GDT: April 5/18 Second last game, ever, for the Sedin twins vs Arizona. 7 PM. Somewhere on SN.

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: April 5/18 Second last game, ever, for the Sedin twins vs Arizona. 7 PM. Somewhere on SN.

Post by Hockey Widow »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 am 33 - 22 face offs

Daniel kinda spoiled the numbers kismet with his 23rd goal but then again is there not a more perfect 2-digit number (just better not score on Sat)? Not to mention the significance of their 3rd brother on the team, who appropriately wears 23, and no better guy to get the other assist on both goals.

The only thing left they coulda done is grabbed Murph's mic and dropped it.

....bah, the entire night was one big symbolic mic drop.

I think we are being punked by the NHL stats guys!
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: April 5/18 Second last game, ever, for the Sedin twins vs Arizona. 7 PM. Somewhere on SN.

Post by Mickey107 »

Flash back to Saturday's game and the first was looking good then Danny jumps on the ice and right away takes a bad penalty.
10 seconds later, I post "Retire, Please" Then Monday morning came. Oops. Actually, more like Ouch.
Didn't know which way to feel.
I'm sure this will be no surprise, but I don't quite or totally buy all the public consumption fodder dished out. At least not word for word.
There was a short dressing room clip, (interview):
Question: One more year?
Answer: One? TWO!
A joke? I don't think so. What I mean is, It's my belief, or hunch, that this story is not over.
It's definitely over in Vancouver for sure. But not over.
Or hey! Maybe I'm just too suspicious.

Side note: That one woman on Sportsnet that always wears a red top and often wears big black glasses. ?
She reminds me of Tuna. May as well have a caption on her T-shirt saying; I'm from Toronto and I only report on other cities when they make me.
"evolution"
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Things happen for a reason. Now we know why Brock got injured...so a Sedin can finish their career winning a team scoring title again one last time. One point for Dank on Sat seals it, perhaps Hank can put up 6 pts to go 1, 2. Brock/Elias can own it after that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Dank was saying they felt for sure they could play one, two more years.

They are retiring because they are tired I think. This team has no reasonable chance of being a contender within the next two seasons. They don’t want to be mentors without the reward being there. They have both said they were pretty sure in Nov this would be their last year but wanted to see how the season went, how things unfolded. Hank said as the season wore on the decision to retire felt more right. Translation, it was another shitty year and no true prospect of it turning around in 1-2 years.

So they are done. I think they both feel if it felt right they could play 1-2 more years but it doesn’t feel right whereas retiring does. They leave the game on their terms, not washed up stars hanging onto a hope and a prayer.

Plus,apparently, Dank is a big family man and his oldest just turned 13. He wants to be a dad while his kids are young so if playing is a struggle.....

As Swedes, I highly doubt this is a ploy to sign elsewhere. If they wanted to play the Canucks would re-sign them. Their just done.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Got a bit of a close-up shot of Hutton and it looks as though he's put on way lots of weight.
Won't say fat, but fat.
Conditioning? Could it be that simple?
"evolution"
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

A great goodbye from the Sedins to their fans and visa versa. Cinderella finish . Bo and Jake both with good goals to offset Goldies bad plays.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

A few onions got chopped here last night......damn!! Maybe the hockey gawds are finally smiling on us? That could not have been written any better. There had to be divine intervention.....right???
A fun game to watch for sure!!
I’ll miss 22 and 33
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:51 am I think Dank was saying they felt for sure they could play one, two more years.

They are retiring because they are tired I think. This team has no reasonable chance of being a contender within the next two seasons. They don’t want to be mentors without the reward being there. They have both said they were pretty sure in Nov this would be their last year but wanted to see how the season went, how things unfolded. Hank said as the season wore on the decision to retire felt more right. Translation, it was another shitty year and no true prospect of it turning around in 1-2 years.

So they are done. I think they both feel if it felt right they could play 1-2 more years but it doesn’t feel right whereas retiring does. They leave the game on their terms, not washed up stars hanging onto a hope and a prayer.

Plus,apparently, Dank is a big family man and his oldest just turned 13. He wants to be a dad while his kids are young so if playing is a struggle.....

As Swedes, I highly doubt this is a ploy to sign elsewhere. If they wanted to play the Canucks would re-sign them. Their just done.
Agree HW.

82 games is gruelling enough for a 24 year old let alone a 37 year old.

They could of played 1 more season but I for one am glad they are hanging them up while they are still playing very well. Remember Messier in his last few years, God he was awful to watch.

1 door closes and another 1 opens.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am They could of played 1 more season but I for one am glad they are hanging them up while they are still playing very well. Remember Messier in his last few years, God he was awful to watch.
Mixed on that. While nice to see them go out on top, it's kind of a painful reminder of what we'll be missing. It'd almost be better to see them leave knowing without doubt they can't do it anymore. Not that there was a whole lot of Sedinary these past few years but they did bring it from time to time and it was on full display last night. It won't take long before it hits us how much we'll miss it...likely the 1st couple power plays come October. We'll all be saying damn where are the Twins, remember the Twins, remember how they used to own the puck?

Mess had no history for us and flat out sucked, though he did rub off positively on a few players apparently.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Remember Linden? He still hadn’t announced he was retiring when the Canucks started all those tributes his last game. He wasn’t 100% decided to retire then the handshake thing happened. A lot of people felt the Canucks gave that final push through the door. He himself even joked about it a few weeks later.

The twins did it their way.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 pm Remember Linden? He still hadn’t announced he was retiring when the Canucks started all those tributes his last game. He wasn’t 100% decided to retire then the handshake thing happened. A lot of people felt the Canucks gave that final push through the door. He himself even joked about it a few weeks later.

Yes that's true, and I don't want to sully it in any way, it was great.
Anyone heard any estimates of how much money the organization raked in on those last 2 home games?
Probably rivals a couple of the games in round four in 2011. (Plus inflation).
So like that's 8-) all the way around. :idea:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 pm Remember Linden? He still hadn’t announced he was retiring when the Canucks started all those tributes his last game. He wasn’t 100% decided to retire then the handshake thing happened. A lot of people felt the Canucks gave that final push through the door. He himself even joked about it a few weeks later.

Yes and i remember we got beat in the playoffs that year. Luongo played his best games ever .. Linden scored the most goals ohf any Canuck . Ohlund was second in Canuck scoring. So even if Canucks management kinda gave him the push, he did end his career wih class
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Yes and i remember we got beat in the playoffs that year. Luongo played his best games ever .. Linden scored the most goals ohf any Canuck . Ohlund was second in Canuck scoring. So even if Canucks management kinda gave him the push, he did end his career wih class