Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks @ Panthers 7:00 PM ET SN1, FS-F

Post by Mickey107 »

Do they give penalties for making players look like stationary pylons which is what Elias did to Matheson? No.
So Matheson goes after him with the mentality; "You little prick! You make me look stupid. Take this and take this."
How about OUR COACH, sends 2 or 3 willing combatants out onto the ice, the next shift he has, surround him, close in and
beat him till his face looks like the Oak Street bridge after a freeze up.
Apparently Matheson and his woman had to turn off their devises because of threat stuff. OH WELL, shit happens.

We wont even get a sniff at the guy Jan 13th, no way.
Yes, EP is light but he took the hit just fine. He could be 30 pounds heavier and the throw down would've done the same or worse.
Travis Greens comments are weak. Damn weak. He could've come down way harder without fear of fines.

If this is team bonding, I don't like the new ways.
Should get them all playing that old 2000 s Super Smash Brothers game :twisted:

The league wants excitement but they feel no obligation to come down hard on dirty plays on star players.
When a team invokes "the code", that's what they come down on. Why?

At this point, people that feel as I and RD and many others are in a 77% majority. Notable.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 am You don’t need gorilla knuckle draggers, anybody can lay out a hit ffs. Virtanen should have been assigned by Green to take a run at Trocheck. Anything!
Sure, and the Canucks get a penalty and possibly lose the game. Personally, if they got a good lick on the guy I probably wouldn’t mind tossing an inter-conference game in a nothing season. But I can see why Green would give the message he did. He’s paid to win games. And honestly, with the roster he has, it’s not like he could take the game into the gutter if he wanted to.

I think what a lot of people would prefer is to have a team where Mattheson thinks twice about making that play in the first place, because he knows someone is going to hurt him (or a taleammate) for it.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

micky107 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am Yes, EP is light but he took the hit just fine. He could be 30 pounds heavier and the throw down would've done the same or worse.
I have a lot of experience and theoretical background regarding body slams.

Yes, if EP had been 30 pounds heavier, the same throw down would have meant that EP had much more energy to absorb when he hit the ice. However, if that 30 pounds were all muscle, it would also have provided a little more padding for his skeleton, and allowed him to hit the ice in a better position. It also would have been much, much harder to do at all.

Other posters have told me that hockey fighting is an unteachable skill. It's not a typical martial art, so I don't have direct evidence to the contrary. I will assure you all, though, that landing when getting thrown is very much a teachable skill. Maybe they should invest in at least that much cross-training.

Most of the hope the Canucks have of being good again in the next 10 years rests on EP's slender shoulders, so it is clearly very much in their interest to protect him. Matheson probably wasn't thinking very deeply, so I'm not sure awareness that he or his teammates would be targeted for retribution would have stopped him and protected Pettersson. Wiser to supplement any protection EP gets from his own teammates with some skills to protect himself.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I was thinking during the game how well Petterson was absorbing hits. He'd spin out of them, going with the force of the contact. It's the difference between driving over the center line and colliding vs. A lane change accident where cars are moving in the same direction.

On this hit, he got the can opener. He couldn't spin out of it, because the stick was wedged between his legs. And he couldn't spin away because matheson's left arm was around him.

Petterson's relative size made it easier, but without the can opener, this probably doesn't happen. It is as dirty as a slew foot. It was dangerous, it was intentional, it was not a hockey play, and it resulted in injury. I see no reason why this play should not get the same type of review as head hunting. That a player was using the ice instead of his elbow to make contact with the head nakes no difference. The ice is hard and can end careers. Ask Pat Lafontaine.

As for the lack of a response, the players were following the coach's orders. It's on Green. Nevertheless, Elder was hacking Brower the entire next shift. Watch it. Matheson, of course, wasnt on the ice.

But the idea that heavies protect stars is overblown. The fact is that heavies did stuff all the time to stand up for the stars. Because players were still running at the stars. The "code" says go after Matheson; the mafia knows better. Their target would be Trochek.
Hono_rary Canadian
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 am You don’t need gorilla knuckle draggers, anybody can lay out a hit ffs. Virtanen should have been assigned by Green to take a run at Trocheck. Anything!
Sure, and the Canucks get a penalty and possibly lose the game. Personally, if they got a good lick on the guy I probably wouldn’t mind tossing an inter-conference game in a nothing season. But I can see why Green would give the message he did. He’s paid to win games. And honestly, with the roster he has, it’s not like he could take the game into the gutter if he wanted to.
exactly,and if the ref isn't going to make that call,chances are he would call a penalty on the Canucks for anything remotely retaliatory. I'm not even pissed at Mattheson or Green. This is all on the ref.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Even if the ref called 2 minutes for roughing - the team still should have made a statement. 5 games in, to what should be an amazing career and this piece of shit body slams the rookie for making him look like a fool (which really wasn't that hard to do).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:41 amI will assure you all, though, that landing when getting thrown is very much a teachable skill. Maybe they should invest in at least that much cross-training.
While they're at it, maybe Daniel can give the team some lessons on how to get speedbagged without getting hurt.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lol!

Team chemistry is forged in battle. Nothing would've bonded this core like a brawl over that hit. The one to start it would've become heart and sole. This is the missing element of the current core.

Balls's. Big hairy balls's
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Late last night, I spent a few minutes reading comments from Florida hockey boards.
Even their HF board is almost obnoxiously polite.
A very different hockey market there, to be sure. (relocation one day).
Anyway, from their hockey fandom core, they are not pleased with Matheson, (the hit nary got mentioned).
What was prevalent was how disappointed they are in his development and progress as a player.
They have been coming down on him.

Connect the dots?
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm Lol!

Team chemistry is forged in battle. Nothing would've bonded this core like a brawl over that hit. The one to start it would've become heart and sole. This is the missing element of the current core.

+1 hairy ball
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

According to the leadership group on the team the only way to bond is through team meals.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Reefer2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 pm

+1 hairy ball
100% right. The message the young guys ( and the rest of the league ) got is .. Your on your own. No one is going to help you .. Welcome to " Team Chickenshit ...
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m just not seeing that kind of character (yet) with this group. Say what you will about Burrows, like his style or not, the guy had character., as well as Dorsett. You’re just not going to get that kind of push back from the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen etc. Roussel is too new and Gudbranson, he doesn’t care enough, phones it in pretty much. The culture still needs a ton of work here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Benjo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm According to the leadership group on the team the only way to bond is through team meals.
Lol I think you're on to something. Maybe more Fortnite to bring out the violent tendencies.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm

I’m just not seeing that kind of character (yet) with this group. Say what you will about Burrows, like his style or not, the guy had character., as well as Dorsett. You’re just not going to get that kind of push back from the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen etc. Roussel is too new and Gudbranson, he doesn’t care enough, phones it in pretty much. The culture still needs a ton of work here.
From what i see Quinn Hughes is a chippy little fucker who can play. Theres your heart and soul guy to lead us out of this pussified vajaycation
If you need air...call it in