GDT: Canucks vs Blues. Game 4, 7:30 PM SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

GDT: Canucks vs Blues. Game 4, 7:30 PM SN

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sorry Rats. You're a loser!! Like what, only 5 in a row. Well let's see if I can beat that.

Most important game of the series tonight. Le'ts see how we respond when all the momentum is in the Blues favour. Line ups......later
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Blues. Game 4, 7:30 PM SN

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It would be a fine time to have Toffoli supplant Boeser on that top line right about now.
If you need air...call it in
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Please play well. That is all.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Wonder if Travis will stay pat or Maybe we see Gaudette tonight. Is the Eriksson magic over for now? Can Virtanen be trusted with more ice-time?
Jake is 24 this very day. .. :oops: time to grow up, kid!
I doubt the coach changes anything. I wish Olli Juolevi was more game ready and confident because the Blues will keep after Troy for sure.
Rick Dhaliwal@DhaliwalSports
don’t know when Toffoli plays but hearing he’s making good progress, doing better and better.
I never said he was close - just that he’s making progress
11:21 PM · Aug 16, 2020
Determination:
"evolution"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Way to step up, H-Dub! Good luck beating Rats run.

Huge game tonight - the blues might have some momentum, but not a lot. We just need to shut them up with a couple of early goals. Should be easy enough, right?

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Let’s start over. 5-2 Canucks.

Petey with a hat trick.

Huggy Bear with the game winning goal.

Schenn breaks down weeping.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

A lot will again depend on the reffing, if the Canucks can withstand the initial onslaught of cheap shots they should win.

Also the team needs to play a little tighter in their own end and get the damn puck outside the blue line.

Canucks 4 - 1.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Anyone think Allen will get a SHUTOUT?
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

No worries wids.... good luck :thumbs:

4-2 nucks
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What is Toffolis injury exactly?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:13 pm What is Toffolis injury exactly?
It’s inside a walking boot/cast whatever it is
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I saw the tide turning last night, let’s hope the Canucks bear down and push back. The last thing we need is to be in awe of the reigning Stanley Cup Champions, they are beatable but our D is too thin to sustain any more injuries, It’s frightening when you have both Edler and Tanev on the back line, I close my eyes when they get hit.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:47 pm I saw the tide turning last night, let’s hope the Canucks bear down and push back. The last thing we need is to be in awe of the reigning Stanley Cup Champions, they are beatable but our D is too thin to sustain any more injuries, It’s frightening when you have both Edler and Tanev on the back line, I close my eyes when they get hit.
Tell me about it. Looked like Tanev was a goner for sure on one of those hits.

As for the Canucks, each game they've looked a little more tentative. The passes are not as crisp, there is an increasing tendency to just try to get the puck out of the zone regardless of possession. On the one hand, this has allowed them to regain structure defensively and they did a decent job keeping the Blues on the outside. On the other hand, they are reducing their own dangerous chances. Canucks offense will largely come from special teams or speed. To the extent special teams is controllable, penalties are drawn mostly from getting the opponent on their heels (the refs are just not going to call much in the corners absent a high stick). The clear-the-zone and reorganize is a no-other-options play. It doesn't get you a scoring chance, it doesn't draw you a penalty. And when its the first option, its because they are lacking confidence.

But they need the confidence. They might lose playing their own game because of mistakes, but they will lose if they don't counter the Blues with their speed and skill. The Blues have been relatively bad in defensive transition -- take advantage of it.
Hono_rary Canadian
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

This is where the learning curve kicks in or kicks them in the ass. Some mental toughness is going to be required. Against Minny and during the first couple of games the officials were whistle happy and we ate them alive with special teams. Yesterday tons of stuff went uncalled that had been called since the play-in round. For the most part the whistles were pocketed both ways, right up until the 18 minute mark of the 3rd period. The penalties called were legit, however the inconsistency is what gets in the head of young teams.

Hopefully last night they learned that the playoffs will not be fair, and that they need to, and CAN, push through and skate with these guys.

St. Louis will be the heaviest opponent anyone faces in this playoffs. Philly and Boston close seconds. I definitely like our chances IF we can get by the Blues.....however tonight is, imho, the deciding game for the Canucks. If the Blues tie it up it's over in 6.

Let's hope that we see some real reslience sporting the stinky whale for a change.....we've had too many years of rollover and die.
UW wrote: But they need the confidence. They might lose playing their own game because of mistakes, but they will lose if they don't counter the Blues with their speed and skill. The Blues have been relatively bad in defensive transition -- take advantage of it.
Bang on UW. They can't be afraid to fail.
Last edited by Meds on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Micky wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:41 am Wonder if Travis will stay pat or Maybe we see Gaudette tonight. Is the Eriksson magic over for now? Can Virtanen be trusted with more ice-time?
Virtanen hasn't earned more ice time. But I really wish he would figure it out because his speed would help a whole lot.

I'd like to see Gaudette get another chance at some point in the playoffs (like the conference finals....), but I don't expect it to happen this game. Sutter is playing well as a center, and he isn't good at wing in his own zone. Beagle will never be taken out because he's need on the PK, which has been good. We've seen him do some really good things and really bad things this series, but his role is not replaced by Gaudette.

Gaudette didn't look good in the one game he played. A bad Gaudette is a liability, not just a waste of space. But a good Gaudette is a gamer, someone I think has the potential to step up in a big way in a big game with a clutch goal. He shouldn't play tonight (absent there being another injury); the Canucks have been in every game this series and are doing well converting chances. Should the Canucks lineup look like its totally without answers, then I expect to see 88 again.
Hono_rary Canadian