GDT 06-Oct-18: Canucks @ Flames 19:00 PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT 06-Oct-18: Canucks @ Flames 19:00 PST

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Per wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm Definitely better than Penner! :lol:
Google translate thinks the English translation of Swedish Penner is "Penner"

What joke am I missing ?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:01 am
I’ve finally accepted the fact that Virtanen is not top 6 material
Yeahbut...hes finally found an angle to his game where he can actually be an nhl player and an asset. Until this year i havent seen anything from him indicating that he has a hope of being a regular
Virt looks like a good 3rd liner right now. Tom Wilson spun his wheels for a few years as a third fourth liner, I think virt will eventually be a 2nd liner but it’ll take time.
Raffi Torres might be a fair comparable
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:53 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:31 pm I was excited to Boeser get going, but after the pre-season - I have to say I haven't been more exited about a rookie since Bure.
You're bang on there corn. This kid has top 5 center in the league written all over him...without winning a lotto to get him it should silence critics on JB drafting
Not sure how you can reconcile these two statements. This isn't the thread for it, but this critic still isn't silenced. I'll plan to revisit this later in a more suitable forum.

In the mean time, you may wish to note that Kuzma wants to give much of the credit for Pettersson to Delorme (who pre-dates Benning). From the quote in the article, Benning seems willing to share the credit.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... raft-radar

Of course, being gracious and magnanimous to subordinates in one's organization is also good management, but still not genius credentials.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If EP is already drawing comparisons to Sakic and Datsyuk....thats putting him in franchise center territory with a 6th(?) overall pick. Not bad.

Add in Boeser in the 20s and theres a trend forming.

Never mind Hughes yet...

Maybe Jimmy is maturing as a gm? Why cant that be a thing?
If you need air...call it in
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 pm If EP is already drawing comparisons to Sakic and Datsyuk....thats putting him in franchise center territory with a 6th(?) overall pick. Not bad.
EP was drafted 5th.

For real genius drafting, Sakic was drafted 15th, and Datsyuk was drafted 171st.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 pm Maybe Jimmy is maturing as a gm? Why cant that be a thing?
Actually, that is the position towards which I have been moving, myself.

I note, though, that a hockey management genius would be at the height of his powers and ready to take the NHL by storm by the time Benning was hired at age 51.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 pm
Per wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm Definitely better than Penner! :lol:
Google translate thinks the English translation of Swedish Penner is "Penner"

What joke am I missing ?
Penner is also German. It means hobo, bum, homeless - someone sleeping in the streets.
It's an insult, but fairly mild. You could eg yell "EH, Penner, mach Platzt!" at someone blocking your lane in traffic.
Or if a collegue is unshaven or falls asleep during a meeting, you could call him a Penner.

I find it hilarious that someone actually has it as his/her name. :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:02 pm For real genius drafting, Sakic was drafted 15th, and Datsyuk was drafted 171st.
Yeah, both Datsyuk and Zetterberg (drafted at 210th) were steals.
Both were scouted by Håkan Andersson, but I think back then the Red Wings were far more serious than the other NHL teams about their European drafting. Since then other teams have picked up the slack, and I think it would be harder to find diamonds in the rough like that today.
Formerly a fishing guide, he was hired as a scout by the Red Wings in 1990. Since then he has won four Stanley Cup Championships as a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization, in 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008. Andersson, based in Stockholm, Sweden, scouts all over Europe including Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Russia, and has been responsible for the Red Wings drafting Tomas Holmström, Valtteri Filppula, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzén, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Gustav Nyquist, Tomáš Tatar, and many others.

His scouting and player evaluation, along with that of former Director of Amateur Scouting Joe McDonnell and former Assistant General Manager Jim Nill, has been credited by Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland as the reason for the long term success of the Red Wings, specifically the ability of the team to find talented players late in the draft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5ka ... ce_hockey)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If detroits brass were the drafting genius's in 98 then why didnt they pick him until 171? What about all the rubbish they picked in the first 6 rounds?

Drafting is darts. You start off close to the board and step farther and farther back as the rounds go by

Oh and who is flogging this label genius anyway? Was that the dude or doc? Come on RG we all know they're the Benning fluffers around here.
If you need air...call it in