GDT: R2/G7 Sep 4 Vancouver - Vegas 6:00 Snet - Game Seven!

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R2/G7 Sep 4 Vancouver - Vegas 6:00 Snet - Game Seven!

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:19 am
Nuckertuzzi wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 am
Per wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:17 am Then the Demigod stepped up against Vegas when needed. Three amazing games by him.
But is he ready to do that for a full season?

As we know with Marky it takes a long time for goalies to develop. Seems like we've been developing Demko for eternity, yet he's only just beginning at the tender age of 24. It's a damn shame we couldn't keep this thing going just so he can continue to build his confidence to ready himself for a bigger role. If 3 games is enough to tell us he's ready then what better 3 games can you ask for, but it is still only 3 games and that's a little too scary to base important decisions with your goaltending on.

I think the only thing those 3 games changes is the threshold for Marky's contract demands, but I agree we're not at the point where we can hand over the car keys to Demko just yet.

Thank god this happened though just to eliminate any thought of trading Demko in the offseason as some have suggested. Can you imagine if we did that and he turns into the next great tender for some other team? Nope, can't have him he's ours.
I’m not ready to kick Jacob to the curb just yet but listening to the rumour mill it sounds he is going to want well over 6 million per and he will have no shortage of teams willing to give that to him. With the Canucks cap situation in its current mess, I have no idea how they’d be able to pay him.
Ya thats gonna be tough to justify given how well the kid played. Either way he goes Benning is fucked..

He might have to try and leverage Marky into a contract with zero trade protection then move him before the seagulls come jewing
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Or...the isles have a gaping hole in net and a mountain of top tier defensemen. A striaght up Demko for any one of their top 4 D or Dobson would ease the sting of having to move him
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Why would Markstrom accept a contract without trade protection?

The Islanders goaltending is fine. It’s not great but it’s decent.

You aren’t getting Dobson for Demko. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:30 am Why would Markstrom accept a contract without trade protection?

They arent happy with varly on long island and its not a given they wouldnt make that move. If it was Milbury I'd feel better about the chances though
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Who is “they”?

Lou would never make that trade. Full stop.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:24 am Or...the isles have a gaping hole in net and a mountain of top tier defensemen. A striaght up Demko for any one of their top 4 D or Dobson would ease the sting of having to move him
I know it's a VERY small sample size.....BUT

Markstrom has not done what Demko just done.

2 goals against in 3 games on 130 shots.....all of them elimination games.

I'd hate to be in Benning's shoes right now. If he were to move Demko, even for a ridiculously good return, and Demko pans out and turns into an elite franchise goaltender, then Elmer would be crucified. If he moves Markstrom and Demko proves to be a flash in the pan or extremely injury prone, then Elmer will be stoned.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:30 am Why would Markstrom accept a contract without trade protection?

There are some really, really, really, stupid GM's out there who would jump all over Demko, and likely overpay badly after what he just did.

Lou isn't one of them though, and the FA goalie market is going to be interesting as there are quite a few available.

So if you want Benning to give anyone the McPhee treatment you'll have to find the dumbest of the bunch.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:37 am Who is “they”?

Lou would never make that trade. Full stop.
More of a rolling stop if they lose game 7 like they have lost the last 2 then who knows. Bad goaltending.

They were looking at a trade involving a defenseman last summer so i can see them using their strengths to shore up their weaknesses cant you?

They need scoring and a goalie. Demko just announced his arrival and the canucks need a defenseman or 2. I can see something happening but it being Dobson is less likely than say an Adam Pelech....who would fit into this group like a glove
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 am

There are some really, really, really, stupid GM's out there who would jump all over Demko, and likely overpay badly after what he just did.

Lou isn't one of them though, and the FA goalie market is going to be interesting as there are quite a few available.

So if you want Benning to give anyone the McPhee treatment you'll have to find the dumbest of the bunch.
This summer wont be the summer of trades. Lots of excellent UFAs and a flat cap. Not a great time to try and win a trade.

My money is on Benning re-signing JM then figuring out what to do later
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

GENIUS

A couple of us saw this coming and are not shocked nor surprised by the performance of the Canucks this post season.

Maybe even a tad disappointed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:52 am GENIUS
Ok Tops...give us your take on this groups first playoff run.

Thoughts on the Persons and Toffolis especially and what the team should do with the UFAs and the vets who didnt play all that well
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:50 pm Way too passive of an approach, but when half your forwards are slower than fuck.....Green did the best he could with what he had. Great battle level, but not enough girth up top. It’s fascinating that the series got to seven games.
Skating is definitely a challenge for some of the players but the bigger one for me is speed of decision making and moving the puck. The puck can move faster than anyone can skate. But christ even our best in that department were having huge difficulty with that incredibly stifling environment Vegas creates in all three zones. It's relentless and a total team effort by the Knights. I can't recall too many times I've seen a team utterly dominated for 60 minutes like the Canucks were last night - and that's saying something after watching games 5 and 6. It was like the Washington Generals.
Someone here mentioned passive play, it wasn't that. It was a complete lack of opportunity to do anything other than defend. Was it Bieksa or Hrudey that highlighted it last night - when they finally get the puck out enough to get a change, Vegas is back in control and the next line is hemmed in their own end again. No wonder they looked gassed and like they were skating in sand until the last 2 minutes of the game. Way more energy expended in your own end.
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:50 pm Travis ultimately did a pretty good job. So did the team. They gave us all a chance to get fired up. Kudos.
Well he proved he's better than ol' Willy. Like some of his adjustments, he showed he doesn't have a completely unwavering attachment to vets (Ie. he actually sat, inserted and then yanked again useless Loui). But for me the jury is still out on him. He's got more to learn and will get a chance to do so. Bit frustrating that once again the coaching staff didn't have any answers when the PP went stone cold. You cannot waste a 5min major in game 7 with nothing but one shot to show for it.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:55 am
Ok Tops...give us your take on this groups first playoff run.

Thoughts on the Persons and Toffolis especially and what the team should do with the UFAs and the vets who didnt play all that well
Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch a game since middle of the StLou series, so I can't comment on individual players. I will say, that the shot differencial and being shutout in 3 of their last 4 losses is not good. Two major things to work on.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

A couple of us saw this coming and are not shocked nor surprised by the performance of the Canucks this post season.

Maybe even a tad disappointed.
The playoff run doesn’t happen without both Hughes and Pettersson.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You’re a beaut McCrotchety - try the other way around - the Isles ain’t getting Demko for Dobson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau