GDT: 02/02/20; Canucks vs Hurricanes>11:00 AM>SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 02/02/20; Canucks vs Hurricanes>11:00 AM>SNETP

Post by Mickey107 »

Miller didn't have a plan. Ya; Hughes might have had something different.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Oh well, good effort for back to back morning games.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Good point.

Canucks in 1st in division.
HockeyHF having a melt down
Laughs barely in with a playoff spot
Flames suck.

What could be better in life?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer's back?

Shitty point to give up. But we're officially above .500 on this road trip.

I sometimes question the sanity of playing Tanev in the 3-on-3. The guy has no offensive hands. Just send Huggie and Myers out with Edler tossed in for good measure here and there.

Same story with Sutter.

Petey, Miller, Bo, Brock, Gaudette, Tuna
Hughes, Myers, Edler

At the very least don't have Sutter and Tanev on at the same time.

I blame this on the John's. They basically "called a shutout" going into OT saying how we've never lost in OT to the Hartford/Carolina franchise. Shitheads. Why even tempt the hockey gods?

Take a point out of Boston.....or better yet, two.

Can't win 'em all.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Would have been nice to win - but the canes played us tight and we end up with 3 out 4 points in afternoon back-to-backs. I'll take that anytime.

Not our best game, but really don't have a lot of answers for a fast, tight checking team (which we'll see in the post season).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

04:25:-1st ; EVEN-: Elias Pettersson (22) Snap Shot,- assists: Christopher Tanev (17),- Quinn Hughes (31) --- https://streamable.com/olmi3#

14:12;-2nd-: EVEN:- Tyler Myers (6) Wrist Shot,- assists: Oscar Fantenberg (2),- J.T. Miller (33) --- https://streamable.com/addkb#

9:06:3rd : EVEN:- Elias Pettersson (23) Snap Shot,- assists: J.T. Miller (33),- Oscar Fantenberg (3) --- https://streamable.com/k2xfs# amazing

Aho smacks Hughrs --- https://streamable.com/u486n

Pesce injury --- https://streamable.com/z2ks9#

Hughes-- Niederreiter collision --- https://streamable.com/z832q#

The only parts of the shoot out that I liked :) --- https://streamable.com/bw7tx#

I defer. Get Boston
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:48 pm This game is audacious as hell. Freakin dangerous out there.
I can't believe Micky had the audacity to try to squeeze his word of the day in here.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"That was good a hockey game. I thought our team was outstanding today, to be honest. Tough game, tough building against a team that's desperate. Thought that was a pretty intense game. Both teams played well, probably fitting it went to OT and a shootout." - Green
"Very good, that line was good tonight... I don't know if you want to say 'taking it to another level' but he's certainly playing well. He was playing well before the All-Star Break too." - Green on Pettersson
post-game/ Pettersson / Myers

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-5205302
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I make it a point of not to complain when we lose in OT/SO, especially on the road. Just glad Pettersson seems to have found his shot again. Hopefully Boeser gets a couple next game to get back on track too.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 pm Would have been nice to win - but the canes played us tight and we end up with 3 out 4 points in afternoon back-to-backs. I'll take that anytime.

Not our best game, but really don't have a lot of answers for a fast, tight checking team (which we'll see in the post season).
Yeah. Last time we played the Canes I remember similar PP success.....they don’t give any space.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Mëds wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm I sometimes question the sanity of playing Tanev in the 3-on-3. The guy has no offensive hands. Just send Huggie and Myers out with Edler tossed in for good measure here and there.

Same story with Sutter.
Tanev's been real good in overtime this season. He was pretty good yesterday afternoon. Skating, intelligence, and hands are all important factors in overtime -- in that order. Tanev skates far better than Edler at this point in Edler's career, and Edler lacks Tanev's patience to let plays develop.

As for Sutter, I don't entirely disagree others *might* be better, but he has sneaky speed (he looks slow, but is very efficient with his strides) and is good for a shift or two when OTs been going on for awhile and the opposition has worked through its rotation once. I don't think the delta between Sutter and anyone not named Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, and Boeser is so obvious as to make playing him in overtime a bad decision.

But maybe the bottom line is that the Canucks haven't been bad at all in the 3 on 3. Not among the league's elite, but not a disaster or anything close. Whatever expected return from tinkering is going to be minimal and might even be negative.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am But maybe the bottom line is that the Canucks haven't been bad at all in the 3 on 3. Not among the league's elite, but not a disaster or anything close. Whatever expected return from tinkering is going to be minimal and might even be negative.
Difficult to rank 3 on 3 . Petterssom--Miller--Hughes and Tanev--Horvat--Virtanen/Boeser. We can back-up our first unit.
How many are teams are elite? If the top five is the mark, I think we are there...........
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Mëds wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm Reefer's back?
Really? Didn't notice.

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm I sometimes question the sanity of playing Tanev in the 3-on-3. The guy has no offensive hands. Just send Huggie and Myers out with Edler tossed in for good measure here and there.

Same story with Sutter.
Tanev's been real good in overtime this season. He was pretty good yesterday afternoon. Skating, intelligence, and hands are all important factors in overtime -- in that order. Tanev skates far better than Edler at this point in Edler's career, and Edler lacks Tanev's patience to let plays develop.

As for Sutter, I don't entirely disagree others *might* be better, but he has sneaky speed (he looks slow, but is very efficient with his strides) and is good for a shift or two when OTs been going on for awhile and the opposition has worked through its rotation once. I don't think the delta between Sutter and anyone not named Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, and Boeser is so obvious as to make playing him in overtime a bad decision.

But maybe the bottom line is that the Canucks haven't been bad at all in the 3 on 3. Not among the league's elite, but not a disaster or anything close. Whatever expected return from tinkering is going to be minimal and might even be negative.
That's all true.

Where I notice it with Tanev and Sutter is the odd man rushes, the inability to either make or receive the pass that requires higher skill to get when it has to go around or through the defender. With Sutter I notice it more in terms of on-ice vision. He's very good at reading the ice defensively, but offensively he just never seems aware of the trailer. You know how the top offensive guys seem to have eyes in the back of their head? I don't expect a third line checking forward to be great in that regard, but he often seems subpar.....and your point about Tanev's patience is a good one, it is also where Sutter drops off badly.

But we certainly haven't been bad 3-on-3 at all this year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm Reefer's back?
Really? Didn't notice.

Don't forget your promise 5th...
5thhorseman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:57 pm How about this? Hey Reefer, how about you come back and I unblock you? Whaddya say good buddy?
:wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.