GDT: Dec 5 - Canucks host Canes - 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Dec 5 - Canucks host Canes - 7pm

Post by Jovocop »

micky107 wrote:Why does this team, historically, so often come out flat in the first?
Never been able to figure that one out. Must be a Van thing. Too laid back?
Nope, they came out flying against the leaves in the first.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Blob said Markstrom was playing LAST_YEAR as well as Miller. That was a fallacy. Bubbles likes his phallisies.
There wasn’t much difference in their play. Certainly not enough to justify paying one of them six million per . One guy is declining and the other has a chance to improve
Blobby was vocal about not resigning Miller or any other vet and to let Markstrom take the reins. So far, he's been proven right.

And seriously... Rats? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:Blob said Markstrom was playing LAST_YEAR as well as Miller. That was a fallacy. Bubbles likes his phallisies.
There wasn’t much difference in their play. Certainly not enough to justify paying one of them six million per . One guy is declining and the other has a chance to improve
Blobby was vocal about not resigning Miller or any other vet and to let Markstrom take the reins. So far, he's been proven right.

And seriously... Rats? :D
Don’t go all reef on me corn... did you not see the winky emoticon :?:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:Don’t go all reef on me corn... did you not see the winky emoticon :?:
I'm not even 1/2 way through my coffee... I can barely read... You expect to decipher little yellow circles?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jovocop wrote:
micky107 wrote:Why does this team, historically, so often come out flat in the first?
Then we should have a tribute every home game! A little pumped. :mrgreen:
I will never forget that 20 second, twelve pass delayed penalty goal.
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:Don’t go all reef on me corn... did you not see the winky emoticon :?:
I'm not even 1/2 way through my coffee... I can barely read... You expect to decipher little yellow circles?
Fair enough, I forgive you :mex:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Then we should have a tribute every home game! A little pumped. :mrgreen:
I will never forget that 20 second, twelve pass delayed penalty goal.
How about last night with Hank doing the dipsey doodle dangle, only to be poke checked by the goalie. But the Sedins have stepped up the Sedinery these past few games.

Ya that 12 pass was a thing of beauty.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
How about last night with Hank doing the dipsey doodle dangle, only to be poke checked by the goalie. But the Sedins have stepped up the Sedinery these past few games.

That would have been sweet. It was some vintage rare stuff that we haven't seen in ages. He also <gasp!> shot the puck from the slot after Dank drop-passed it to him :shock:

It's little things like that would have increased both their career totals if they weren't both so stubborn about things sometimes... like shooting.

Seeing the Dank tribute, you noticed that he did score quite a few with dekes, going shelf, etc. and yet all you remember is they're so bad in shootouts and flubbed so many more chances 1-on-1 with the goalie.

It's like that whole misconception that they're slow and only cycle, but they have the most goals off the rush in franchise history.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hank wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

That would have been sweet. It was some vintage rare stuff that we haven't seen in ages. He also <gasp!> shot the puck from the slot after Dank drop-passed it to him :shock:

It's little things like that would have increased both their career totals if they weren't both so stubborn about things sometimes... like shooting.

Seeing the Dank tribute, you noticed that he did score quite a few with dekes, going shelf, etc. and yet all you remember is they're so bad in shootouts and flubbed so many more chances 1-on-1 with the goalie.

It's like that whole misconception that they're slow and only cycle, but they have the most goals off the rush in franchise history.
22 minutes of vintage Sedinery:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: How about last night with Hank doing the dipsey doodle dangle, only to be poke checked by the goalie. But the Sedins have stepped up the Sedinery these past few games.

With BoHo-Brockstar taking most of the attention and tuff matchups, I think it's giving the Sedins a chance to play a secondary scoring role. For the first time in years (maybe a decade?), they have way more time and space to do their Sedinary magic as they don't have to face the opposing team's top checkers all nite. As we all know, give the Sedins extra time and space to do their passing and cycle game, they'll be tuff to contain and they'll give the other coach a headache all nite.

I think Vanek and Eriksson are benefiting by playing a secondary scoring role as well. These guys (Sedins + Vanek + Eriksson) have been the go to guys for their respective clubs for years and if they were getting most of the tuff matchups now, they'd probably struggle. However, at this stage of their careers (their age), if they're playing on a deep team and they don't have to be the top line guys, they're showing they can still excel by putting up points and they still have plenty in the tank.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thanks Per. Intellectually I remember how great they are. But emotionally I forget sometimes just how special they are. Man they can dominate shifts. That was fun to watch.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Blobby was vocal about not resigning Miller or any other vet and to let Markstrom take the reins. So far, he's been proven right.
Aww how cute! :thumbs:

I'm not going to ruin this by pointing out that 3 years previously...

Blobby wanted disgraced goaltender Eddie Lack to take the reins rather than Ryan Miller. :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote: Blobby was vocal about not resigning Miller or any other vet and to let Markstrom take the reins. So far, he's been proven right.
Aww how cute! :thumbs:

I'm not going to ruin this by pointing out that 3 years previously...

Blobby wanted disgraced goaltender Eddie Lack to take the reins rather than Ryan Miller. :santa:
I would have had no problem with them running with Lack and Markstrom and never signing Miller. Lack outplayed Miller in their only season together after a pretty decent rookie year. He obviously worked well with Rollie Melanson. His game was above average here and then nosedived when he didnt have Melanson as a goalie coach.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I would have had no problem with them running with Lack and Markstrom and never signing Miller.
What is this... True Confessions?? :lol:

Lol Lacking Lack has has a few coaches since then, such a lame-o excuse...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I would have had no problem with them running with Lack and Markstrom and never signing Miller. Lack outplayed Miller in their only season together after a pretty decent rookie year. He obviously worked well with Rollie Melanson. His game was above average here and then nosedived when he didnt have Melanson as a goalie coach.
True dat. Torts was more confident with Lack over Luo in the big Heritage Classic game as well, which drew the end of Lou's tenure here.