GDT: Canucks versus Wild Gm4 7:45 pst SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks versus Wild Gm4 7:45 pst SNP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 am
The Miller trade could virtually go down as one of the top 5 trades in Canuck history.
Agreed. And just think; we have Jack Rathbone ready to show his stuff for the next training camp.

Podkolzin working hard. Future is so bright "Gotta Wear Shades".
"evolution"
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Attachments
FB_IMG_1596903359339.jpg
FB_IMG_1596903359339.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:38 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:11 am Fucking Benning. We have no first round pick this year!
The pick will end up being 16th 17th overall. Whoever they end up picking there will be no match for JT Miller. Might even never play a game in the NHL, not unheard of when you look at the historical percentages of NHL draft picks panning out. The Miller trade could virtually go down as one of the top 5 trades in Canuck history.

Speaking of trades how good were the:

Motte for Vanek
Pearson for Gudbranson

Trades?

Mustn’t forget about Leivo for Carcone
I don't care about the pick at this point anyway. Sometimes I think fans place more value on picks, magic beans, and the new shiny objects coming up than actually winning games in the present and while it does make sense at times, when you do finally have a Hughes or Pettersson, it's time to look forward and at windows to win a championship or you end up with superstars looking thoroughly defeated like McDavid or getting fed up and wanting out like Eichel. Watching McDavid yesterday was almost sad, it's like him, Draisaitl and a couple other guys with rest being the who's who of "who?". If Toronto loses tomorrow, I think there will maybe be only two of the past ten 1st overall picks still playing.

Meanwhile the Canucks have Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser, and a young captain in Horvat, leading the way with Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwen, Demko, and now Juolevi playing and experiencing the playoffs as a potential young core. They also have Lind and Rafferty there watching and Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, and Woo coming up. They're one quality RHD and a little more experience playing these types of games away from being right there.

And McCann was a healthy scratch for the Pens the other night so really was the initial Gudbranson trade all that catastrophic in hindsight? Wasn't great, could have been real bad, but looks like a nice recovery to me.

Nice to see both of Benning's bust picks in the lineup last night with Virtanen dropping the mitts and Juolevi once again looking just fine in the limited minutes he got. They really struck gold with the MacEwen signing too. The team was sorely lacking a big, tough winger that can play up and down the lineup and provide the occasional offense along with a measure of protection and retribution as the game dictates.

Fantastic game last night. Hughes was "The Man", a renaissance game for Tanev and Edler, solid contribution from the shitlist vets Sutter and Beagle and even Eriksson, and a another classic foot soldier effort from Motte who reminds me of a Draper/Maltby type glue guy for the Canucks.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Greatest trade ever!

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1292167172639186944

And how many Benning picks have played NHL games? It's got to be in the top half of the league.

Even his "busts" like Virtanen has hundreds of games, and now Juolevi is on his way too.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:12 pm Greatest trade ever!

Verklempt.....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

rats19 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:16 pm

Verklempt.....
Milermania... So passive on interviews but not on the ice and not with his team. With both him and Horvat, that's great leadership.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

And how many Benning picks have played NHL games? It's got to be in the top half of the league.

Even his "busts" like Virtanen has hundreds of games, and now Juolevi is on his way too.
If u scroll down in the link theres a wicked clip of the team when they get into their dressing room. That team is jelling huge. Its gonna be fun to watch how high these kids can fly
If you need air...call it in
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Was going to write about the masterful job Benning did to build a team ready to compete in a relatively short period of time not just with outstanding drafting but with really shrewd trades (some I criticized heavily at the outset but didn't take long to love)...

...but shit, all we really did was make the playoffs.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Shitfaced and smiling like aclown. Goggo tata
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:34 pm Was going to write about the masterful job Benning did to build a team ready to compete in a relatively short period of time not just with outstanding drafting but with really shrewd trades (some I criticized heavily at the outset but didn't take long to love)...

...but shit, all we really did was make the playoffs.
All is forgiven Nuck, playoffs are the first step...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

While it remains to be seen what kind of team we have, it was sure nice to see this one last night flip the script on what we've seen in the past when Cloutier or Luongo crapped the bed with soul-sucking meltdown performances. The game Marky had, 9..maybe 10 out of 10 teams would've folded the tent early and called it a night. These boys said fuck that, we'll find a way and they did. What does it tell ya when you need only 4 games to beat a team with pretty shitty goaltending. Bodes well moving forward. That said, not sure what to make of Marky..can get by Minny but he'd better get it together in a hurry or we can forget about any kind of run no matter how good the boys are in front of him.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:45 pm All is forgiven Nuck, playoffs are the first step...
Hey, I tell ya I fuckin' love Miller. Still hate losing 1st round picks but 4 (plus??) years of Miller being the Miller we've seen so far and I'm more than good. No need to rehash this, debate over.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I was not happy about the price paid for Miller at the time but I always liked him as a player. He has been even better than I thought he’d be and is a real leader on the team. You can tell he’s eating up being a real integral part of this young squad.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I've been harsh on management regarding bringing in vets too early, but no doubt they've helped guide the young guys behind the scenes and support them on the ice to allow them to flourish.

The way the young core developed so quickly into NHL superstars (#1 center, #1 Dman, Top line goalscorer, all Calder finalists/winner), you have to tip the hat to management group & scouting for their drafting prowess. Add the development staff to better guys like Bo and Marky each and every season to be a big part of the core.

Now you see the importance of having low-key vets in the playoffs who quietly do the dirty work (Sutter, Loui, Beagle), work that the younger guys like Gaudette are not ready for. I won't defend their contractual value... because you can't. But there's value that you can't put a price on.

The age gap vets like Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Ferland, Roussel, etc. are even more important as they take the pressure off the future leaders of the group. These are shrewd moves that were vilified at the time. There's no way that the superstars can thrive without this tier 2 support.

Then there's that part of fixing the D. It's probably still the weakest part and needs a lot more work going forward, but still it was addressed as best as it was possible to what was available out there.

And last, those "nothing" moves to shore up the farm and to bring in resources to help them develop, allow guys like MacEwan, Olli and more to come up here after sufficient simmering, for the team to not miss a beat.

Well done (so far).

Thank goodness for a greedy owner ;)
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:24 pm I was not happy about the price paid for Miller at the time but I always liked him as a player. He has been even better than I thought he’d be and is a real leader on the team. You can tell he’s eating up being a real integral part of this young squad.

The thing is I'm sure even you supporters of the trade couldn't say he was going to be this good, you'd be lying if you did. Everything pointed to an inconsistent middle-6 forward who can be a productive 2nd liner at best. Didn't expect to see this, he's kinda Messier-lite (when Messier was good), a great leader and perfect winger for Gretzky-lite. ;)