GDT: Canucks vs Flyers Oct 12 7:00 CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Flyers Oct 12 7:00 CBC

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 pm
One of these days, I would really like to see, a Canuck's team, (players and coach), that believe in taking it to the other guys in the third period,
at home, when they have a lead and not sit on it. It's getting old. Real old.....
Oh you mean like the last game they just played?

:scowl:

The other teams generally have a hand in that scenario and yesterdays team is no pushover. The Flyers are a fast and talented team that are going to probably make the playoffs in my opinion.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 am
Probably why I said it in the Canucks vs Flyers thread. :scowl:
The other teams generally have a hand in that scenario and yesterdays team is no pushover. The Flyers are a fast and talented team that are going to probably make the playoffs in my opinion.
Really? lol. I don't care how great the Flyers, (or anyone else), is. If you keep collapsing back in to your own end because your protecting a one goal lead, or it's tied and your trying to protect a single point as a sure thing, it's a bad way to coach. IMO. It's not just Green. It fails way too often.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 am
Sure but you said "one of these days". Well one of those days just happened 3 days prior
micky107 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 am Really? lol. I don't care how great the Flyers, (or anyone else), is. If you keep collapsing back in to your own end because your protecting a one goal lead, or it's tied and your trying to protect a single point as a sure thing, it's a bad way to coach. IMO. It's not just Green. It fails way too often.
There is no foolproof way to win games Mickster. They won, they beat a strong team that put up a helluva fight.

Celebrate it then move on...no need to scorn them for not winning handily enough
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

"Sitting back" was something prevalent in the dead puck, trapping era and is generally now a fallacy. Simply, sports and especially hockey is full of constant swings and momentum shifts.

The Flyers are a good team, and when good teams are down, they are going to mount that pressure. The Canucks weren't sitting back but they have to keep their structure when teams are pressuring with both D. You can't run out of position when you're defending to try to get the puck to score. That would be disastrous. And they were doing the same thing against the Oilers late and the Flames to mount a comeback in those games.

Simply saying "sitting back" or "didn't show up" really irks me for some reason. If you've even played rec hockey you'd know even there you have plenty of swings. And nobody is trying to sit back, everybody is cheating and cherry picking to try to score.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Brandon, (who's been playing better), was despicable on the Flyer's break in leading to the tying goal.

I do think some teams sit back to get to overtime. Secure the point stuff.
Might be somewhat more willing to go for the kill in regulation when it's a close conference rival later in the season.
I really don't hate it. The 3 on 3 has been a tremendous addition.
"evolution"
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Are you talking about the Flyers 2-2 goal? That was the Benn penalty and Trojan was turned around on a cross-ice pass. But that was just a good play. PK can't go 100% all season.

Agree about OT. If in the last 30 seconds it doesn't look like it's a good idea to press, it's probably the right move to sit on it and go to the shootout.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

I think he was referring to the 4-1 lead going into the third against LA. Remember that one day when they gave up a goal to LA in the first 7 minutes of the third to have their lead cut in half and then instead of sitting back, they potted 4 of their own in the next 10 minutes?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:19 am
micky107 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 pm One of these days, I would really like to see, a Canuck's team, (players and coach), that believe in taking it to the other guys in the third period,
at home, when they have a lead and not sit on it. It's getting old. Real old.....
Sure but you said "one of these days". Well one of those days just happened 3 days prior :scowl:
Yeah Mick. :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

micky107 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 pm
Thnx for sharing, Bieksa is the hoot! :lol: Not sure if he's interested, but if I were JB, I'd try to get him on my coaching staff. I think Juice would be way better than Higgy.
I've seen this a few times from Jake. He's smart in the sense that he knows when some1 has him lined up, so he braces for it and he's strong enuff on his skates that the guy trying to hit him actually takes the worse of it. Jake can make a guy look bad. I remember Kornwall was a guy who tried to get him and same thing.
Hank wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:13 pm Bo has sent Leivo in cold twice. Didn't even get a shot either time. Same hands as Steve Bernier.
Leivo does seem to be fighting the puck a bit. I wouldn't mind if Jake gets some minutes with Pearson-BoHo, at least until Leivo gets some of his confidence back. Jake actually setup Bo with a nice pass and Bo just missed.