GDT: 10/01/19, Coyotes vs Canucks, 7:00pm, SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: 10/01/19, Coyotes vs Canucks, 7:00pm, SNETP

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Little concerned right now. The Yotes are really a team we should be getting 2 pts from, yet we trailed them most of the game and were lucky to get the single pt. The Nucks worked themselves into a nice position to try to secure a wildcard spot, but right at the moment when they have the chance to seize the opportunity, they're showing signs of falling apart again.

I have 2 concerns with the team right now:

1) The offense definitely is not the same without Petey. No one is really stepping up to carry the team right now, BoHo and Brockstar have been very quiet. Those 2 really should be stepping up to carry the load in Petey's absence. Bearcheese stepped up tonite, but we need more guys to do it. It's really starting to look like we need Petey back sooner than later for any legitimate chance at a wildcard spot. January is really a make or break month with the homestand and lots of winnable games. If we fall out of contention, we might as well go into tank mode.

2) Marky Mark is coming back down to earth again. He was at his best when Nilsson was his backup. Not sure if it was because in his mind there was a guy who could push him and take the #1 job or if it was just that Nilsson was his good buddy who made him feel good. Maybe both. We've seen this show b4 as Marky was pretty average when Nilsson was injured and there was no other legitimate goaltender. Could Demko be that guy? I have my doubts with his performance at pre-season, guess we'll find out soon.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It sure looks like EP is the canucks offense. Period.

What i find disturbing is how fucking aweful they are to watch without him dressed. Nobody has any moves or dangles it seems except a few slow motion ones from Brock.

I dont get the same vibe about marky. That gwg was a perfect shot.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hughes will definitely help out in the skill department but it’s becoming quite clear with the absence of Petey that we have terrible depth in high end skill players who can make shit happen. Bo is a good complimentary 2nd line centre to Petey but we can’t expect the creativity to come from him in Peteys absence
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:16 am It sure looks like EP is the canucks offense. Period.

What i find disturbing is how fucking aweful they are to watch without him dressed. Nobody has any moves or dangles it seems except a few slow motion ones from Brock.

Watching Brockstar do anything other than shoot the puck is painful. He really cannot carry anything on his own. He needs someone that can actually skate faster than a half dead slug.

Need to focus on the Jackpot 2019 Draft.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Carlyee wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:16 am It sure looks like EP is the canucks offense. Period.

Watching Brockstar do anything other than shoot the puck is painful. He really cannot carry anything on his own. He needs someone that can actually skate faster than a half dead slug.

I am of the opinion that we need 1 more top 6 piece. I am hopeful that we will drop in move up in the draft lottery and pick top 3. The right selection there would cement our forward prospects. Hughes and Joulevi living up to their billing would help us secure our D for the future.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

One team showed up ready to skate, it wasn't the Canucks though. Dismal effort by all except maybe Jake and Tanev.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

OT. The point is to score, not defend. So why Sutter? Why Granlund? Why not Goldobin? Why not give Gaudette a try at least.

Yes, unless and until someone like Dahlin shows he’s NHL material, or Lind, or or or, we are light in the top six. I liked Baertschi’s game. Yes, Horvat should be that centre that leads our secondary scoring line.

This is a good year for figuring it all out. The playoffs would be a bonus but as our line up shows, we still have a lot of players on the roster who need to be gone. Being on the outside may help Benning to decide to take whatever scraps he can get for the likes of Pouliot, Del Zotto, Schaller, Granlund.

Would love to get lucky and get some offers for Sutter, Ericksson.
The only HW the Canucks need
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Carlyee wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am

It's looking like this is going to be a recovery season for Boeser. Whatever injuries he had seem to have lingering effects,plus I suspect his off season training was less than necessary (perhaps for the same reason).
This period without Eli is actually beneficial in that it makes the rest of the forwards more accountable for their lack of scoring. Sure they're "playing the game right" and "battling hard", but they're not getting results without goals.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am OT. The point is to score, not defend. So why Sutter? Why Granlund? Why not Goldobin? Why not give Gaudette a try at least.

Yes, unless and until someone like Dahlin shows he’s NHL material, or Lind, or or or, we are light in the top six. I liked Baertschi’s game. Yes, Horvat should be that centre that leads our secondary scoring line.

This is a good year for figuring it all out. The playoffs would be a bonus but as our line up shows, we still have a lot of players on the roster who need to be gone. Being on the outside may help Benning to decide to take whatever scraps he can get for the likes of Pouliot, Del Zotto, Schaller, Granlund.

Would love to get lucky and get some offers for Sutter, Ericksson.
Ya, that point about go for the kill in OT is right on! What the hell is the point of a defensive OT?
I think Dangler is correct too in that Brock is still in a sort of recovery mode. I look back at that incident and he's lucky he still has a career.
I give credit to RD for being the first, I think, to point out something is wrong with Bo.
I am hesitant to make assumptions though. Conditioning makes no sense at all. Neither does desire.
It came very suddenly, if you think about it, and I think this is one that may go unanswered for public consumption.
My guess is, it passes and he'll be fine. FFS, we know this kid and the desire he has.
"evolution"
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Someone said they thought Bo had the flu over the holidays.
Don't know if there's any truth to it??
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dangler wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:54 am Someone said they thought Bo had the flu over the holidays.
Don't know if there's any truth to it??
He was sick over the holidays but he also got hit by a puck in a practice or a game day skate about a week ago that felled him. Speculation is that his fatigue was due to illness but he MAY have suffered an undisclosed injury when he got hit by the puck. He's actually not playing bad. He's not that offensive playmaker. He never was. He's a bull in a china shop hard to the net type of guy. His game is north/south.

Perhaps part of it is he has a redefine a role for himself. Last season he was the heir apparent to the top line centre position. This season, early with all the injuries, he was called upon to be that shutdown guy. Now he is somewhere in between. When Pettersson gets back, and if Baertschi, Boeser, Virtanen stay healthy, then Bo should find himself with two pretty good line mates, offensive pressure placed back on Pettersson"s line and the defensive responsibilities back on Sutter and Beagle. He may suddenly have more room out there to make things happen.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I like Bo but he’s becoming a one trick pony. Regarding his fitness he’s always battled with his stamina per shift, he’s always winded after one good skate, and then becomes pretty feeble. It might be due to trying to hard. He’s going to have to find a new move beyond his patented bull rush around the defender, the book is out
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

He damn well better be winded after every shift. Every player should be.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 am Pffffft... Ignitowski has only had five years to get a decent defenceman for fuck sakes. Wake me up when he acquires one.
Jimmy took over a team without the assets to acquire top 4 defencemen.

Well eventually he increased the asset pool enough to acquire one: Gudbranson.

We've been over this ground many times: Gudbranson is a solid #4 with the right partner.

(you loved the trade... McCann + 2nd... until you changed you opinion and began to bitch-bitch-bitch about assets given up)

(Lord only knows how much you'd bitch-bitch-bitch about the assets given up if he acquired a better one)

(that's right, you bitch-bitch-bitch about not acquiring one and you bitch-bitch-bitch about assets given up if one is acquired)

(you bitch)

Since then Lord Benning has also drafted at least 4 potential top-4 guys in Hughes, Juolevi, Tree, and Woo.

Show a little patience Mr Can't Handle A Rebuild...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 am One team showed up ready to skate, it wasn't the Canucks though. Dismal effort by all except maybe Jake and Tanev.
... and Baertschi, and Gaudette (who should have been rewarded with more icetime imo).

Also thought the overall effort increased as the game went on.
____
Try to focus on someday.