GDT: Canucks@ Flames Nov 7/17 SNP 6:00 PM

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks@ Flames Nov 7/17 SNP 6:00 PM

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote:Great win! Markstrom won that for us in the first two periods. Off to Cowpuke to read about how the Flames dominated us, we are lucky, the refs sucked, the refs gave us the game etc etc etc.
Mostly, Flames better team. Canucks were lucky, goaltending won it for us. Oh yes at least 1 blamed it on the ref.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Gonna eat a Mexican tomorrow!
Do it slow and maintain eye contact
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

5-1 on the road. Gotta like that.

Agree that if the Sedins are showing signs of life and if Gange is getting it going, with Vanek getting the occasional goal, we are a playoff team. A lot of ifs.

Defensively we were sloppy tonight. Baumgartner mixed up the D pairings and we looked out of sync. Not sure why he did that. Pouliot has been a nice surprise but he and Hutton play a similar game. Hutton with huge minutes and a few glaring give always.

Calgary dominated the first two but got very disorganized when we went up by two. A goalie is part of the team and our goalie was sensational. We need to find a way to get his early first goal disallowed every game :mrgreen:

Special teams, two on the PP and one shorty. Not bad for a nights work. If our PP can start to click with more frequency we will win more than we lose. It was the difference tonight.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I guess the Sedins do have to play together.
Virtanen laid that same pass to Hank from the same spot last game and he muffed it.

Like I said, the Flames have lots of talent but give up a ton of open space.
Marky lost a few pounds tonight.
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Jovocop wrote:Vanek should just shoot he puck whenever he could. What a shot!
Boy, Vanek can really rip the puck. For a Canuck forward, he probably has the best slapper since... since... since... ahm.... he may be the best ever. Kind of wish we could have got this guy a few years earlier when the Sedins were still on top of their games, they would have been dynamite together.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Boy, Vanek can really rip the puck. For a Canuck forward, he probably has the best slapper since... since... since... ahm.... he may be the best ever. Kind of wish we could have got this guy a few years earlier when the Sedins were still on top of their games, they would have been dynamite together.
Bure and Salo? Agreed, Vanek can really slap the puck.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

In 2017, if the Sedins beat you on a two on one break, you have serious problems.

Gaunce slowly picked up his game as it went on and became more comfortable and confident out there. I have a hard time seeing where he fits in the lineup though unless he displaces Granlund on the Sutter line freeing Granlund to take over either Gagger's or Bermishave's role and play with Vanek.

Walt's grandson is dumb, no wonder their fans love him.

Remember leading into the 2010 Olympics and the Bountiful faithful thought their D would dominate the selection process...and didn't. History is repeating.

Gullickson has them playing a bit of a neutral zone trap but with an aggressive forecheck.

Markstrom frustrated the hell out of the Flames until they flat out gave up playing in their own end and concentrated on trying to beat the hot hand.

Smith.......fits in a long line of BB goaltenders.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

Rick Vaive?
The only HW the Canucks need
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Weird ice-times last night:

Sedins under 11:30, but looked fresh and dangerous in the 3rd.

Hutton leading all D with 25:25.

MDZ down to 20:11. Guddy at 17:29.

It seems like Green is changing around which D he loads up on, while Tanev is usually locked in at 21 minutes-ish. MDZ was over 26 minutes vs. Penguins on Saturday.

It seems to me to be game management by Green, and getting the Sedins out there for a 3rd period breakaway makes it all worthwhile!
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

* Sometimes all it takes in one period. The Flames were as bad in the third as they were good in the first two. The Canucks played like a veteran team after the Horvat goal. A far cry from how they played after tying things up against Detroit.

* I was confused by the comments on this board the past couple of days wondering where Gaunce would fit into the lineup. He's the 14th forward when all are healthy, and that's okay for him and the team, especially considering the lack of depth in year's past. If you can send you 14th forward out in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period, then he's doing at least one thing right.

* Gagner's signed to do more, but I am glad that he's decided to be irritating even if the points are few and far between. Better than floating. Glad to see him score.

* Horvat really is the modern young player, making the use of skills to try to beat guys in situations where the traditional view would be to peel off and establish possession. This might be the biggest change we've seen in hockey philosophy in the past few years. The defense is going to win most of these battles, but when they don't, a high quality scoring chance often results. So long as the turnovers aren't in a dangerous place for an odd man counter, go for it.

* Now we no what it takes for Sutter to pass on a two on one. Go past the net. But I still bet he was trying to bank it in off Smith!

* The Canucks got 1 point in two well played games against Stars and Devils. Then they get outworked and outskilled for the majority of 3 games against the Pens, Wings, and Flames yet come away with 4 points and what could have been at least 5 but for a very late Wings goal. These last 3 games are good for the standings overall, but they are harbingers of bad times to come. Marky's bailed out a defense that is looking increasingly disorganized, but depending on an at-best league-average goalie to win you games isn't a long term strategy.
Hono_rary Canadian
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

UW, my question for Gaunce fitting in is what happens when Louie returns?

ESQ, Ice times were messed up by strings of penalties.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hutton makes mistakes and eventually has to clean things up however his fitness level, (endurance), is very good
so at this point, Green really doesn't have a choice when games are filled with special teams work.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote:UW, my question for Gaunce fitting in is what happens when Louie returns?
Great question. Gaunce is 14 with a healthy Louie. If the GM wants 8 D (and Edler is back), then Guance is waived to Utica. The chances of losing him are relatively small, and the chance that such a loss would adversely impact the Canucks in any meaningful way now or in the future is also fairly small. His ceiling is low, and he might just be there now. He is a tweener, nothing more, without top 6 potential and with only a small potential of being part of a good shut down line long term. The chance of losing him is minimal because while teams take flyers on potential scorers (see Boucher), they tend to prefer their own grinders an know that average grinders are available for league minimum every offseason.

Of course, there is also a considerable chance that another Canuck will be bound for the IR by the time Louie returns, delaying the decision. This delay might last the whole season and a spot will be freed up when Vanek is dealt (presuming the Canucks do that).

And the third alternative is carrying 14 forwards and going to 7 defensemen, only one of whom is waiver-exempt (Stetcher). If one of the lefties could be effective on the right side, I would probably prefer this approach. I like what Pouliot brings more than Stetcher at the moment. In the past, though, I've felt Stetcher needs to be worked over in the NHL as opposed to succeed in the AHL to improve. Until the Canucks fall back to earth in the standings, I am more interested in icing the best team possible without losing assets as opposed to making every decision for player development (most of the time, these interests are aligned).

Still, I think I'd still waive Guance. I like carrying 8 D and think that Biega can take 8-10 not-so-terrible minutes as a 12th forward in a pinch to cover nicks and the inevitable illness wave that doesn't get guys to the IR.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I would probable waive him too, although it is my belief, he would get picked up this time.
Other teams really starting to feel their vulnerability in regards to depth.
It's a loss but it's also a numbers game and nothing goes perfect.
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I feel sorry for Gaunce. He could almost score an empty net goal last night but Giordano had to knock the puck off... :|