GDT 03-Oct-18: Canucks vs Flames 19:00 PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT 03-Oct-18: Canucks vs Flames 19:00 PST

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Take the win and enjoyed the show but team defense was pretty well non-existent. The score flattered the canucks big time...
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Just a thing of beauty - a calm, perfect play by a kid in his first game.

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 am enjoyed the show
That's a key element. The Canucks are, after all, ultimately in the entertainment business, and I found this game more entertaining than most that they played last season. I think as long as we continue to get flashes of brilliance from the younger players, the losses that pile up in the doldrums of the season will not be too hard to take. That is to say, the fanbase can handle a rebuild, as long as the games remain fun to watch.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Flames forecheck pressure keeping all their D in should have opened opportunities for all those great first pass Canuck defenders.

For a brief time late in the first period, after Garrison's hit on Dube (after Oct 17th is that a penalty?) and his beat down of Hamonic, the Flames were very tentative moving through the neutral zone. Now we learn that Garrison went to Dube between periods and apologized for making him look like the rookie carelessly moving through the neutral zone that he was.

Pond hockey offence continues.

I still don't get what people are seeing that BROCKEY_HOCKEY is slow this season. He is getting the increased attention he received post All Star game and is having the same results. Welcome to the top line.

Lil trojan continues his irresponsible offencive forays with the same chances going the other way as his d partner and forwards scramble to cover.

The Beagle line with Jake will be interesting to watch. Jake seemed to grow a pair as the night wore on.

Impressive thing with Eli was the way he does not give up after being knocked off the puck. yeah he's a light weight, but he's battling. As defenders start to key on him more, it will be interesting to see haw he does.

Markstrom was the saviour. Smith is still Smith.

Flames were amazingly inept. While Vancouver kept them mainly to the perimeter, being outshot like that night in night out is not a recipe for success. Comes back to the pond hockey offence needing to change, work as a team and control the puck.

Fun watching the commentators rave about the new coaching and lineup for the Flames as Spiny Norman seethes in the corner.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am Pettersson seems to pass like a Sedin and shoot like Naslund. That’s a nice package.
Word.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am Pettersson seems to pass like a Sedin and shoot like Naslund. That’s a nice package.
More importantly, Pettersson skates well. If, and only if he can pack another 20 lbs of muscles... :mrgreen:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am Garrison
:lol:

Ya he's pretty rough.
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

EP goal was impressive but his pass was a thing of beauty.

Top - great write up, I just laugh every time you talk about Stetcher, that is like me with Edler.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

People really need to give up the Pettersson weight issue, he’s in that Gaudreau, Keller, Marner, Point, highly skilled small players category who have become common place in the new NHL now. People assume because he’s 6’-2” he should be built like Ryan Getzlaf or something. Get over it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 am People really need to give up the Pettersson weight issue, he’s in that Gaudreau, Keller, Marner, Point, highly skilled small players category who have become common place in the new NHL now. People assume because he’s 6’-2” he should be built like Ryan Getzlaf or something. Get over it.
But he will put on man muscle in the next 1-3 years dude
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am
Topper wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am Garrison
:lol:

Ya he's pretty rough.
Garrison is too chilled to throw them. A big Crescent Beach flip flops softie. Topper is out to lunch with that comparison
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 am People really need to give up the Pettersson weight issue, he’s in that Gaudreau, Keller, Marner, Point, highly skilled small players category who have become common place in the new NHL now. People assume because he’s 6’-2” he should be built like Ryan Getzlaf or something. Get over it.
I’m saying his skill set and IQ put him on those players I mentiined, level. It doesn’t matter if he is slight, but yeah he will add man weight the older he gets but players like him, it doesn’t matter. 20 years ago it would have mattered...maybe.

The kid is damn smart. Everyone talks about his goals but I’m more impressed with his ice vision (he knows where everyone is on the ice as soon as he gets the puck), confidence, poise, passing, 200’ game and IQ
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am
I’m saying his skill set and IQ put him on those players I mentiined, level. It doesn’t matter if he is slight, but yeah he will add man weight the older he gets but players like him, it doesn’t matter. 20 years ago it would have mattered...maybe.

The kid is damn smart. Everyone talks about his goals but I’m more impressed with his ice vision (he knows where everyone is on the ice as soon as he gets the puck), confidence, poise, passing, 200’ game and IQ
Sure, weight is not a big issue for smart and skilled players. However, it would only help Pettersson to become a better player if he has an extra 10 or 20 lbs.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am It doesn’t matter if he is slight
If it doesn't matter whether or not Pettersson is strong and robust in the first half of the regular season in 2018 -- and it might not -- that doesn't guarantee that it won't become vitally important if he ever gets to play late in playoffs. In my ideal league it might only be a threat to his effectiveness, not his health, but we have all noted deficiencies and paradigm shifts in NHL officiating before.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

Exactly. I don't recall people wringing their hands for the entirety of Wayne Gretzky's career because he was $1.75 at a time when the league was full of monsters. People couldn't touch the guy, even if they tried. He was too smart and too evasive. And don't carry on about Semenko. Gretzky didn't need Semenko's staged fights to be the best of all time.

What impresses me about Petterson is how great he is defensively as well as his sublime offensive skill set.