GDT: Canucks vs Pens, Oct.16/18, 4:00pm, SN1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

GDT: Canucks vs Pens, Oct.16/18, 4:00pm, SN1

Post by Mickey107 »

Last game, as it turned out; I couldn't have cared less about the 2 points.
Now, I want 4 points in three days!
Pens riding about the same stats as us. Unfortunately there is a "but" to that statement now.
EP is staying with the team, so, give him something to smile about.

Nilsson Starts again.

Monday practice lines for the #Canucks:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Gaudette-Eriksson
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Granlund-Motte
Leipsic

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Pouliot-Stecher
Del Zotto

So this is not in stone yet.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Pens, Oct.16/18, 4:00pm, SN1

Post by Hockey Widow »

The good and bad implications with that line up.

Gaudette gets a chance at top six sliding in taking Pettersson’s spot. That the good.

Gaudette sliding taking Pettersson’s spot implies he’s filling in for Pettersson so when Pettersson is good to go, so is Gaudette. That’s the bad.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

But Beagle is out LT so he could still stay if he shows well, no?

Now, here's a bunchastuff. Hey, I didn't write it.

STATS/TSX
It's only a couple weeks into the season, yet when the Vancouver Canucks meet the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday at PPG Paints Arena, one of the main story lines for both clubs will revolve around injuries.

The Penguins (2-1-1) lost one of their top two-way defensemen when Justin Schultz had surgery Sunday for a broken lower left leg. He was hurt Saturday when he apparently got his skate stuck in a rut on the ice while falling and is expected to miss four months.

"It's a huge loss for us, especially what he brings, the role he plays in tons of aspects of our team," fellow Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang said Monday. "He stabilizes the whole (defensive) corps."

The Penguins still appeared to be looking at potential defensive pairings beyond the top tandem of Letang and Brian Dumoulin.

"We have capable NHL defensemen, so I'm confident that we can put guys in that I know can help us win games," Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. "(Schultz) is not an easy guy to replace. He's a very good player and has been very good for us for a long time. So it's a tough loss from our standpoint, but certainly we've got to be prepared with the guys that we have."

Schultz has four assists in four games this season. Last season, he had four goals, 27 points in 63 games.

It seems likely that Juuso Riikola will find a regular spot on the Penguins defense for the foreseeable future.

Pittsburgh's other injury news is more positive for them. No. 1 goaltender Matt Murray, who got a concussion Oct. 8 in practice, could start against Vancouver. He served as Casey DeSmith's backup Saturday in a 4-3 shootout against the Canadiens.

"It's hard to know with injuries like that, but it's no fun to have those injuries, either, so I was happy with how quickly it resolved," said Murray, who has had three concussions during his NHL career, two this calendar year.

"We are excited that he is healthy," Sullivan said. "It's great for our team. It's great for Matt. It's certainly encouraging that it didn't linger or last for a significant amount of time."

Vancouver (3-2), which practiced Monday in Pittsburgh, will be without promising rookie Elias Pettersson and veteran Jay Beagle.

Pettersson has a concussion after taking a hit Saturday from Florida's Mike Matheson, who was suspended for two games by the NHL department of player safety.

"He's doing better," Canucks coach Travis Green said Monday. "Better yesterday. Better today again."

Pettersson has five goals, eight points, leading Vancouver in both categories. He is expected to miss at least the next two games.

"It's tough to see an injury like that ... (to) a player like that, who's if not our best player, one of the best players in the league right now in my opinion," Canucks forward Bo Horvat told NHL.com.

Beagle is expected to miss six weeks because of a broken forearm he sustained blocking a shot.

Green noted that Beagle's injury has been overshadowed by Pettersson's injury and the Matheson hit. Beagle has one assist.

"It got lost in this a little bit," Green said. "He's also a big part of the group."

Vancouver recalled forward Adam Gaudette from Utica of the American Hockey League.

The Penguins recalled forward Derek Grant from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton while returning goaltender Tristan Jarry, who had been on an emergency recall. Pittsburgh has not yet replaced Schultz on the roster.
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am The good and bad implications with that line up.

Gaudette gets a chance at top six sliding in taking Pettersson’s spot. That the good.

Gaudette sliding taking Pettersson’s spot implies he’s filling in for Pettersson so when Pettersson is good to go, so is Gaudette. That’s the bad.
Well, I guess it's up to Gaudette to make it hard for the team to send him down. Setting up Eriksson for a goal or two would help a lot.

The fact that Pettersson is still with the team for the rest of the trip rather than back in Van bodes well for his recovery. If it's 7-10 days that's been mentioned on this board, we could see him back against Boston??? Which means Gaudette has two games.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does Gawd stick until Beagle is fetched?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Opposition
Forwards

Derick Brassard - Sidney Crosby - Jake Guentzel

Carl Hagelin - Evgeni Malkin - Phil Kessel

Bryan Rust - Riley Sheahan - Patric Hornqvist

Dominik Simon - Matt Cullen - Daniel Sprong

Defence

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang

Jack Johnson - Jamie Oleksiak

Olli Maatta - Jusso Riikola

Starting Goalie: Casey DeSmith
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Penguins 3 Canucks1
No Pettersson, No Beagle = No chance
5 t0 1 if Nillson melts down
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:17 am Does Gawd stick until Beagle is fetched?

He certainly has a great opportunity to show he should stay. If Beagle is placed on IR a roster spot would be open. They risked losing Biega to waivers to protect Motte and Leipsic. I doubt they want to waive either of those two yet.

But, as long as Beagle is out there will be an opportunity but when Pettersson returns Gaudette would be bumped down. It’s the same old discussion. Is he better served getting top minutes in Utica or bottom six revolving door.

I think if he shows he belongs Benning will make room.he didn’t quite do enough to unseed Motte or Leipsic but has has a golden opportunity to do so now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Green was asked, why Gaudette with call up and top six. His response, because I want to see what he’s got. Went on to add he’s a piece of the future and we need to get players like him rotating in, get them ready, it’s time. I like this new attitude. When we need to recall a player, recall a piece of the future. With this philosophy we should see Dalin and Juolevi at some point. Perhaps Demko too.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

AH FFS, NOT ANOTHER VANCOUVER GOAL !

Don't worry, it hasn't started yet. Just me hoping.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Our #1C and depth C injured this season and we still have Horvat, Sutter, Gaudette and Grans down the middle. :thumbs:

Last year in December we had Gagner, Chaput and Dowd down the middle.

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Goldobin-Chaput-Virtanen
Gaunce-Dowd-Granlund
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

De Boeser almost beat De Smith
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm De Boeser almost beat De Smith
if only it was De beauty league.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Does anyone know the definition of tripping? If so, please email the NHL.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

De Smith stops De Virtanen.