GDT: Canucks @ Kings - Feb 14/19 - 7:30pm SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Kings - Feb 14/19 - 7:30pm SNP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper trolling the board again.

I guess he’s a better coach than Green and Baumer.

Prey tell why is Gudbranson not getting more ice time?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:36 am
Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am

Does Brockey_Hockey have any skill other than his shot?
We got him 23rd overall. The fact that we picked up a guy that low in the first round who has the potential to notch 40 goals a year for us, yeah, I'd say that even IF that's all he's got we should be thrilled.
This is the same poster who thinks Tim Schaller was a good pickup and that Gudbranson is more effective than Stecher. He keeps jamming that tongue in his cheek, he’s going to poke a hole through his beard.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 amTopper trolling the board again.
I was asked my opinion of the lil'trojan
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 amShockingly the haters have been quiet lately. Easily the teams most improved player this year. Maybe he and Benny are developing into actual legit top 4 d men.
and I gave it, as I have always done. I have not remained quiet.

As I said, Markstrom is clearly the most improved. Go ahead, prove otherwise. The only two others players remotely in the conversation are Hutton and more distantly, Jake.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 amI guess he’s a better coach than Green and Baumer.
I do not base my opinions upon single game ice times, especially those were the teams top pairing D are not playing.

From someone who claims to be a better GM than MS, your comments are hollow.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 am

We got him 23rd overall. The fact that we picked up a guy that low in the first round who has the potential to notch 40 goals a year for us, yeah, I'd say that even IF that's all he's got we should be thrilled.
This is the same poster who thinks Tim Schaller was a good pickup and that Gudbranson is more effective than Stecher. He keeps jamming that tongue in his cheek, he’s going to poke a hole through his beard.
Answer the question. There is nothing to read into it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

* So this team wins when it is outplayed and loses when it is about even or plays better than the opposition. [Recent exception, of course, the 7-2 drubbing, where the score reflected the quality]. The good news is that they have experience gutting out wins when the game's not there. The bad news is that as the team improves, they should be playing as well as their opponents in this league with tons of parity....

* On Marky. I agree. He is absolutely the most improved player on the team from last season. I felt that his ceiling was "league average NHL starter." But for two months, he's been better than that. Cloutier also had runs, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.... But Markstrom has better tools.

* On Boeser. He has good hands (once he has possession) and good offensive awareness (when he doesn't have the puck). Those are key skills to having that shot matter. He's as error prone as the Russian Whipping Boy when it comes to high risk low reward passes, though.

* On the illusion of being a Top 4 (or top pairing!) defenseman. I am in the camp of meh on Stetcher. I like his hustle and tenacity. I think his game is serviceable as a bottom pairing guy. But he ate those minutes last night because the Canucks have only two other NHL caliber blueliners -- Hutton and Gudbranson. And Hutton was a regular in the press box last year. Gudbrandson, well, I'm as cold on him as Stetcher. But I would admit that most NHL teams would dress the guy (though likely as a PK, third pair guy).

What I will give Stecher is that his play didn't seem to get worse because his minutes doubled. Kids got a good motor, and I'm thinking takes good care of himself. If there are injuries for short periods and Stetcher needs to play more, okay. But the fact that the Canucks are looking to him to be a top 4 guy is evidence that the Canucks need some more defensemen....

* On Pouliot. Now there is a guy that is a waiver wire guy, but you know what? Last night I actually thought its not completely impossible for him to turn the corner into something better. He generally suffers from what Hutton had the past two seasons -- freezing-by-indecision. Last night though, multiple times he "skilled" his way out of his brain-freeze making for a more precarious situation than, say, a good quick decisionmaker like Tanev ever forces upon himself. If Pouliot can do that when necessary but doesn't force himself into the situations where he must do that, then he *might* have a career in this league.

* On Pettersson. The kids slight, but you know what? Watch his defensive game. He is as tenacious as they come. Yes, he creates liabilities because he takes a ton of risks with the puck (and pulls it off more than anyone the Canucks have had in the organization since....). But forget that for a second. He is constantly diving to knock the puck away -- and it works. He gets back into position very quickly after he loses his positioning (he's never out of the play for long). When he tries to steal the puck, he often does it in a way to create clear possession and an opportunity. And he's starting to use his body much more (I'd say he's starting to get more physical, but it isn't simply checking guys (and it isn't "hits" at all). That he has his frame and his age and is so good at this side of the game should be very encouraging. I don't think its crazy to think he could be a Selke contender someday. He turnovers don't get in the way of that, so long as there are really high takeaways (see Datsyuk).
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 am

Answer the question. There is nothing to read into it.
He can find a soft spot better than most in the league and is a better than average playmaker. He isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Now what do Schaller and Gudbranson provide? Answer the question. There is nothing to read into it.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 amTopper trolling the board again.
I was asked my opinion of the lil'trojan
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 amShockingly the haters have been quiet lately. Easily the teams most improved player this year. Maybe he and Benny are developing into actual legit top 4 d men.
and I gave it, as I have always done. I have not remained quiet.

As I said, Markstrom is clearly the most improved. Go ahead, prove otherwise. The only two others players remotely in the conversation are Hutton and more distantly, Jake.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 amI guess he’s a better coach than Green and Baumer.
I do not base my opinions upon single game ice times, especially those were the teams top pairing D are not playing.

From someone who claims to be a better GM than MS, your comments are hollow.
You don’t base decisions on ice time. OK. So in your world a 12 min 3rd pairing slug is likely to be just as effective as a guy playing 25 min. Makes total sense. I don’t give a shit who is hurt. They tapped two guys to increase their minutes and it wasn’t 44.

I am probably a better GM than MS. I’m also better looking, have a hotter wife, absolutely a better sense of humour, more friends, a bigger dink, a better athlete, and obviously just a better guy. :)
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am lil' trojan was again an embarrassment, I literally laughed out loud at his attempts to check Getzlaf the previous game and it was the same against the Kings bigger stronger forwards. He was treated like a gnat, he can not win a puck battle on the boards. The idiotic pinches and offensive zone forays still exist....but when Biega and Pouliot are your comparables, he must look Norris worthy. I think folks are confused because with Edler out, the lil trojan has been getting #1 unit pp time in the static - dish to brock, dish to elias, dish to brock, dish to elias. shoot. There is nothing to his shot and it is either wide or on the logo. He's useless as usual.

Markstrom is easily the most improved player on the team.

Pettersson is learning that defenders are terrified of him. If he has the sllghtest gap between him and a defender they will hesitate to watch for his next move, he's learning to use that time. JOHNNY_HOCKEY does it all the time to defenders and uses it to get an extra fake in forcing the miss.

Your trojan hate is clouding your judgement, Stetcher had a pretty good game, his shot could use a little more polishing, but it's far from horrid. Definitely top 4 calibre.

Marky MVP , Absafreakintootly

Boeser blows a few too many passes, but his sniping abilities compensates that ....for now
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This extra ice time that both Stecher and Huttin, (as a pairing), are getting is the best thing that could have happened for both of them.
During this team crisis defense man injury period, they are both really concentrating in keeping it simple and making the plays that make
sense, (not over thinking). When their ice time goes back to a #2 pairing size, (roughly 23 minutes or so), they should be better versed
at the craft they are being paid for.
And actually, Stecher showed promise on the PP right from the start of his tenure here.
He's OK, IMO, as a second unit guy on the PP but either he or Ben have to get it done right now.
Hutton and Stecher are friends and they wont be afraid to work out gaffs that come up in either of their games.
Better get use to them being our #2 pairing moving forward.
If we are to keep Tanev, he should slot to a #3rd pairing role and maybe get 70 games in next year.
If by God's grace, Hughes turns out to be what the whole damn world is saying he will then maybe he slots in with Edler
on the #1 pairing next year, stay tuned.
Juolevi wont start skating till late August or early Sept. so in a perfect world, might get a look around X-mas.
Jett Woo? Real variable that could surprise, again, stay tuned?

Pettersson has some talents, (in the way he can read the game so fast), his name is being already mentioned with the greats.
I say this because it seems Boeser is being critiqued a little more on the critical side than he deserves.
That was a rough injury he had to get over and really didn't until about late November.
We had to expect a little of a come down to reality year,as the league is very aware of what he can do but at a 23rd first
round pick, HOLY HELL, this dude is good. I think he is a very smart player and we haven't seen the best of him yet.
fixed my own post.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

dangler wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am
Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am lil' trojan was again an embarrassment, I literally laughed out loud at his attempts to check Getzlaf the previous game and it was the same against the Kings bigger stronger forwards. He was treated like a gnat, he can not win a puck battle on the boards. The idiotic pinches and offensive zone forays still exist....but when Biega and Pouliot are your comparables, he must look Norris worthy. I think folks are confused because with Edler out, the lil trojan has been getting #1 unit pp time in the static - dish to brock, dish to elias, dish to brock, dish to elias. shoot. There is nothing to his shot and it is either wide or on the logo. He's useless as usual.

Markstrom is easily the most improved player on the team.

Pettersson is learning that defenders are terrified of him. If he has the sllghtest gap between him and a defender they will hesitate to watch for his next move, he's learning to use that time. JOHNNY_HOCKEY does it all the time to defenders and uses it to get an extra fake in forcing the miss.

Your trojan hate is clouding your judgement, Stetcher had a pretty good game, his shot could use a little more polishing, but it's far from horrid. Definitely top 4 calibre.

Marky MVP , Absafreakintootly

Boeser blows a few too many passes, but his sniping abilities compensates that ....for now
And waves his stick as players pass/skate around him.

And floats around our blueline.

And for all the "muscle" he put on in the summer doesn't overpower anyone along the boards.

But at the end of the day the best defense is a good offense.

Topper is correct though. Stetcher is only a hair above Pouliot. Seeing them side by side makes Stetcher look more talented than he is.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:13 am
If we are to keep Tanev, he should slot to a #rd pairing role and maybe get 70 games in next year.
If by God's grace, Hughes turns out to be what the whole damn world is saying he will then maybe he slots in with Edler
on the #1 pairing next year, stay tuned.
Hughes is Left side D, no??
If Gudbranson is still with the team in Oct., i imagine he'll be the 3rd pairing R side D
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carlyee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 am

Topper is correct though. Stetcher is only a hair above Pouliot. Seeing them side by side makes Stetcher look more talented than he is.
I guess both of them are a full wig above Gudbranson
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Are there things in Boeser’s game that need work? Yep

I’d like to see him work on his foot speed, especially those first few steps.

I’d like to see him drive to the net more and not do the buttonhook as much.

I’d like him to learn how to play better along the boards. He has this habit of back checking, literally backing into a check then swing his stick in a sweeping motion.

He still needs to improve his D play.

These developmental things are where they are in part because he didn’t go to Utica. He never will be in Utica. So he has to work this offseason to be ready for camp. Da Beauty league isn’t enough to get ready for the NHL. Hopefully he won’t have to nurse injuries or recover from surgery so he can have a productive off season. If he just improves his skating ala Bo that alone will help his game.

He skipped some key developmental time in the AHL because of his wicked shot and ability to score. We desperately needed that and the excitement that came along with that so he stayed. Given his production it’s hard to make and sustain a case he should have gone to Utica but I think it would have helped him. Now, he is showing some different looks. Playing alongside Pettersson has helped his game. He’s also playing the wall more trying to free the puck up for Pettersson. So he’s a work in progress.

There are times I get that Bertuzzi frustration when I see him float. I think 1-2 really good off seasons working on some shit will help. I’ll be choked if he shows up to camp not ready to go.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am

You are certifiably insane if you think Pouliot is a better d-man than the Guds.

Stetcher is still worse than the Guds but he shows flashes of mediocrity sprinkled in with his general ineptitude. He should have stuck to lacrosse.

All things being equal, if 10 teams with 5 defensemen looking for a 6th had their choice of any of the three. 10 out of 10 would take Eric Gudbranson.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carlyee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:04 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am

You are certifiably insane if you think Pouliot is a better d-man than the Guds.

Stetcher is still worse than the Guds but he shows flashes of mediocrity sprinkled in with his general ineptitude. He should have stuck to lacrosse.

All things being equal, if 10 teams with 5 defensemen looking for a 6th had their choice of any of the three. 10 out of 10 would take Eric Gudbranson.
I kid about Pouliott of course but you are a meth head thats gouged his own eyes out if you think Gudbranson is a better player than Stecher. And the other 21 teams would take Stecher