 am
Location: North Shore

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

theman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:33 pm
theman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 am I will say 4 - 1 for Canucks tonight with another big game from Lotto line.

I assume Holtby is starting tonight and we will see some more rotation on D.
Shite, I should but lotto tickets for tomorrow
You the man theman :lol:
el rey del mambo
User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7086
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Per »

Good to have the lotto line going.

Let’s hope they can keep this up against teams not from Ottawa as well.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15801
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Micky »

VAN- 0-1 -PPG: -Brock Boeser (5) Wrist Shot,- assists: J.T. Miller (7),- Quinn Hughes (9)- 05:30- 1st---https://streamable.com/6vz4n6

VAN -0-2- EVEN:- Elias Pettersson (3) Snap Shot,- assists: Brock Boeser (3), -Quinn Hughes (10) -10:49- 1st---https://streamable.com/e77loj

VAN- 0-3 -EVEN:- Brock Boeser (6) Snap Shot, -assists: Elias Pettersson (3),- Braden Holtby -(1) -04:32 -2nd ---https://streamable.com/f5igla

VAN -1-4 -EVEN: Tanner Pearson (2) Wrist Shot, -assists: Nils Hoglander (3) -01:47 -3rd --- https://streamable.com/062dzj

Team/ Shots/ Hits/ Power Play/ Face offs
OTT ----36 -----36 ------0/5 -------45.5%
VAN ----25 -----22 ------1/4 -------54.5%

"evolution"
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 15801
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Micky »

Gaudette preparing with some Pavel II supplement. --- https://streamable.com/03io80

Holtby after watching his assist on a goal --- https://streamable.com/2sfdrg

Almost identical saves, one right after another --- https://streamable.com/xcc5gc

Chatfield roughing up Brady --- https://streamable.com/aofqsy

Gaudette the goallie --- https://streamable.com/c01h7u

Brady Tkachuk and MacEwen with a decent tilt --- https://streamable.com/txlmyh
Beagle mouthing off from the bench.
Might have heard Nate Schmidt in the back-ground.

Post-game interviews
"evolution"
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14828
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doc you didnt fire up the next GDT

Oh NOOOO's!

I see nobody got too excited about beating the league doormats.

The defensive structure is still garbage, the sens had stretches of prolonged pressure in the canucks end.

Hemming hemming hemming. Years of this rubbish.

You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?

What is the foundational fuck up that allows any and every team to sustain pressure in the canucks zone year in, year out like that?
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3315
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am
You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?
Missed the game, just watched the highlights - man, am I glad Boeser gets to live in Matt Murray's head for 7 games this season!- :lol:

Looking at the ice time, something is up with Schmidt. He must be nursing an injury or something.

I thought there was something messed up about the way he looks playing on his off-wing. I know Schmidt prefers it, but he's bobbling the puck almost every time he touches it in the d zone, which contributes to them getting hemmed in.

It was the same with Benn - could supposedly play better on his off wing, but looked terrible there as a Canuck.

Maybe that's a systems thing?
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am
You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?
Missed the game, just watched the highlights - man, am I glad Boeser gets to live in Matt Murray's head for 7 games this season!- :lol:

Looking at the ice time, something is up with Schmidt. He must be nursing an injury or something.

I thought there was something messed up about the way he looks playing on his off-wing. I know Schmidt prefers it, but he's bobbling the puck almost every time he touches it in the d zone, which contributes to them getting hemmed in.

It was the same with Benn - could supposedly play better on his off wing, but looked terrible there as a Canuck.

Maybe that's a systems thing?
Maybe everything is.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14828
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Meds wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am
You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?
Missed the game, just watched the highlights - man, am I glad Boeser gets to live in Matt Murray's head for 7 games this season!- :lol:

Looking at the ice time, something is up with Schmidt. He must be nursing an injury or something.

I thought there was something messed up about the way he looks playing on his off-wing. I know Schmidt prefers it, but he's bobbling the puck almost every time he touches it in the d zone, which contributes to them getting hemmed in.

It was the same with Benn - could supposedly play better on his off wing, but looked terrible there as a Canuck.

Maybe that's a systems thing?
Maybe everything is.
I know it seems odd to harshly criticize the team/coaching after winning 3 and on the heels of playoff overachievement but in every one of the wins last summer and continuing now, teams have hemmed this canucks team in.

Teams know the canucks are soft on the walls and use that weakeness to generate sustained pressure. It wears down everyone.

I think a fresh look is necessary next summer if we want our team to take the next step into a legit contender
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12653
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Topper »

Three crappy games against a crappy opponent. The games looked slightly more physical than the inter-squad games at training camp, but not much else was different.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 am
Meds wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am
You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?
Missed the game, just watched the highlights - man, am I glad Boeser gets to live in Matt Murray's head for 7 games this season!- :lol:

Looking at the ice time, something is up with Schmidt. He must be nursing an injury or something.

I thought there was something messed up about the way he looks playing on his off-wing. I know Schmidt prefers it, but he's bobbling the puck almost every time he touches it in the d zone, which contributes to them getting hemmed in.

It was the same with Benn - could supposedly play better on his off wing, but looked terrible there as a Canuck.

Maybe that's a systems thing?
Maybe everything is.
I know it seems odd to harshly criticize the team/coaching after winning 3 and on the heels of playoff overachievement but in every one of the wins last summer and continuing now, teams have hemmed this canucks team in.

Teams know the canucks are soft on the walls and use that weakeness to generate sustained pressure. It wears down everyone.

I think a fresh look is necessary next summer if we want our team to take the next step into a legit contender
Nah. It isn't odd.....unless it's odd because it is less common these days for fans to stay unhappy with a team and/or its coach after they have outscored and opponent 16-3 over 3 games. If this was Tunatown we'd be planning the parade and nominating HOF inductees. Instead we are not discounting the fact that we basically just ran roughshod over a team with about 4 or 5 NHL players and 15 or so AHL'ers.....and we still didn't outright dominate them. Despite the scoreboard our goaltenders had to be very sharp at times, and it was only the AHL-ness of our opponent that prevented them from capitalizing on multiple chances, chances they didn't earn but that we gave them.

With the exception of 2 forwards and the lack of at least one more quality defenseman (which can be attributed to some poor cap management) the Canucks current problem is not the quality of personnel on the ice. It's the execution by those personnel OR it's the what they are being told to do.
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 22248
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Vin Tanner »

Those of us who caught onto the Erik Gudbranson show 20 or 30 games into his career as a Canuck should feel vindicated. Some folks thought he was an effective player right up until the day he was dealt to the Penguins. Hell I thought he was a real option as a legit top 4 defender when they traded for him. Fuck was I ever wrong. I at least owned I was wrong. The guy is a shitty player. The dude is a pylon... period. He’s a 6/7 worth about a million bucks, kinda like Luca Sbisa. Another klown signed to an abhorrent deal under this administration. Sbisa is also a bottom pairing/ extra guy who should be and finally is (after his retarded deal expired) around the million dollar mark for salary, once he was judged competently.

Thank god management has learned to financially quantify these fringe scrubs (like Fantenberg, Hamonic) into the salary range where they belong.

Kudos to Elmer :)
We wan out of da time- James Elmer Benning
Curmudgeon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Curmudgeon »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am Doc you didnt fire up the next GDT

Oh NOOOO's!

I see nobody got too excited about beating the league doormats.

The defensive structure is still garbage, the sens had stretches of prolonged pressure in the canucks end.

Hemming hemming hemming. Years of this rubbish.

You cant even target the personnel either as we added one of the better 2 way dmen in the league but he looks just as fucked as the rest of them. What the hell are Green and Bumgartner doing?

What is the foundational fuck up that allows any and every team to sustain pressure in the canucks zone year in, year out like that?
Tough to get excited when they allow 36, 43, and 37 shots in the three games and are outshot in each with, as you say, longer than acceptable stretches of prolonged pressure in the Canucks end. Good goaltending propped them up but it will be tough to keep that up on this trip. They need to tighten up and cut way back on the shots.

Markstrom 5GP 2-2-1 record .911 SP on 146 SA 2.62 GAA
Demko 5GP 2-3-0 record .909 SP on 198 SA 3.65 GAA

Demko has faced almost 40 shots per game and has averaged 10 shots more per game than Markstrom.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 29855
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: GDT: Sens @ Canucks – Jan 28,2021 – 7:00 – SN

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:34 pm And also a shoutout to the doctor I was hoping that day before the game day thread didn’t voodoo anything but we okay
Het Ratatatat... All 3 GDTs vs Sens were put up the evening before the game. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Post Reply