GDT: Canucks versus Wild Gm4 7:45 pst SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks versus Wild Gm4 7:45 pst SNP

Post by Mickey107 »

Undeniably a superb effort from Tanev in this series. Expected the solid defensive play but Holy Hell the guy played some offense and did it well.
Rushing the puck out more then ever. Have often seen real good outlet passes from him but this new all round game is great. Who's mentoring who? Maybe Hughes has offered up some on ice examples of what can be done if you've got the wheels. We always knew Chris was a accomplished
skater, I reckon having a multi conversant assembly of skill sets helps the entire team.

We are set up to score goals. We have multiple players who can fire them home. This series showed the team as a group has resolve.
I wasn't 100% sure that was the case and it's still only one series but it sure does look to be true.

Do we have the durability and the depth if need be? Probably not but some of the favorite teams don't either. Jacob frightens from time to time.
Great volume of work through the season though.He battles off bad goals, bad nights, for that matter. In a seven game series, Demko will be
called on, book it. He has played well at times but didn't look to good when the pressure was on late in the season when "he knew" he was the man. Hopefully he's learning the heightened emotion and tempo of playoff hockey.

If I was betting real money, I would be putting the bucks down on 4-3 and 3-4 games a plenty regardless who we play and how far we go.
Relatively sure, we will be entertained. With both Miller and Horvat dishing out the leadership and guys like Sutter, Edler, Myers, Eriksson, etc
that have been there, it's exciting.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:35 pm The thing is I'm sure even you supporters of the trade couldn't say he was going to be this good, you'd be lying if you did. Everything pointed to an inconsistent middle-6 forward who can be a productive 2nd liner at best. Didn't expect to see this, he's kinda Messier-lite (when Messier was good), a great leader and perfect winger for Gretzky-lite. ;)
Guilty.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:32 pm I've been harsh on management regarding bringing in vets too early, but no doubt they've helped guide the young guys behind the scenes and support them on the ice to allow them to flourish.

The way the young core developed so quickly into NHL superstars (#1 center, #1 Dman, Top line goalscorer, all Calder finalists/winner), you have to tip the hat to management group & scouting for their drafting prowess. Add the development staff to better guys like Bo and Marky each and every season to be a big part of the core.

Now you see the importance of having low-key vets in the playoffs who quietly do the dirty work (Sutter, Loui, Beagle), work that the younger guys like Gaudette are not ready for. I won't defend their contractual value... because you can't. But there's value that you can't put a price on.

The age gap vets like Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Ferland, Roussel, etc. are even more important as they take the pressure off the future leaders of the group. These are shrewd moves that were vilified at the time. There's no way that the superstars can thrive without this tier 2 support.

Then there's that part of fixing the D. It's probably still the weakest part and needs a lot more work going forward, but still it was addressed as best as it was possible to what was available out there.

And last, those "nothing" moves to shore up the farm and to bring in resources to help them develop, allow guys like MacEwan, Olli and more to come up here after sufficient simmering, for the team to not miss a beat.

Well done (so far).

Thank goodness for a greedy owner ;)
I agree with most of your post but a person would have to be dishonest to not admit the glut of salary spent on the bottom six isn’t a problem. The team will lose a good player(s) in the off season due to the mismanagement of the bottom half of the roster.

You don’t need ALL of Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson pulling down huge coin. Elmer is going to have to pull a rabbi out of a hat to square things up and put a solid team on the ice next year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 pm I agree with most of your post but a person would have to be dishonest to not admit the glut of salary spent on the bottom six isn’t a problem. The team will lose a good player(s) in the off season due to the mismanagement of the bottom half of the roster.

You don’t need ALL of Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson pulling down huge coin. Elmer is going to have to pull a rabbi out of a hat to square things up and put a solid team on the ice next year.
I'm not really sure we're disagreeing here, Blob.

Loui - This has proven to be the biggest mistake and albatross. Whatever the reason was at the time (Sedins, owner, etc.), he has been a $6 Mil healthy scratch. In hindsight, it was best to forego the entire group of FAs that year because they have all been horrible. Maybe the worst FA class of all time.

Sutter - He was brought in for the 3rd line center role. I think he is a good fit. Better than Bonino. While the money and term wasn't the best, it also wasn't the worst. His value looks terrible because he is never healthy.

Roussel - I didn't love this signing but I thought this young group needed an energy guy like this. Again, not the best contract for term, but I think he has proven to be a good signing for the bottom 6.

Ferland - I will defend JB to death for this. Nobody knew about his health 100%, not the doctors, not even Ferland himself. It's too bad really. We NEEDED a player like this. We still do.

Beagle - Of all the signings, I think this one is the most unnecessary. Too much $ and too much term for someone with "winning" pedigree. Even if you were certain that the team would be competing in the playoffs during this contract, that still too much to pay for what he brings as a 4th liner. He wasn't brought in as anything other than a 4th liner.

So yeah, with the Luongo recapture, this is going to be tough and JB has no one to blame but himself (and maybe the owner a little... and Bettman). Loui will still be a rash you can't get rid of and Beagle will collect all of his pay as a Canuck. JB better be a good juggler to sort this out. I think this team is going to look very different.

But going back to what I was saying...
Now you see the importance of having low-key vets in the playoffs who quietly do the dirty work (Sutter, Loui, Beagle), work that the younger guys like Gaudette are not ready for. I won't defend their contractual value... because you can't. But there's value that you can't put a price on.

Putting regular season cap and roster issues aside, I stand by this statement.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:13 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:32 pm I've been harsh on management regarding bringing in vets too early, but no doubt they've helped guide the young guys behind the scenes and support them on the ice to allow them to flourish.

The way the young core developed so quickly into NHL superstars (#1 center, #1 Dman, Top line goalscorer, all Calder finalists/winner), you have to tip the hat to management group & scouting for their drafting prowess. Add the development staff to better guys like Bo and Marky each and every season to be a big part of the core.

The age gap vets like Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Ferland, Roussel, etc. are even more important as they take the pressure off the future leaders of the group. These are shrewd moves that were vilified at the time. There's no way that the superstars can thrive without this tier 2 support.

Then there's that part of fixing the D. It's probably still the weakest part and needs a lot more work going forward, but still it was addressed as best as it was possible to what was available out there.

And last, those "nothing" moves to shore up the farm and to bring in resources to help them develop, allow guys like MacEwan, Olli and more to come up here after sufficient simmering, for the team to not miss a beat.

Well done (so far).

Thank goodness for a greedy owner ;)
I agree with most of your post but a person would have to be dishonest to not admit the glut of salary spent on the bottom six isn’t a problem. The team will lose a good player(s) in the off season due to the mismanagement of the bottom half of the roster.

Will he be pulling that out of a Kippah or just a traditional magician's top hat?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:25 pm Ferland - I will defend JB to death for this. Nobody knew about his health 100%, not the doctors, not even Ferland himself. It's too bad really. We NEEDED a player like this. We still do.

Beagle - Of all the signings, I think this one is the most unnecessary. Too much $ and too much term for someone with "winning" pedigree. Even if you were certain that the team would be competing in the playoffs during this contract, that still too much to pay for what he brings as a 4th liner. He wasn't brought in as anything other than a 4th liner.
Fortunately we have the potential of having a couple guys like Ferland going forward in MacEwan and Virtanen. MacEwan has shown flashes of being more than just a 4th line guy, and could be someone who can play up as high as the 2nd line at times possessing decent speed with a frame that can crash, bang, and go hard to the net.....his shot is probably just as good as Ferland's too.

Virtanen, oh what to say. Probably our most inconsistent player, but has the highest ceiling of anybody outside of Brock, Petey, and Hughes. With his wheels, size, ability to hit, and that shot.....oh that shot, the kid is the kind of guy who can be a massive difference in a game or a series. Similar to what Ferland was for Calgary against us back in 2015. Only caveat is that he has more natural hockey talent. If this group (coaches and players) can get him to discipline himself and bring his best effort on a nightly basis then, barring injury, he's going to be a major impact player for the Canucks for years to come.

Beagle was brought in as a 4th line guy who could kill penalties and mentor younger players in the defensive end as well as set an example of what it takes to do the little things. At the time our faceoff percentage was terrible, our PK was bottom barrel, and the only guy that was trusted in the defensive zone for faceoffs was Sutter.....who had already proven to be injury prone and often unavailable. Bo had been thrown into the deep end because he's a battler and was showing improvement in the dot, but he was still learning. Was it an overpayment? Sure. But by $1M at most, and frankly if $1M on a bottom-6 role player is a make-or-break number in your cap management then your problems are certainly elsewhere.

Roussel is not overpaid at $3M. This year he's been slow finding his consistency after coming back from that knee injury suffered last season. When he's on, and not out there with guys who can't provide offense, he's very effective as an energy player who can surprise with a bit of offensive dash. Most teams would have him on their 3rd line, and $3M is par for the course there.

The problems are Eriksson, Lou's recapture, Baertschi, Benn (because he's a healthy scratch), and Spooner's buyout. All totaling up to $14.358M in cap space, and currently $8.358M is dead weight that doesn't see the ice.

Factor in the following raises....

Markstrom $2.4M ($6M per)
Virtanen $2.25M ($3.5M per.....and a 20 goal, 40+ point crash and bang speedster is a bargain at that)
Tanev $1.05M ($5.5M per)
Toffoli $900K ($5.5M per)

$6.6M in raises.

That dead weight is looking awfully important right now, especially if this team does a bit of damage in the playoffs.....like say if they knock off Dallas and get into the second round.....then keeping this group largely together and banking on another step with further development from some of the younger guys next season would be a desirable thing.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:16 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:12 pm Greatest trade ever!

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1292167172639186944
Verklempt.....
Tequila...? :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Per wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Verklempt.....
verklempt
[fərˈklemt]
ADJECTIVE
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
overcome with emotion.
"He was all verklempt earlier this week over his teams latest victory and video of dressing room comradery "
synonyms:
overwhelmed · emotional · moved · affected · struck · verklempt
[fərˈklemt]

:wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:19 am
Per wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Verklempt.....
verklempt
[fərˈklemt]
ADJECTIVE
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
overcome with emotion.
"He was all verklempt earlier this week over his teams latest victory and video of dressing room comradery "
synonyms:
overwhelmed · emotional · moved · affected · struck · verklempt
[fərˈklemt]

:wink:
No, I get verklempt; Yiddisch is basically a German dialect (mixed with a wee bit of Polish and Hebrew) and I know German.
I’ve also read a lot of Singer and seen a lot of Seinfeld and Woody Allen.

But it seemed he called one of the players Tequila?! That was knew to me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:53 amThat was knew to me.
:wow:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:52 am
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Or new, I guess. :oops:

Damned homophones. :evil:

So, who is Tequila?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:58 am Damned homophones. :evil:

Only homophobes hate homophones.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:58 am So, who is Tequila?
Tanman = Tequila
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Micky wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:52 am
When did you start smoking pot?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”