GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks 'host' the mild - 7:30pm Aug 2 G1

Post by LotusBlossom »

parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

He was provoked. Not surprised he isn’t getting a suspension.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Whoa! LotusBlossom?!

That's a name from back in Central.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am Whoa! LotusBlossom?!

Pretty much, 23 years ago, I started posting at Central...where has the time gone?

I am a little excited hockey is back.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am A few comments:

Welcome to playoff hockey. Ever wonder why coaches and managers say it is critical to get young players playoff hockey experience. The pressure, speed and intensity all ramp up and they need to experience that. Hopefully Game 1 was the experience they needed to ramp it up themselves.

What were to be the Canuck strengths, were their weaknesses. Staying out of the box, the power play, speed, goal tending. The Wild played an aggressive close one on one battle and consistently won. Faster puck movement will beat that. The Wild can't clutch and flail with sticks to swat pucks out of Canuck control if the puck is being passed quickly.

Yes, Gaudette in in over his head, but if Jake needs to come in, pull Pearson.
Exactly, Petey seems fine even with all the attention and focus on him, he's battling hard, he'll get his chances to snipe one in, he's getting the Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane attention, all they need is a few mistakes by the team which happens and they snipe one in real quick.

Youngsters need to hype up their game, loosen up, shake off the nerves.

I know I harped on Brandon Sutter but actually he played a pretty damn good game, good enough to be a #3C center in my humble opinion, his playoff experience shown last night, leading the forwards with 3 shots on net while on the 4th line.

LotusBlossom wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am
Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am Whoa! LotusBlossom?!

Pretty much, 23 years ago, I started posting at Central...where has the time gone?

I am a little excited hockey is back.
Why I like the Canucks in the playoffs brings back a lot of posters aha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

LB? Huh. Hello!

As for the game, it was disappointing.

Pettersson looked good, but one man does not make a line. Toffoli and Miller must either get it together or Boeser needs to play with Pete so the Canucks can have two guys moving.

Defense looked okay after the fire drill first ten minutes. You can quibble about this and that, but quality chances against were suppressed after that miserable start. And the D was the only think making offense happen—just needed some good bounces, better screens, and better luck retrieval by the forwards. Stalock was fine at stopping pucks, but he had clean looks at most of the and the Canucks did nothing to make him pay for his marginal rebound control.

Can’t understand the blame on Marky. Yes, the goals were kind of soft, especially the first (unscreened through him). The second he was partly screened and presumed Edler was taking away the low shot from a high risk area. It looked ugly because of the gaping 5-hole and the change up of a shot, but it makes sense what Marky was anticipating and it is too close in to purely react. But on the whole Marky made some great stops and did his part to have the Canucks be in the game.

Didn’t like Gaudette with Ferland and Roussel at all. Ferland and Roussel are of a similar style, and both seem far less than 100%.

As for the 4th line, it was a train wreck and is rarely better. Beagles always had stone hands, Sutter has never been Exemplary at catching and receiving passes. But they were worse than usual last night. But more than that, neither the 3rd or 4th line did anything to make the Wild react. Each line needs some combination of players that can make something happen or create a little chaos (and not in our own end!). Last night wasn’t that combination.

It was a pretty terrible affair, and yet it was only decided by special teams. That recipe means the Canucks can play just as poorly and win if the penalties shake out differently. So there’s something....
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 am
Didn’t like Gaudette with Ferland and Roussel at all. Ferland and Roussel are of a similar style, and both seem far less than 100%.

As for the 4th line, it was a train wreck and is rarely better. Beagles always had stone hands, Sutter has never been Exemplary at catching and receiving passes. But they were worse than usual last night. But more than that, neither the 3rd or 4th line did anything to make the Wild react. Each line needs some combination of players that can make something happen or create a little chaos (and not in our own end!). Last night wasn’t that combination.

It was a pretty terrible affair, and yet it was only decided by special teams. That recipe means the Canucks can play just as poorly and win if the penalties shake out differently. So there’s something....
I actually thought the 4th line played better than the 3rd line.

If this series is to be decided on special teams - which, after a 5-1 powerplay ratio, seems likely - the Ferland/Roussel facewash and stick-slashing toughness isn't really going to hack it. Even if they succeed in getting under the Wild's skin, they're going to take more penalties than they draw.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Still hard to tell but with no fan noise in the back-ground, I thought I would hear more on ice stick tapping for passes and all the other codes
they use to jive with each other as to what to do. The communication for the Canucks seemed almost non existent.
Miller is usually a real vocal type. Horvat too. Other than the rejuvenated Ferland, (which was a bit too much). I'd say the Canucks lacked
emotion. The kind of heightened emotion that comes with playoff games, even for newbies. Maybe this is by design, who knows.
Travis Green is always low key.
Person looks so out of shape. Right now I don't see him top six. Edler looking a wee bit slower then Feb-Mar.
Maybe there's some nerves right now but we've brought guys here just for their experience in that Dept.
For starters, drop Pearson to bottom six sit Beagle.
LOL, Trav will stay pat.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

No more room for error...

Agree with all who say Gaudette is simply over his head at this stage of his career. Moving Sutter up to have a vet anchor the 3rd line seems the most reasonable given the lack of true centers.

In both exhibition and playoff games, Pearson has not generated any offence, has taken awful penalties and made horrible turnovers. Can't seen Green making any changes to the top 6 though.

Roussel & Ferland are too similar and haven't generated any kind of consistent, sustained offensive chances. Together with an inexperienced Gaudette, that line has been caved in.

Jake needs to be put in there, but not wasted on the 4th line. At this point, I have to honestly say, Loui's vet presence would help. Can't see a spot for him in the lineup.

One of the weakest points is the D in handling the Wild pressure imo. Green can't trust Stecher and Fantenberg together on the 3rd pair, so he has to compensate putting Trojan with Edler. To make it worse, Edler has not looked all that good. If Tanev and Hughes aren't on, the puck retrieval and clean breakouts aren't great.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

They need better players in the bottom 6, Green dropped the ball on this picking lunch bucket over better players, for all the frustrations Jake provides the mankind he’d be a boost in the bottom six and to be honest Eriksson as well. Roussel and Beagle are complete hands of stone, Sutter has no pulse aka Jason Garrison chill town. Ferland is sloppy. Gaudette in over his head and Pearson is a mess.

I like Motte and Ferland over Roussel, don’t need both. Replace Gaudette with Sutter. Sit, Roussel and Gaudette for Virtanen, Eriksson

Miller Petterson Toffoli
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Ferland Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Eriksson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm They need better players in the bottom 6, Green dropped the ball on this picking lunch bucket over better players, for all the frustrations Jake provides the mankind he’d be a boost in the bottom six and to be honest Eriksson as well. Roussel and Beagle are complete hands of stone, Sutter has no pulse aka Jason Garrison chill town. Ferland is sloppy. Gaudette in over his head and Pearson is a mess.

I like Motte and Ferland over Roussel, don’t need both. Replace Gaudette with Sutter. Sit, Roussel and Gaudette for Virtanen, Eriksson

Miller Petterson Toffoli
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Ferland Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Eriksson
I am confused, I thought you said JV sucks?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

2Fingers wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:31 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm They need better players in the bottom 6, Green dropped the ball on this picking lunch bucket over better players, for all the frustrations Jake provides the mankind he’d be a boost in the bottom six and to be honest Eriksson as well. Roussel and Beagle are complete hands of stone, Sutter has no pulse aka Jason Garrison chill town. Ferland is sloppy. Gaudette in over his head and Pearson is a mess.

Miller Petterson Toffoli
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Ferland Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Eriksson
I am confused, I thought you said JV sucks?
Listen Fingers

“Shut”
“The fuck”
“Up”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am Yeah HW completely fucked with ole Chefs noodle on that one, I just accepted it as the Chef not being educated enough on how this draft is shaking out. I think HW is out to lunch in Pats Pub at the Patricia on Hastings on that one. I’ve never heard that angle
She has friends in high places I think. This is a while back now -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmSyDHc4jw
That doesn't confirm what Wids said and I'm pretty sure she's wrong (we're talking about the 2nd phase of the lottery here).

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-lott ... -317280240

It's confusing because they say "Team E won".

But see, "Team E" isn't an actually team... yet.

But I guess you could say whoever wins the 2nd Phase lotto will effectively end up being Team E.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Micky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am Yeah HW completely fucked with ole Chefs noodle on that one, I just accepted it as the Chef not being educated enough on how this draft is shaking out. I think HW is out to lunch in Pats Pub at the Patricia on Hastings on that one. I’ve never heard that angle
She has friends in high places I think. This is a while back now -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmSyDHc4jw
That doesn't confirm what Wids said and I'm pretty sure she's wrong (we're talking about the 2nd phase of the lottery here).

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-lott ... -317280240

It's confusing because they say "Team E won".

But see, "Team E" isn't an actually team... yet.

But I guess you could say whoever wins the 2nd Phase lotto will effectively end up being Team E.
I believe it is more of “any team but the Canucks”
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

wow LB old central crew :D
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters