GDT: 01/16/20>Coyotes vs Canucks>7;00PM>SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 01/16/20>Coyotes vs Canucks>7;00PM>SNETP

Post by dangler »

dangler wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 pm Nice win,
Liked the lines tonight with Jake/Petey/JT
Pearson/Bo/Loui
Brock/Gaud/Rous
Birdbones/Beags/Motte
Tanev was the best d-man IMHO,Markstrom with another outstanding performance
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

J.T. and Petey weren’t hemmed in much this game.
Not sure if they are as good offensively, but they looked better defensively with Jake.
Seems like Brock was taking all the responsibility for his line. He looked good away from 9 and 40.
Markstrom saying “Show me the Money”
Beagle and Motte saying to Sutter “You complete me”
The forth line looked much better with Schaller out and Sutter in.
Nice grinding game. Yotes had very few quality offensive opportunities.
Bo’s line is pretty much shutting down everything, and adding some goals.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

PPG: Bo Horvat (16), Wrist Shot,- assists: Quinn Hughes (29),- Elias Pettersson (28)- 15:01-1st --- https://streamable.com/eokdh#

EVEN: Jake Virtanen (14), Wrap-around,-- assists: J.T. Miller (29),- Elias Pettersson (29)- 15:49-2nd --- https://streamable.com/1lsqw#

EVEN: Tanner Pearson (13), Wrist Shot,-- assists: Loui Eriksson (3),- Alexander Edler (17)- 19:15-3rd --- https://streamable.com/ft4zy#

Close call for Motte and a very easy going hit by Edler --- https://streamable.com/crsz0#

Not recommended for all defense men. Only Super Hero ones --- https://streamable.com/ytl2t#

Always squeeze you stick 8-) --- https://streamable.com/9za3v#x--- whatever team ---https://streamable.com/4803b#
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 pm It’s the Travis Green model of developing rookies. Let them sit 20 in a row.
Yeah, I can see why it was hard to get Big Mac in though, as the team was doing quite well coming off that 7 game winning streak. With Sutts back, MacEwen will prob be sent back to Utica, especially with the all-star break just around the corner. Not sure how much he can learn in the minors though, as he already spent 2+ seasons there. With Schaller's contract expiring, expect the Nucks to cut costs on the 4th line, open up that spot internally and let a guy like Big Mac battle for it. Both guys play a similar game, bringing some size and muscle to the lineup.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm I've always loved Tocchet.

Comes into the league as a prospective goon.

Turns into a 50-goal scorer and captain.

All heart, a leader of men...
Rocket Tocchet racked up lots of pts as a junior though.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Virtanen's speed and don't give a fuck "I'm shooting" brings a welcome jolt to the Pettersson line. He also made some surprisingly smart passes.

Gaudette is looking lost.

Defensive zone was played much tighter gaps to create turnovers instead of waiting to tip cross ice passes.

Surprised Sutter didn't take Eriksson's spot, can only think they are trying to dress Loui up in hopes of a TDL hail mary.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

POST-GAME -> Quinn Hughes,--- Jake, "the Snake", Virtanen,--- Travis Green

..............................https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postg ... /c-5121602

ouch
Another great game by Markstrom and it needed to be. Out-shot 35-25. I will say the Canucks are playing like a team that cares but still don't think the lines are right. I think Jake is fine on the first line as long as he keeps out of the box. When I say that, I mean the cheap ones like hooking and holding. If he roughs it up when called for..cool. Seems to be finding a groove with Petey and TJ.
Brock on the third line is out of line. WTF? Horvat is out of his slump, (or just plain feeling better), and that's great but it aint cause of Eriksson.
Why can't Boeser play on the line with Horvat and Pearson? Ya, I think it was tried a while back for a shift or two when things were bad but how
about a longer look.
I get the idea is three offensively minded lines but we're getting out shot and needing near perfect goal tending.
Don't have a problem with Green trying to improve Boeser's defensive play but let's not F-around with what he really is; A pure goal scorer.
I want to see him get his swagger back and just start ripping them again. Always been a good passer too.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:02 am Virtanen's speed and don't give a fuck "I'm shooting" brings a welcome jolt to the Pettersson line. He also made some surprisingly smart passes.

Gaudette is looking lost.

Defensive zone was played much tighter gaps to create turnovers instead of waiting to tip cross ice passes.

Surprised Sutter didn't take Eriksson's spot, can only think they are trying to dress Loui up in hopes of a TDL hail mary.
The game was a tough schlog for the group and I am actually surprised how well they rose to the occasion. Interesting observation about the gap control. I was having trouble figuring out what they did differently and youre bang on. I would say this change in tactics left the coyotes coaching staff scratching their bald spots a bit.

The canucks also adjusted their forecheck after the 1st to send that 2nd man to the middle when they were finding an easy outlet option. This left the coyotes fumbling in indecision a bit which led to way more turnovers for them than they're used to. Good job greenie and co.

Excellent defensive work and a monster game for Horvat. He looks 10x stronger now that his ice time has been backed off. He looked like a tank and the coyotes had all sorts of trouble containing him and his line.

The coyotes really did a good job on pettersson and Miller though but thats ok when you have a strong 2nd line. Pete still ends up with 2 apples so...oh well.

What more can we say about Hughes. Crazy legs!
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With Virtanen, he is the classic Good/Bad player. The Good part has really stepped up while the Bad has lessened but not completely. You still see stupid things from Jake, but not as much. However he still gets completely lost when his line-mates are cycling, I noticed last night a couple times where he turns into a directionless audience member in those situations. I don’t think that fault of Jakes is gonna go away quickly, it’s an IQ thing. But think it will get better with more experience. He is definitely the slow boat to China learner of the game, but see great things from this player in a hotly contested playoff series
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Took Danny Cleary a while to figure it out
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 pm Good win tonight!

Had to laugh at Loui, he just couldn't grab another empty netter. :D
For all his warts... the fact that he’s on the ice pretty much every time the opponents pull their goalie for an extra forward must mean the coach thinks he is one of the better defensive forwards. Still overpaid though.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Since the Bo/LLL/Missing Pearson line was put together 12 games ago, it has scored 6 empty netters. Each guy with 2.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hank wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 pm Since the Bo/LLL/Missing Pearson line was put together 12 games ago, it has scored 6 empty netters. Each guy with 2.
Looey and stetcher must be getting pumped for the dump. Why else would they be there?

2nd line wingers usually can score the odd goal with a goaltender in there and a 6th dman should be trusted to at least chip it off the glass instead of whatever that turnover train is called hes rocking....ya?
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, it's good to see that the pumps are being primed for the dump.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Some impartial observations I poached from HF Boards arizona GDT:
I gotta say though... honestly Hughes love is one of my takeaways for this game so far. Based solely on this one game wouldn't be surprised if Hughes is nominated for a Norris in 3-4 years (large sample size I know). Plays like a slicker skating / less mean version of Drew Doughty, probably a better passer and has that same awareness of when to flash his skill to take on guys 1-1 and when to make the simple play (except for maybe the deke he successfully pulled off at the end of the period, Nash actually noticed good for him)
even that play by quinn hughes. Sees the shot is taken away, so he bangs it off the end boards to get a rebound to the slot-ish (rather than rim it around like every other defensemen). Who does that?
Vancouver is playing heavy and close, bumping everyone when they can. Everyone knows this works on the Coyotes by now (except the Hall line) but it especially works on Keller and to a lesser extent Schmaltz.