GDT: Canucks vs Blahs 05 Nov 2019 @ 19:00 PST on SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Blahs 05 Nov 2019 @ 19:00 PST on SNP

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am

micky107 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 am
Green; "It was a fun game to coach. A lot of intensity in the game. That was a great hockey game. Awesome [to get a point]. When you're playing a team like St. Louis, it's a grind. they take up a lot of space. Wasn't a lot of space for either team, it could've gone either way. That was a big boy game. That's a heavy team, they know how to win. We talked about it before in this room. If you wanna win a Stanley Cup you've gotta be able to play some heavy games, as skilled as you want to be. I thought that was as physical a game as we've played. I think our whole team really stepped up tonight. That was a hard game... a heavy game. You like to see your team in different types games. When you play certain teams there's not a lot of margin for error. Every shift matters, every puck battle matters. It's hard to find space. When you play in games like this, you can learn a lot from them."
.I didn't think the Blues were all that good at all. We didn't have much for finish. We had more time on plays then we
thought, we were just rushing it.
One little move to the right and Pete could have had one. He could have had 2 or 3 and Brock should have had one. Brock was off, looked sluggish.
Actually, I thought a few of our guys did at times, including Horvat, Miller, a little, and Pearson was way off.
Might have been different had Sutter converted that shorty. Leivo was all right. Gaudette soso. Jake OK. He can do more. Wish he would.
Garret was on Benn on that Blues goal and ya, he was out of position but where the fuck was Stecher? Way-off to the other side covering air.
Stecher is not as effective with lower minutes and not joining the rush much now. In fact, he has in the past been decent at carrying the puck
out of his own end but now looks to pass right off. Oli ready yet?
Better one point than nothin. should have had two. Next game, Eriksson OUT and Baertschi in for a look maybe. LE was Ick.
The Canucks have gained a pile of momentum in games this year from their puck movement and control on the PP. Even when they don't get many shots or goals out of it they build confidence in their puck movement and control. St. Louis' PK was outstanding, while down a man they pressured the puck carrier as aggressively as any team I've seen since Boston in 2011. Returning to even strength after all but of their kills there was a surge of momentum from them and play seemed to swing back the way of the Blues. The Canucks did very well to weather those storms and claw the momentum back. I would venture to say that more than 50% of the play was on St. Louis' side of center ice.

Our passing was pretty bad. However it was magnified by St. Louis' strong pressure and ability to keep everything to the outside.

Edler is back to being an offensive disaster.

Markstrom was excellent. He faced fewer shots but I felt like he the ones he faced were more challenging and he made bigger saves.

Watching Hughes dance along the point is incredible. I haven'ts seen a defenseman in recent history that dangles and makes plays where the puck is ON the blueline and stays on-side so consistently while finding space to make a play. Once our PP fully realizes this and the forwards support more appropriately by jumping into the areas where the pressuring PK'ers have vacated those PK's will get burned and back off. Currently I see one of the wingers coming high far side to give Quinn a safe pass in those situations, however the other forwards don't read the play and remain too static. They aren't quite working as a single unit yet.

Our defense was actually quite good last night. Holding the defending champs to a single goal through 60 is nothing to be ashamed of for this young team. The 2 points would have landed us top spot in the West, but it alas it was not to be.

Way too many liberties being taken with Pettersson that are going uncalled on unchecked.

Leivo was a strong player last night. He can't really pass for shit, but he played a heavy game and was full marks for his ice time.

I can't believe Sven is sitting over Loui. Questions about Baertschi's defensive game are simply not reason enough for that. Eriksson is just not putting in any kind of effort.....at least from an observer's perspective.

The way that game ended was just disgusting comedy.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:24 am

Meds wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am

Way too many liberties being taken with Pettersson that are going uncalled on unchecked.
He's shown more toughness himself this year and that's great but if refs aren't going to make the calls on transgressions on him or his ability
to make the plays then the team has to respond.
Pete isn't one to exaggerate the obvious or borderline infractions on him, at least not as bad as many.
"evolution"

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Sometimes it’s good that refs let things go. Like on our tying goal, just before that Pettersson’s stick was on the ice and the Blue’s player pushed it out of his way. That’s a 2 minute penalty. Pettersson was clearly upset at the no call but we went onto score, something that may not have happened had the play been called and we went on the PP.

Sometimes gawd intervenes :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:23 pm

“That was a big-boy game,” added Green. “That’s a heavy team and they know how to win. To win a Cup you have to play in heavy games and that was the most physical one we’ve been in this season and we handled it very well. It was a fun game to coach. A lot of intensity. A great game. When you’re playing a team like St. Louis, it’s a grind. They take up a lot of space and there’s not a lot for either team.

“I’m happy with our game.”

Green would have also been happy had he heard the post-game plaudits delivered by Craig Berube. The Blues coach lauded the Canucks in every conceivable manner.

“They’ve got a good mindset,” said Berube. “They’re skating and attacking with five guys and have everybody going. They’re doing a good job and are a tough team to play against. They put you on your heels a bit with their speed and attack and their defence is very involved. (Quinn) Hughes is a dynamic player and creates a lot of stuff. That’s a good hockey club.”
Fuck ya! I really enjoyed that game...last nights and Anaheim games were nailbiting, exciting games that we could've just as easily won. This Canucks team is for real and we better get used to watching a winner in Canucksville I'd say
https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/ ... 4a1e85d8ed
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 pm

“I thought we battled hard tonight. It was a tight game. I thought both teams played pretty well. Had a bit of a playoff feel to it. Got a little physical at the end.” — Tyler Myers
Ya, guess your gonna remember the end for a while, mm, Tyler? kidding ;)
“This couldn’t be more like a playoff game. Close, tight, crowd was awesome, there’s some hits. Some really good chances. Those are a super fun game to be a part of.” — JT Miller
I bet! Crashed out in the minors myself but sure as hell glad your happy. :blush:
“It was a typical playoff game. It’s not gonna be easy, and it’s gonna be a hard-fought match, and it’s not going to be blowouts in the playoffs.” — Bo Horvat
Spoken like a Captain. Good to know playoffs are on the minds of you and "your" dudes. 8-)
“It felt like a playoff game for me and I think all of us (felt that), it was a tight-checking game all game, and I thought it was a great game by us, obviously we’d like to get the two points.” — Jake Virtanen
Go Jake go. Who the f**k needs good grammer. Get em. :twisted:
"evolution"

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Meds wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am
Maybe someone from the Vancouver Sun should write an article about it.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock ... ng-to-stop