GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

Post by Cherry Picker »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm
griz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm A shot at a lottery draft looks to be the future.
Ain't winning that either.
We know the team that get generational players

Gretzky.... McDavid ....
Lemieux... Crosby ...

The Canucks didn’t stand much a chance to win the lottery, but if the Oilers and Penguins are in the lottery, they stand no chance.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pearson had a terrible game. He looks fat.

I don't like the new PP set-up with two units. The unit we used for the first 45-50 games this year generally was dangerous every time.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:07 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:54 pm Nothing new to see here.....at least going by the live tracker.

Watched the highlights on the first couple of goals. Markstrom not earning him a big extension on either of them.

The lack of offense is entirely unsurprising.
We'll be getting a bargain on the contract if we decide to go in that direction.
Of the three big UFAs Tanev was the best tonight.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:12 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:07 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:54 pm Nothing new to see here.....at least going by the live tracker.

Watched the highlights on the first couple of goals. Markstrom not earning him a big extension on either of them.

The lack of offense is entirely unsurprising.
We'll be getting a bargain on the contract if we decide to go in that direction.
Of the three big UFAs Tanev was the best tonight.
Yeah, by a long shot. Markstrom was okay but lost the duel to the guy at the other end.

Toffoli didn't show.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

3-0.

What a bunch of losers.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

It's a best of 5 series. Never should have played favorites.

Let's see if the coaches learned anything tonight. The Wild are faster, more organized and capitalize on tiniest of errors to stop offensive opportunities. Stalock's puckhandling negates pressure. Zero sustained offense, hardly any grade A chances generated.

If they don't figure a way to improve 5-on-5 and stop taking penalties, it'll be over quick. There'll be no Sutherland PPs given.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

How long did Green have to prepare for this series?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 pm How long did Green have to prepare for this series?
He wasted time on scrimmages. Team-mates vs team mates. Four of them. Line drills is what almost everyone else did.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ferland fight --- https://streamable.com/9lawva

Hartman hit on Tanev --- https://streamable.com/ey6w1y

Can't poke the goalie Pearson --- https://streamable.com/5z71uu

The Ferland bench poke, watch the overacting :lol: --- https://streamable.com/qsvn6l

Fucking cheap sticks --- https://streamable.com/3u8chu ---

Team-- Shots-- Hits-- Power Play-- Face offs
MIN ------31 ------28 -----2/4 --------41.0%
VAN ------28 ------40 -----0/1 --------59.0%
"evolution"
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Mëds wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm 3-0.

What a bunch of losers.
Mëds ... usually you have SO much more to say.

Nice to hang a little with you bunch of fucks again. It's been a while. Hic.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Its summer who wants to watch hockey anyways.

Walks away kicking a can down the street.

Markstrom not playing well so far in these 2 games and no one going to the front of the net and stirring shit up.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

griz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm 3-0.

What a bunch of losers.
Mëds ... usually you have SO much more to say.

Nice to hang a little with you bunch of fucks again. It's been a while. Hic.
Didn't watch the game. Just saw the score and a couple of goals. But when this team still can't get it together for playoff play-in games against the Wild, and the first showing is a goose egg.....tells me very little has changed and despite the talent on paper there is a problem with execution.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"I think it was what I expected: high-intense game, a lot of hits and both teams were battling. Both teams want to win. Game 1 to Minnesota. I’m looking forward to Game 2." - Pettersson
“I thought we did some good things to draw some penalties tonight: we were trying to get the net and we spent a lot of time in the offensive zone. We were maybe waiting to get that right call and we have to keep battling and get the calls.” - Horvat
"I wouldn't call it a lesson, but they got some experience for sure." - Green on young players in playoffs
-----
"They’re a good team, give them credit. They know how to defend. We spent a lot of time in their zone, but we didn’t get enough shots. We have to do a better job getting to the net if we want to score. We’ve got to do better." - Green
----
"I thought Petey competed hard tonight. I liked his game. They're going to try and play physical on him but I thought he responded well to it. As far as producing, yeah, we need those guys to produce more. ... But sometimes you've gotta win a game 1-0 too." - Green on Pettersson
----
"I think we probably had a few guys that were nervous. Which is to be expected. Nervousness is excitement which is good as well. I don't think we had everyone playing their best. We've done a good job of learning from games. I expect our team to be better next time." - Green
That's all that's available till tomorrow or at all...
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I would like to see the first unit powerplay as;
Pettersson
Horvat
Miller

Hughes
Boeser
-------------------------------------------------
Second unit; who cares, there only out there for 30/35 seconds anyway.
Virtanen and Guadette looked OK there last year. Maybe Toffoli with them

Myers and Ferland playing the points.

gimmy the keys Trav......................
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I was surprised Shotgun was a healthy scratch tonite. Sure, he had a bit of a down camp and did some questionable things, but he's basically a 20G man. We only scored 1G in the last 2 games, simply not good enuff. Earth to Greener, If the Wild are going to play Petey tight, we're going to need other guys to chip in on offence to open things up and hopefully get a win. Jake proved he can be a secondary/depth scorer for us. How can u scratch guy who helped u get here?

Other thoughts on the game:

- I thought with the Wild playing Petey tight, MIller or Toffoli would have been able to take advantage of a bit more open space and get better scoring chances. Most of our forwards didn't seem to be able to generate much. Heck, I thought Miller was our MVP this year (better than Petey), but he was invisible for the most part.

- When I saw Ferkland drop the gloves early, I thought OMG WTF are u doing?!?! If he got the symptoms again that early, Greener would have been down a forward the whole game. I thought the Wild coach probably wanted his guy (Foligno?) to challenge Ferly right off the bat for that exact reason and Ferly fell right for it. I'm glad Ferly was OK, held his own and didn't back down, but it was dumb. If Ferly stepped in cuz someone threw a dirty hit to Petey or Huggy Bear, I could live with. This was pointless. Even though it was nice to see Ferly try to make a statement early on, he didn't do much the rest of the game (like most of our team).

- I didn't like seeing MIller on the point on the PP. I don't think he's very good @ handling the puck from there and his strength is playing down low. They should keep Brock there or maybe Edler.

- We need someone who can score and help generate some offence. Right now, I don't think Rooster, Sutter or Ferkland are going to cut it. I think one of the 3 should be scratched in favour of Jake. I'd lean towards Rooster or Sutter. Having Sutter + Beags out together seems redundant. Heck, a case could made that Pearse and/or Toffoli should be scratched. Motte and Beags are our top PK guys, so they at least serve a purpose there.