Hawks @ Nucks. 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Hawks @ Nucks. 7pm

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see Gauncer get a couple, would have been great to see him get the hatty; he was pretty close. Nothing fancy with his goals, just keeping it simple and smart. Keeping his head up to look for the openings b4 he shoots and going hard to the net with his stick down. With BoHo, Brockstar and even Jake getting most of the attention as our current young guns on the roster, Gauncer can quietly go under the radar and work on his game. His footspeed seems to be getting better. Maybe BoHo gave him some tips or introduced him to his power skating instructor. *hehe* Hopefully Gaunce can continue to develop and become an elite 2-way player with some power to his game. :P
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

rats19 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 pm Ya know-owww...string a few wins together and we are in the wild card race!
Yeah shitty draft position :thumbs:

Too soon dude... next year ok
+1
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm Doc not everyone has our vision and patience.
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm Stop spewing Bubbles Negative crap. We could creep into a wild card spot no problem, Bo is back ffs!
You speak of vision and patience, but are unwilling to forego a chance to be eliminated in the first round for a chance to draft a player who projects to be the cornerstone of a playoff team for a decade. I find this position incongruous.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm Gaunce should get $4x4.

Isn’t that what the genius normally pays a 3rd liner?
That's mean ! Either that or your bowl needs more algae.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 pm we are leading 4-2, gaunce is having a good game

but i'm NOT HAPPY

bc Boeser is pointless
Hey, it's OK, he easily could have, and it's almost a fluke he didn't have 3 points.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm Doc not everyone has our vision and patience.
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm Stop spewing Bubbles Negative crap. We could creep into a wild card spot no problem, Bo is back ffs!
You speak of vision and patience, but are unwilling to forego a chance to be eliminated in the first round WIN THE STANLEY CUP for a chance to draft a player who projects to be the cornerstone of a playoff team for a decade BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE DRAFT LOTTERY ONCE AGAIN.
:mex:

Just pointing out the holes in your logic Cliffy.

Here's another:

Our current best young player was drafted after a season in which "we made the playoffs and were eliminated in the first round". :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am
You speak of vision and patience, but are unwilling to forego a chance to be eliminated in the first round WIN THE STANLEY CUP for a chance to draft a player who projects to be the cornerstone of a playoff team for a decade BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE DRAFT LOTTERY ONCE AGAIN.

Here's another:

Our current best young player was drafted after a season in which "we made the playoffs and were eliminated in the first round". :wink:
What does that say about the rest of the draft picks.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

You're right: expressed just as a description of possible outcomes, it cuts both ways. To decide which course is better, we need to get quantitative about the relative probabilities. My implied assertion -- and I expect most hockey analysts, including Jim Benning, would agree with me -- is that a 2018 Canucks team that finishes outside the playoffs has a better chance (a much better chance, really) of winning the draft lottery than a Canucks team that somehow makes the playoffs has of winning the 2018 Stanley Cup.
Here's another:

A statistical anomaly. In general, players drafted higher have a better chance of making an impact in the NHL than players drafted later. Otherwise, GMs would not care so much about their draft position, and the NHL would not have brought in a lottery system to determine the order (as you well know).

Drafting Rasmus Dahlin would do more to make your prediction of 2019 early playoff round success from the Canucks likely than anything else I can think of.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 pm You speak of vision and patience, but are unwilling to forego a chance to be eliminated in the first round WIN THE STANLEY CUP for a chance to draft a player who projects to be the cornerstone of a playoff team for a decade BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE DRAFT LOTTERY ONCE AGAIN.

You're right: expressed just as a description of possible outcomes, it cuts both ways. To decide which course is better, we need to get quantitative about the relative probabilities. My implied assertion -- and I expect most hockey analysts, including Jim Benning, would agree with me -- is that a 2018 Canucks team that finishes outside the playoffs has a better chance (a much better chance, really) of winning the draft lottery than a Canucks team that somehow makes the playoffs has of winning the 2018 Stanley Cup.
Well I posted an extreme to contrast YOUR extreme, but fine let's adjust that to fit your present logical needs...

WIN THE STANLEY CUP... becomes... GAIN VALUABLE PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE

This drastically diminishes your argument about odds.

Now it becomes odds of landing "a 1st round steal" vs odds of winning the draft lottery.

Don't forget that aside from a long-odds-ticket in the draft lottery

... the draft spot is almost the same when it comes to just making/just missing the playoffs.

(in your "eliminated in the 1st round" scenario)

And don't forget that having a "draft guru" at the helm greatly increases the odds of landing a 1st round steal. :mex:

This is going to come down to how much "we" :mrgreen: value "gaining valuable playoff experience".

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am Here's another:

A statistical anomaly. In general, players drafted higher have a better chance of making an impact in the NHL than players drafted later. Otherwise, GMs would not care so much about their draft position, and the NHL would not have brought in a lottery system to determine the order (as you well know).
Statistical anomalies tend to happen where geniuses are involved, just saying. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am Our current best young player was drafted after a season in which "we made the playoffs and were eliminated in the first round". :wink:
What does that say about the rest of the draft picks.
UMMMMMM.... absolutely nothing. :scowl:

23rd overall Boeser should have gone top-3 in 2015... none of "the rest of the draft picks" under Lord Benning were in the top 3.

Go to Oz my friend, seek out the wizard...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Last night was one of the best games I have seen Jake play. His work with and away from the puck was commendable. Louie was also very noticeable.

Brockey_Hockey can no longer hide out of the spotlight. Chicago targeted him and blanketed him. Every time he had the puck in the offensive zone, there was a stick on his stick. This may open things up for Bo/Berachia.

Guds was.

For the first half, I kept saying to myself "shoot the fucking puck." Way to many passes trying to set up an open chance. That wasn't Crawford between the pipes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm
23rd overall Boeser should have gone top-3 in 2015... none of "the rest of the draft picks" under Lord Benning were in the top 3.
Maybe Benning just performs poorly under the pressure.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm 23rd overall Boeser should have gone top-3 in 2015... none of "the rest of the draft picks" under Lord Benning were in the top 3.
Maybe Benning just performs poorly under the pressure.
So for the record, which players drafted by your favorite team's GM are you betting against? :mex:

Bonus question: Have you ever taken a ritualistic blood oath in the pale moonlight involving a fishmonger and... bubbles?
____
Try to focus on someday.