GDT: 11/28/17 Canucks @ Isles. 4:PM. SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: 11/28/17 Canucks @ Isles. 4:PM. SNP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I said this last game and it applied last night. Boeser is playing tired. He needs a few days off, get some rest, maybe hit the gym. He was yawning on the bench last night.
Can you imagine the screaming from the fans if this happened. They would have to call it upper or lower body injury. As others said he is starting to get the top opposing teams checkers now so he needs to learn to battle through it.

Ya the fans would scream and yes he needs to learn to battle through it. But he took a big hit from Hall and was a little wobbly. He's looked tired since. Not saying he has concussions symptoms because that hasn't been reported. Just saying he hasn't had the luxury, ever, in his career to play this many games in such a short period of time, with all the travel.

Why not put Goldobin in for a game or two and give Boeser a maintenance day or two. It may also light a fire under him knowing he has to learn to battle through and not start coasting and doing flyby checks. That soft play he showed in the prospects camp and a lot of training camp is on display right now and it looks like a little fatigue. Maybe physical, maybe mental.

Anyway, I'm really not worried about him. But we do have options.
20 years old? Only one thing I can think of that could cause fatigue. Nah, couldn't be that. :mrgreen:
I would, however, be curious if he is still studying. I can see some late nights there. Just a thought.
If true, not something for public consumption.

Although I don't quite agree with Topper's condemnation of Stecher being the root of all the defensive problems on the team, he is right in regards to maybe a little less team bonding and a little more practice, even video class, on an extended stay-over.

By now it's obvious that Green has given the green light to defense men to join or even initiate the rush, and that's cool but no one is covering, so you end up with one lone defense man trying to cover the onslaught when it screws up. Not good. Hell, we're clogging up the neutral zone FOR the defending team. Yikes

Seriously though, when you are the forward closest to the gap left by the rushing D-man, that is your cover. It should be automatic and almost instantaneous. You shouldn't be looking around to see what others are doing.
If your closest, it's on you...
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just saying he hasn't had the luxury, ever, in his career to play this many games in such a short period of time, with all the travel.
I noted prior to the season that I thought he may wear down with the riggors of the NHL sched over the NAACP sched.

Not sure if that is the case now. Hey Horvat had gone (relatively) cold as the D is now concentrating on Brocks shot, Bo is seeing more space. Yeah he's getting leaned on.

Notice the Sedin line icetime is equally the Horvat line icetime recently.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Atta boy Henrik. Guy kicks your foot out with his foot and you glare at him. Give the asshole some fucking lumber.
Not gonna start now bloberino
Assholes are born not made.
Defending yourself isn’t being an asshole. Matthias Ohlund had a great wood chop on Mikko Koivu and he was as clean a player that there was. I’m not asking him to become Bobby Clarke or Ken Linseman
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Agree that the defensive play sucked. Edler had a lousy game.
Steicher and Del Zero were terrible. Agree with Topper Biega is playing
Far better than either.
Putting Vanek with Ericsson centered by Sutter makes sense..
Sutter is decent on face offs and better defensively than Granlund.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:[
Doc, I read an article this morning about our old bud Roberto having a resurgence lately and maybe not looking like he will retire on that recapture nightmare and that coming back to haunt us just as boeser, goldobin et al will be looking for their next big contracts etc.

I admit I really can’t wrap my head around the details of the byproduct raping the bettman gave us through Gillis...
But what say, Lindenning trades that former panther Dman that no one seems to want to give the big contract to for luongo then convince Roberto to retire a Canuck and give him a front office job or maybe a coaching gig or even pay him to sip grappa on a beach somewhere?

Would that get us out from under on two contracts; the Dman no one wants to pay and our man luo?

I’m asking because I remember reading your posts awhile back on the recapture thingy...
Lou's wife would never allow him come back to Vancouver (he has a NTC).

And if he were to "retire a Canuck"... Canucks would still be hit with the recapture penalty.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I just don’t think Sutter can get those two guys the puck often enough. I do like Eriksson and Vanek together though.
Agreed, those two need a playmaking centre... which Sutter, God love him, is not.

Definitely a foundational player though by my definition...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Defending yourself isn’t being an asshole. Matthias Ohlund had a great wood chop on Mikko Koivu and he was as clean a player that there was. I’m not asking (Henrik) to become Bobby Clarke or Ken Linseman
Bobby Clarke. :blush:

Having said that, a player can be reasonably clean and still be an asshole.

Matthias Ohlund was an asshole by my definition, he hit to hurt...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I just don’t think Sutter can get those two guys the puck often enough. I do like Eriksson and Vanek together though.
Agreed, those two need a playmaking centre... which Sutter, God love him, is not.

Put Hank there?!?!?
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Put Hank there?!?!?
That’s some out of the box thinking

But what do you do with Dank ?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:[
Doc, I read an article this morning about our old bud Roberto having a resurgence lately and maybe not looking like he will retire on that recapture nightmare and that coming back to haunt us just as boeser, goldobin et al will be looking for their next big contracts etc.

I admit I really can’t wrap my head around the details of the byproduct raping the bettman gave us through Gillis...
But what say, Lindenning trades that former panther Dman that no one seems to want to give the big contract to for luongo then convince Roberto to retire a Canuck and give him a front office job or maybe a coaching gig or even pay him to sip grappa on a beach somewhere?

Would that get us out from under on two contracts; the Dman no one wants to pay and our man luo?

I’m asking because I remember reading your posts awhile back on the recapture thingy...
Lou's wife would never allow him come back to Vancouver (he has a NTC).

And if he were to "retire a Canuck"... Canucks would still be hit with the recapture penalty.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the American wife...

Shit are we gonna have the same issue with Harry??
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

To clarify a bit. I do not think Stecher's game is anywhere near where it needs to be so far this year.
Most of the rest are not either. Part of this is because of the new rules hindering so many options defense men had in the past. It isn't just us, you can see this league wide.
IMO, Stecher should have a stint in Utica putting in 18 to 20= minutes per game, in all situations to get him back in the right direction. He wouldn't like the baby pay-check for a couple of months but it could lead to a better one come next contract, if it worked out well.
But it can't because the option doesn't exist. And thank-you HW for reminding me about the 60 game rule back in the late summer.
But in this case, it begs a question. Why did this happen?
I do believe in a coach having complete autonomy to run the team as he sees fit.
Seems clear to me that Trevor and Jim offer that but at what point, if your a GM, do you step in.
Personally, I don't think Jim would have been out of line if he had told WD: Do not let this guy get to that 60 game thresh hold. It could hinder my plans and the team's options next year.
Others may have different thoughts on this.

Why did he look good the first half season last year?
Because he prepared. Was coming from a great program in N. Dakota.
Did his homework on learning the NHL league. Something he had help with.
He worked with the Sedins in July 2016 practicing here in Vancouver.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Lou's wife would never allow him come back to Vancouver (he has a NTC).

Only if he gets too chummy with a local lady? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Lou's wife would never allow him come back to Vancouver (he has a NTC).

Only if he gets too chummy with a local lady? :wink:
According to reed, that’s a bad thing. Perish the thought !