GDT: 02/25/20; Canucks vs Canadiens>4:00PM>SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: 02/25/20; Canucks vs Canadiens>4:00PM>SNETP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:02 pm Carey Price is still a top 5 goalie. He just plays on a shitty team and his contract is too long. But the man can still play. Does anyone remember at the other CC there was a neckbeard poster named crotch bandit that claimed to be very tight with Carey Price. Apparently they always went fishing together. I wasn’t buying it and let him know a few times. :lol: Curious if anyone remembers that toad....
I remember that sock! :)
Who was the puppeteer?
*everyone looks at Meds* :hmmm:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Meds wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:17 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:39 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:02 pm Carey Price is still a top 5 goalie. He just plays on a shitty team and his contract is too long. But the man can still play. Does anyone remember at the other CC there was a neckbeard poster named crotch bandit that claimed to be very tight with Carey Price. Apparently they always went fishing together. I wasn’t buying it and let him know a few times. :lol: Curious if anyone remembers that toad....

This game is a must win. Not an OTL... a win.
I don’t know about that, I’m near ready to toss Price on the list of overpaid hasbeens from BC
There's not question he's overpaid.

No goalie is worth more than 10% of a team's cap.

Look at all of the Stanley Cup winners of the past 10 years. The highest paid goaltenders were Holtby and Quick, both of whom have cap hits of less than $6.2M.

Look at some of the losers. Most of them had more money committed to the crease.

Montreal, Florida, and New York, all have more than 10% of their total cap committed to their starting goaltender.....Florida only just this year, but how much playoff damage have those teams done recently, and how much are they likely to do this year?

I'd say that anything more than roughly 7% of a team's total cap committed to the crease is a recipe for disaster unless you have a revolving door of top tier skaters coming out of your farm system on ELC's.

ole Doyles is not going to like this post
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Post game, Miller / Toffoli and other stuff..

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-5298531
"I didn't like my game tonight but it's never too late to find it... It means a lot, I think it's an accomplishment but at the same time I got 20 games left so I gotta keep going." - Hughes
“A few swear words mixed in there... but that we had to get better on the puck, stronger on the puck. We dug in there, got 2 points.“ - Green on his message during timeout
“He struggled a little bit tonight, but that's the good thing about him, even if he struggles, he never lacks confidence. He's still going to go out and try and make plays.“ - Green on Hughes
One thing missing. Jake helped save the game. Deceptive shot. Price had that WTF look.
Demko was good too. He tried to make a quick pass after a save and it was criticized a bit by either John or John, but I thought it was that
he saw a chance to catch the Habs off guard. He made some real good saves and never got rattled which is encouraging..
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:09 pm Our historical record against Hab teams is rotten to the core. We didn't steal this one, we saved it. So stupid starting hockey games at 4pm
They're the east and the have an easier travel schedule, so make them start at 8pm. They're use to. Who cares about the financial aspect... :lol:

Last edited by Micky on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Price is absolutely overpaid. But he’s still an excellent goalie.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Meds wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:17 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:39 pm I don’t know about that, I’m near ready to toss Price on the list of overpaid hasbeens from BC
There's not question he's overpaid.

No goalie is worth more than 10% of a team's cap.

Look at all of the Stanley Cup winners of the past 10 years. The highest paid goaltenders were Holtby and Quick, both of whom have cap hits of less than $6.2M.

Look at some of the losers. Most of them had more money committed to the crease.

Montreal, Florida, and New York, all have more than 10% of their total cap committed to their starting goaltender.....Florida only just this year, but how much playoff damage have those teams done recently, and how much are they likely to do this year?

I'd say that anything more than roughly 7% of a team's total cap committed to the crease is a recipe for disaster unless you have a revolving door of top tier skaters coming out of your farm system on ELC's.
Why you see the top teams let their expensive veteran goalie go and let the young developed goalie take over. (Capitals, Lightning, Blackhawks and Pens) all did that. As they prefer to use more cap % on talent up front and on defense.

Also why I'm glad Benning drafted DiPietro and Silovs for the future.

I can see the Canucks let Markstrom go if he wants a big UFA long-term contract, and Demko starts to play consistent down this key stretch.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Demko has the chance he has been waiting for to show he is ready to take the net. This really is a silver lining for the organization no matter how it turns out. Everyone knows one of them is most likely gone before or during the expansion draft. If Demko shines it puts less pressure on us to keep Markstrom. If Demko shits the bed then we know who we need to hang onto. Demko may not be ready to take us deep into the playoffs but we really don't need him to be there yet. Just get us there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 pm
Micky on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:47 pm, accidentally crushed a poor young lad looking up at him..........
:)
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

ImageImage

Stan Smyl would remember Barry Beck.
Last edited by Micky on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm
Who was the puppeteer?
Waiting for me to tell them it's Doc.....well consider it said. Just about every off-colour, half-cocked, loose cannon, short-termed, poster over at old CC was a Doc Sock. That's bankable.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Micky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm One thing missing. Jake helped save the game. Deceptive shot. Price had that WTF look.
True.... Jake had that WTF look for a second, too. Like WTF, why are they letting me get this close? It still took a heck of a shot and a bit of good fortune to score there, but if it flops up and out instead of up and back, the Canucks were in a position to pounce on the rebound.

On the downside, Beagle should try taking after Pettersson in games where he is connecting, not whiffing....
Hono_rary Canadian
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:46 am
Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm
Who was the puppeteer?
Waiting for me to tell them it's Doc.....well consider it said. Just about every off-colour, half-cocked, loose cannon, short-termed, poster over at old CC was a Doc Sock. That's bankable.
WTF, the Great Strangelove is a mod! :lol:

C'mon Kevin Wendell Crumb, confess! :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:38 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 pm
Micky on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:47 pm, accidentally crushed a poor young lad looking up at him..........
:)
Is that you Joe Biden?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Crotch Bandit was a sock?!

If it really was one of youse, well done.
Try to focus on THIS year...