Sabres at Canucks 7 pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Sabres at Canucks 7 pm

Post by Mickey107 »

Interesting post game from Markstrom. He's pretty pissed. Said lack of motivation from his team-mates and himself. Very candid.
If a game like this makes you feel good in regards to a higher draft pick, well, whatever gets you through the night. ;)
I however, find this very disturbing. I see Brock trying to carry the whole world on his back. He is busting his ass off.
I knew it would take Bo quite some time to get up to speed but there are only so many excuses for all the others and that bag is nearly empty.
When you got guys like Tanev running around, missing assigments, you know there's a bigger problem then just saying we suck.
Sorry folks but at this point I have to call it like I see it.
We are poorly coached and it's showing now. Complete confusion.

Holy crap! Reefs almost a Legend. :P
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 pm I thought his season had been going fine up until the last 3-4 weeks. Wasn't concerned about the lack of scoring, but now all the good little things he'd been doing away from the play seem to be fewer and further between. He's just not an intelligent player.

I'd like to see him succeed, but it's becoming more and more apparent if he's to avoid being a bust, it'll happen for another organization.

Sadly, I just don't see it though.
Perhaps there is a hockey trade available this dead line ?

It’s a dangerous move trading a kid who might become the next Bertuzzi but maybe unloading him now before the rest of the league figures out he ain’t the sharpest tack in the box ?

Dunno just speculating

Would take some cajones and the right trade tho
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm Another LE no show.

$6m for how many more years, gold Jerry gold.
I wouldn't mind sitting him for a couple games. :P Maybe rotate him with the likes of Jake and Gauncer. They can take turns being the healthy scratch.
Green does not have the balls to do this.

Plus it makes the Genius look a little less than a genius that any reasonable person would see.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 am

Plus it makes the Genius look a little less than a genius that any reasonable person would see.
Ignoring his brutal contract, is LE really worthy of the press-box? I missed the game, but it seems to me he's playing like a $3M player. So yeah, horrible value for what the organization is getting, but still one of the best 12 forwards Green can deploy.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 am

Ignoring his brutal contract, is LE really worthy of the press-box? I missed the game, but it seems to me he's playing like a $3M player. So yeah, horrible value for what the organization is getting, but still one of the best 12 forwards Green can deploy.
LE was not the problem last night. On the second goal, Henrik was chasing the puck carrier with Stecher and left the Baptiste all alone... That cost the Canucks the two points.

When Vanek is on his game, he puts up points. When he is not, he hardly back checks and floats most of the time.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 am

No I do not think LE is the problem but for his contract amount he needs to be producing a heck of a lot more than he is.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am No I do not think LE is the problem
.................... :shock: ....................

:lol:

You've changed man...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 am
BladesofSteel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 pm I thought his season had been going fine up until the last 3-4 weeks. Wasn't concerned about the lack of scoring, but now all the good little things he'd been doing away from the play seem to be fewer and further between. He's just not an intelligent player.

I'd like to see him succeed, but it's becoming more and more apparent if he's to avoid being a bust, it'll happen for another organization.

It’s a dangerous move trading a kid who might become the next Bertuzzi but maybe unloading him now before the rest of the league figures out he ain’t the sharpest tack in the box ?

Dunno just speculating

I’m assuming you’re talking about Virtanen.

Recall that Bert never developed a 200’ game in Vancouver. The puck had to be in our end for quite a while for him to even make it back to our blueline.

Jake isn’t a problem yet.

Our problem is that since Dorsett was forced to retire every vet we have is a soft player. Maybe the Sedins and Tanev and Loui are professional examples off the ice. But on the ice they have no bite and the “emotional” leadership of this group is left to Bo and Brock.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Dunno just speculating

Recall that Bert never developed a 200’ game in Vancouver. The puck had to be in our end for quite a while for him to even make it back to our blueline.

Our problem is that since Dorsett was forced to retire every vet we have is a soft player. Maybe the Sedins and Tanev and Loui are professional examples off the ice. But on the ice they have no bite and the “emotional” leadership of this group is left to Bo and Brock.
+1 Very well said!
"evolution"
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Dunno just speculating

When I posted this I was thinking in terms of what if.

What if JK’s hockey IQ never improves?

At some point the kid starts producing and playing the game he was drafted for or he won’t and it’s time to cut their losses and trade him.

By then though there will be enough of a
sample size for other teams to know what JK’s ceiling is.

Right now his stock may never be higher. He’s still a first rounder with the body and tools to be a force. Perhaps now is the time to look at what he would bring back in trade ?

I want to make clear I’m not saying thats what Benning should do, I’m asking if it’s time to start asking the question.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 am When I posted this I was thinking in terms of what if.

What if JK’s hockey IQ never improves?

At some point the kid starts producing and playing the game he was drafted for or he won’t and it’s time to cut their losses and trade him.

By then though there will be enough of a
sample size for other teams to know what JK’s ceiling is.

Right now his stock may never be higher. He’s still a first rounder with the body and tools to be a force. Perhaps now is the time to look at what he would bring back in trade ?

I want to make clear I’m not saying thats what Benning should do, I’m asking if it’s time to start asking the question.
Good post UK.

It seems many of us have a tough time giving up on prospects the team has drafted and then developed over a period of time (I definitely do). We follow the progress of a player and sometimes (or perhaps many times) become over-attached, notwithstanding what outsiders may see as an obvious ceiling/flaw/etc.

With Jake, I keep hoping that the toolbox will catch up to the tools. Not sure if that is ever going to happen but perhaps having seen some success with later developing power forwards in the past (e.g. Bertuzzi) makes me a little hesitant of giving up on him even at this stage. That said, it does seem that the longer we go down this road, the more it becomes apparent that his ceiling is less than we had hoped. Maybe JB sees something that we are not and Jake ends up blossoming into the player he was projected to be when he was initially drafted but it is certainly looking less and less likely.

Ultimately, the question you pose above in respect of Jake is one that I would hope JB has top-of-mind all the time with respect to all players - constantly gauging the market value of players against their value to the team (i.e. team's success with player vs. team's success with assets player could return).

Anyone have any thoughts on what the return for Jake would be at the moment?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu